• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have One Pass Play

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

For all of you saying BJ can throw the ball deep as he has "proven" in years past:

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY HE CANT HIT A MOVING RECEIVER THAT IS 30 YARDS DOWNFIELD CONSISTENTLY THIS SEASON?

If I am a coach, how do I give a kid a 45 yard throw when he cannot hit a reciever consistently unless they are standing still like a bubble screen or curl route?

how many times have we thrown it 30 yards down field this year? twice a game maybe?

what is consistently to you? every single time?

check out Greg's blog.

1 total pass attempt in the first quarter. it was a drag route 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

this against a team that had given up 469 yards passing on 48 attempts the week before.

we threw it 21 less times in a loss!!

WVU had passing TDs of 12, 84, 22, and 27.

western michigan had 479 yards passing on 51 attempts!! they had 5 passing Tds .

Vaas had every excuse in the book as to why we didn't attack their defense at it's point of weakness. absolutely terrible game

plan.just like snyders plan to play soft against pitt the game before was terrible. hopefully the offensive coaches learned like the defensive coaches did. attack their weakness. play aggressive.

I understand you hate Daniels for whatever reason but to say he can't throw it deep is nonsense.

FINE. Look at BALLS STATE, FAMU, and SMU.

Now get back to me with his accuracy.

Look, I dont hate BJ Daniels. I really wish he was 1/2 the QB you people think he is. He is a great athlete. You put the ball in his hands and keep him moving forward and he has some talent. You put the ball in his hands and ask him to read the defense and make a play and he is a deer in headlights. You ask him to hit a receiver on a crossing route and he is almost accurate but not quite.

I just hope I dont hear how BJ is gonna lead us to greatness next year. It just isnt gonna happen.

he was the 33rd most efficient passer in the country his freshman year.

he had 4 TD passes of 49 yards or more.

He led the ncaa's in yards per attempt for most of the season.

hardly any of those stats came against the early cupcakes as grothe played most of the time.

BTW completion percentage(accuracy) isn't as important as yards per attempt.

Holtz doesn't like to gamble and go down the field. it's stupid for you to criticize daniels for something holtz doesn't even ask him to try but once or twice a game. I don't expect him to hit on every chance. nobody could. not even tom brady. but if you give him enough chances he will hit on enough to make it pay off.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just because a moving target at 30 yards seemed like a pretty tough throw to demand of a college quarterback I looked up what the challenges were on the old NFL quarterback challenge.  Looks like 30 yard moving target would be pretty challenging for NFL QBs too.  Two of the challenges were:

The "Accuracy" competition involves the quarterbacks throwing at moving targets (golf carts with big inflatable bull’s eyes attached).  The targets are spread out at different distances (10 yards, 20 yards, 40 yards, etc.).   The object is to try to hit the centre of the bull’s eye on each target.  Points are awarded for hitting the outer bands as well (think of an archery target) … and “He who gets the most points winsâ€.

"Long Distance Throw" tests the quarterbacks’ ability to accurately throw the ball deep.  Each quarterback will get :30 seconds to throw nine balls approximately 45 yards down the field into a 5’ x 5’ bucket.  To qualify as a completed throw, the ball must land in the catch basket.  If the ball hits inside the catch basket, but bounces out, it will still be considered a completed pass.  The quarterback with the most completed passes into the catch basked will be declared the winner.

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1022157

How about lets call a screen play, we have not done that type of pass play before.   ;D

He has over thrown on 75% or more of his down field passes that are over 40 yards. 

care to show proof.

you guys keep spouting this b.s. like it's actually backed by something other than your opinion.

once again the kid has proven he can throw down filed. hell he was one of the statistically best in the ncaa's at it his freshman year.

BTW hitting on one out of 4 past 40 yards would be absolutely incredible. just sling it 16 times a game and you could have 4 TDs over 40 yards.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

He didn't have a problem with deep balls during the Leavitt era.  Ever since Holtz brought the Fitch-Up offense in here he suddenly can't. 

Oh, it is an F'ed Up Offense alright.  I just don't think Fitch is what I would use for the F.

• Content Count:  7,379

How many of those passes you keep spouting about were thrown as a bubble screen that broke free for 49 yards or more?

Also, if he was so great as a freshmen, what the hell happened to the kid with 2 years of more practice?

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I dont care what stats say, i have eyeballs. I am also a BJ fan but he does not put any fear in the opposing defense with his arm but does put the fear in our own coaching staff when he throws. 

their coaches know that and so do ours.  that is why we do not run plays that require more than a 5 yard pass.  Reminds me of how the Jets treat Mark Sanchez.  short passes, limit mistakes, but lack big play fear and keep the defense in the box. 

all i want for christmas is a gun slinging qb at usf one day.  does chad barnhardt have any eligibilty left?

How many of those passes you keep spouting about were thrown as a bubble screen that broke free for 49 yards or more?

Also, if he was so great as a freshmen, what the hell happened to the kid with 2 years of more practice?

none of them. go back and watch the highlights. perhaps you weren't a fan then. the play action bomb against FSU. the 50 yarder into the end zone against WVU. the 85 yard play action bomb that was thrown 50 yards in the air against syracuse. go back and watch them.

I never said he was great as a freshman. like Sanjay said, he couldn't throw short or intermediate to save his life. teams forced him to do that to beat them. he threw a beautiful deep ball though.

I dont care what stats say, i have eyeballs. I am also a BJ fan but he does not put any fear in the opposing defense with his arm but does put the fear in our own coaching staff when he throws.   

their coaches know that and so do ours.  that is why we do not run plays that require more than a 5 yard pass.  Reminds me of how the Jets treat Mark Sanchez.  short passes, limit mistakes, but lack big play fear and keep the defense in the box. 

all i want for christmas is a gun slinging qb at usf one day.  does chad barnhardt have any eligibilty left?

I'm fine if you want to criticize his ability to throw over the middle. I'm also fine if you want to criticize him trying to do to much in an impossible situation and throwing a pass that he shouldn't but please don't say he can't throw deep. he has proven he can. just because our current coaches don't call the plays for him to do so doesn't mean he can't.

I'm fine if you want to criticize his ability to throw over the middle. I'm also fine if you want to criticize him trying to do to much in an impossible situation and throwing a pass that he shouldn't but please don't say he can't throw deep. he has proven he can. just because our current coaches don't call the plays for him to do so doesn't mean he can't.

Okay, I'll amend my complain to this:

BJ cannot throw deep accurately AND consistently. Now, if you start citing passes from 2 years ago, you have just proved my point.

none of them. go back and watch the highlights. perhaps you weren't a fan then. the play action bomb against FSU. the 50 yarder into the end zone against WVU. the 85 yard play action bomb that was thrown 50 yards in the air against syracuse. go back and watch them.

I never said he was great as a freshman. like Sanjay said, he couldn't throw short or intermediate to save his life. teams forced him to do that to beat them. he threw a beautiful deep ball though.

Sorry, no newbie here. Been a season ticket holder with 8 club level seats since day one. I drive down from Jax for every home game. I used to fly in from Texas for 80% of them. I'm a fan until the end. I predicted this would happen to our offense BEFORE it happened and I was correct. Teams who know us know how to defend us.

Archived