• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have One Pass Play

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

For all of you saying BJ can throw the ball deep as he has "proven" in years past:

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY HE CANT HIT A MOVING RECEIVER THAT IS 30 YARDS DOWNFIELD CONSISTENTLY THIS SEASON?

If I am a coach, how do I give a kid a 45 yard throw when he cannot hit a reciever consistently unless they are standing still like a bubble screen or curl route?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,594

I don't think the O-Line can block long enough for that to happen, quite frankly.  As everyone should remember, because it's arguably the play of the year, BJ slammed a FAMU linebacker down and then shook off another to complete a pass.  Problem is:  that was FAMU!!!!!!  Why the hell are we seeing two or three FAMU defenders in the backfield before BJ can turn around on a PA pass?????  Just imagine what a GOOD defense is going to do.

This is why all the Bobby ppl aren't going to get their wish.  You think BJ is doin bad?  Imagine what Bobby will do when faced with that?  This is also why we keep running these pick-screen passes (tougher to pick-off than you think).  This O-Line, albeit inexperienced, can't give BJ enough time to wait for our slower-than-we-think receivers to get open downfield.  Other than Sterling, who is going to make an impact on a downfield pass?  I don't think Lamar has even tried it, probably because he isn't capable.  Shields?  No.  Marc?  IDK. 

I don't think BJ is the problem yet.  When he is, trust me, I won't go crazy defending him.  But right now I think we have a problem in the trenches.

I don't think the O-Line can block long enough for that to happen, quite frankly.  As everyone should remember, because it's arguably the play of the year, BJ slammed a FAMU linebacker down and then shook off another to complete a pass.  Problem is:  that was FAMU!!!!!!  Why the hell are we seeing two or three FAMU defenders in the backfield before BJ can turn around on a PA pass?????   Just imagine what a GOOD defense is going to do.

This is why all the Bobby ppl aren't going to get their wish.  You think BJ is doin bad?  Imagine what Bobby will do when faced with that?  This is also why we keep running these pick-screen passes (tougher to pick-off than you think).  This O-Line, albeit inexperienced, can't give BJ enough time to wait for our slower-than-we-think receivers to get open downfield.  Other than Sterling, who is going to make an impact on a downfield pass?   I don't think Lamar has even tried it, probably because he isn't capable.  Shields?  No.  Marc?  IDK. 

I don't think BJ is the problem yet.  When he is, trust me, I won't go crazy defending him.   But right now I think we have a problem in the trenches.

Sorry, I had the same problem with BJ last year, including the last few games of the season and bowl game. He would miss guys 20 yards down the field.

Maybe I am wrong and he does have a cannon for an arm. Then he just doesnt have the decision making skills to know who is open and when to release the ball to get it to a receiver at the right time.

• Content Count:  3,594

I don't think the O-Line can block long enough for that to happen, quite frankly.  As everyone should remember, because it's arguably the play of the year, BJ slammed a FAMU linebacker down and then shook off another to complete a pass.  Problem is:  that was FAMU!!!!!!  Why the hell are we seeing two or three FAMU defenders in the backfield before BJ can turn around on a PA pass?????   Just imagine what a GOOD defense is going to do.

This is why all the Bobby ppl aren't going to get their wish.  You think BJ is doin bad?  Imagine what Bobby will do when faced with that?  This is also why we keep running these pick-screen passes (tougher to pick-off than you think).  This O-Line, albeit inexperienced, can't give BJ enough time to wait for our slower-than-we-think receivers to get open downfield.  Other than Sterling, who is going to make an impact on a downfield pass?   I don't think Lamar has even tried it, probably because he isn't capable.  Shields?  No.  Marc?  IDK. 

I don't think BJ is the problem yet.  When he is, trust me, I won't go crazy defending him.   But right now I think we have a problem in the trenches.

Sorry, I had the same problem with BJ last year, including the last few games of the season and bowl game. He would miss guys 20 yards down the field.

Maybe I am wrong and he does have a cannon for an arm. Then he just doesnt have the decision making skills to know who is open and when to release the ball to get it to a receiver at the right time.

He didn't have a problem with deep balls during the Leavitt era.  Ever since Holtz brought the Fitch-Up offense in here he suddenly can't. 

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think the entire team game plan has been play not to lose rather than win. The biggest indicator of that is having Landi at PR.

I think that's fine when you are receiving punts inside your own 30, but a more dynamic runner should have been used out by midfield.

Same with the receivers and passes. Open it up with Gonzalez and Davis more.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

For all of you saying BJ can throw the ball deep as he has "proven" in years past:

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY HE CANT HIT A MOVING RECEIVER THAT IS 30 YARDS DOWNFIELD CONSISTENTLY THIS SEASON?

If I am a coach, how do I give a kid a 45 yard throw when he cannot hit a reciever consistently unless they are standing still like a bubble screen or curl route?

how many times have we thrown it 30 yards down field this year? twice a game maybe?

what is consistently to you? every single time?

check out Greg's blog.

1 total pass attempt in the first quarter. it was a drag route 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

this against a team that had given up 469 yards passing on 48 attempts the week before.

we threw it 21 less times in a loss!!

WVU had passing TDs of 12, 84, 22, and 27.

western michigan had 479 yards passing on 51 attempts!! they had 5 passing Tds .

Vaas had every excuse in the book as to why we didn't attack their defense at it's point of weakness. absolutely terrible game

plan.just like snyders plan to play soft against pitt the game before was terrible. hopefully the offensive coaches learned like the defensive coaches did. attack their weakness. play aggressive.

I understand you hate Daniels for whatever reason but to say he can't throw it deep is nonsense.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Your bias shows when you say you weren't impressed with BJ's bowl game. That was a nearly flawless qb exibition

how many times have we thrown it 30 yards down field this year? twice a game maybe?

what is consistently to you? every single time?

check out Greg's blog.

1 total pass attempt in the first quarter. it was a drag route 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

this against a team that had given up 469 yards passing on 48 attempts the week before.

we threw it 21 less times in a loss!!

WVU had passing TDs of 12, 84, 22, and 27.

western michigan had 479 yards passing on 51 attempts!! they had 5 passing Tds .

Vaas had every excuse in the book as to why we didn't attack their defense at it's point of weakness. absolutely terrible game

plan.just like snyders plan to play soft against pitt the game before was terrible. hopefully the offensive coaches learned like the defensive coaches did. attack their weakness. play aggressive.

I understand you hate Daniels for whatever reason but to say he can't throw it deep is nonsense.

FINE. Look at BALLS STATE, FAMU, and SMU.

Now get back to me with his accuracy.

Look, I dont hate BJ Daniels. I really wish he was 1/2 the QB you people think he is. He is a great athlete. You put the ball in his hands and keep him moving forward and he has some talent. You put the ball in his hands and ask him to read the defense and make a play and he is a deer in headlights. You ask him to hit a receiver on a crossing route and he is almost accurate but not quite.

I just hope I dont hear how BJ is gonna lead us to greatness next year. It just isnt gonna happen.

Your bias shows when you say you weren't impressed with bj daniels bowl game. That was a nearly flawless qb exibition

Flawless? Really? Not what I saw from row 5 behind the team that day.

My problem with him in the bowl game was all of his passes were the screen passes, bubble passes, and very  short dinks and dunks. We started the game with one of our first offensive drives with a 20 yard pass down field and BJ hit the dang defensive back. He was 10 yards off with every "longer" pass play made. What I was saying back then was that BJ doesnt have accuracy down field. It's what I am complaining about now.

• Content Count:  21,297
  • Days Won:  10

How about lets call a screen play, we have not done that type of pass play before.   ;D

He has over thrown on 75% or more of his down field passes that are over 40 yards. 

Archived