• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have One Pass Play

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Cincy is watching film on our bubble screens as we speak.  If they try this same nonsense against them, it will get picked off for a pick six.  Book it!

Here's a thought.  Pump that bubble screen and throw it down the field.  What are the odds we see that Saturday???

There is a 1% chance that happens.  Because Cinci knows that we know that they know that we know that they know we might try that.

Right.  But it will work because we know that they know that we know that they know that we know that they know we might try it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Cincy is watching film on our bubble screens as we speak.  If they try this same nonsense against them, it will get picked off for a pick six.  Book it!

Here's a thought.  Pump that bubble screen and throw it down the field.  What are the odds we see that Saturday???

Nice thought.  Do you think that it would be a completion down field or that it would end up 10 yards long or possibly down in the turf?

We haven't seen that play in 4 years.  Grothe hit Carlton Mitchell vs Syracuse for a 25 yard TD with that same play.  Why haven't we done it since then?  Especially since those safeties are used to us throwing that screen?  I've been wanting this play in the arsenal each game since.

you realize that was a completely different coaching staff, right? apparently you remember grothe throwing that pass play but you can't remember daniels hitting mitchell in stride 50 yards down the field against syracuse for an 85 yard TD. or remember the 50 yarder in the air to the endzone against wvu. or the 73 yarder play action rollout to Griffin against FSU. nice selective memory.

daniels throws a nice deep ball. especially down the sideline.

THIS.

The kid can throw the football.  Been trying to tell the BJ haters this, but memories are apparently very short-term these days.  

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Nice thought.  Do you think that it would be a completion down field or that it would end up 10 yards long or possibly down in the turf?

We haven't seen that play in 4 years.  Grothe hit Carlton Mitchell vs Syracuse for a 25 yard TD with that same play.  Why haven't we done it since then?  Especially since those safeties are used to us throwing that screen?  I've been wanting this play in the arsenal each game since.

you realize that was a completely different coaching staff, right? apparently you remember grothe throwing that pass play but you can't remember daniels hitting mitchell in stride 50 yards down the field against syracuse for an 85 yard TD. or remember the 50 yarder in the air to the endzone against wvu. or the 73 yarder play action rollout to Griffin against FSU. nice selective memory.

daniels throws a nice deep ball. especially down the sideline.

THIS.

The kid can throw the football.  Been trying to tell the BJ haters this, but memories are apparently very short-term these days.  

like 95% of college QBs , he can't make all the throws the NFL (and some USF fans) expect but the deep ball is definitely in his arsenal. he can't complete it if it's not called.

sure he might be more risk averse than he was back then (that probably has to do with all our "fans" trashing the kid for throwing INTs-something even tom brady does) but that doesn't mean he can't complete them.

we rarely call anything down field. once against ND ( he put it in a spot where only his receiver could make the catch-just long)and we almost hit for a big one. never tried it again.

Greg even mentioned how odd it was that we didn't call more pass plays down field against a team that had given up 500 yards in back to back games and is one of the worst in the country defending the pass.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

BJ throws (threw?) a pretty nice deep ball.  As I recall that was one of the knocks on him as a freshman was that was all he threw.  The RU debacle in 2009 had the offense with all the room in the world on underneath passes and nothing deep.  Schiano took the chance that BJ was not up to consistently hitting the short pass; and he wasn't.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

BJ throws (threw?) a pretty nice deep ball.  As I recall that was one of the knocks on him as a freshman was that was all he threw.  The RU debacle in 2009 had the offense with all the room in the world on underneath passes and nothing deep.  Schiano took the chance that BJ was not up to consistently hitting the short pass; and he wasn't.

That was 2009 with BJ as a Freshman.  Isn't it expected that as a 3 year starter, that has now been working with a supposed QB development guru for two years, that he has rounded out his game to be able to feel more comfortable and has developed an ability to hit a variety of passes rather than working on just raw physical ability? 

If BJ hasn't developed the ability to hit at least several different length passes then that has to be on coaching or BJ is uncoachable which I highly doubt. 

I just get the feeling that, just like last year, the coaching staff wants to protect BJ from rolling out on a regular basis and this keeps him from being athletic and forces him to be more of a pocket passer where he is less comfortable. 

He doesnt need to be just throwing bombs, but what about those nice 8 to 10 yard rollout passes to the TEs  he has shown he can hit those.   How about some throws down the seam?  What about finding a receiver that is tough enough to go over the middle or creating some space in a dead spot of a zone like all the other teams do against us.   Everyone is so worried about bj daniels interception totals.  I could care less how many he has, its more about how he makes them.  The two the other day weren't a result of making bad decisions.  The first one, in my opinion was a pass that BJ makes a great deal of the time.  The UCONN defender made a nice play and if the wind wasn't blowing so hard I bet BJ makes that completion or it goes out of bounds.  The other one was a batted ball.

Stop coddling him and take some chances.  Put him in a position to make some plays.  If he throws INTs big deal.  Its part of the game.  Open up the freaking offense already.

• Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

That was 2009 with BJ as a Freshman.  Isn't it expected that as a 3 year starter, that has now been working with a supposed QB development guru for two years, that he has rounded out his game to be able to feel more comfortable and has developed an ability to hit a variety of passes rather than working on just raw physical ability? 

If BJ hasn't developed the ability to hit at least several different length passes then that has to be on coaching or BJ is uncoachable which I highly doubt. 

I just get the feeling that, just like last year, the coaching staff wants to protect BJ from rolling out on a regular basis and this keeps him from being athletic and forces him to be more of a pocket passer where he is less comfortable. 

He doesnt need to be just throwing bombs, but what about those nice 8 to 10 yard rollout passes to the TEs  he has shown he can hit those.   How about some throws down the seam?  What about finding a receiver that is tough enough to go over the middle or creating some space in a dead spot of a zone like all the other teams do against us.   Everyone is so worried about bj daniels interception totals.  I could care less how many he has, its more about how he makes them.  The two the other day weren't a result of making bad decisions.  The first one, in my opinion was a pass that BJ makes a great deal of the time.  The UCONN defender made a nice play and if the wind wasn't blowing so hard I bet BJ makes that completion or it goes out of bounds.  The other one was a batted ball.

Stop coddling him and take some chances.  Put him in a position to make some plays.  If he throws INTs big deal.  Its part of the game.  Open up the freaking offense already.

I agree.  We have nothing to lose.  Open it up.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

84, I agree.  We are trying not to lose with the passing game as opposed to trying to win. 

I agree they need to take some chances.

he has developed better touch. He can make more throws. They are giving him low risk, low reward type plays.

his completion percentage is up but his yards per attempt are down from his freshman year. yards per attempt is more important than completion percentage.

I just don't want to hear people say he is terrible at throwing the deep ball when it is only called once or twice a game. He has shown in the past (pre-Holtz) that he is actually quite good at throwing the deep ball. even if he only completes 1 of 3, it is well worth the try.

84, I agree.  We are trying not to lose with the passing game as opposed to trying to win. 

exactly.

I want to see our offensive play calls as aggressive as our defensive play calls were against UConn.

run the ball, play action and throw deep.

Snyder realized he made a mistake playing passive against pitt now i hope fitch realizes he was doing the same against UConn.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Be aggreSsive like Raheem. He always goes for the jugular.

Archived