• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Big East conference call

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  120
  • Days Won:  0

From a men's BBall perspective, Houston and SMU have been to Final Fours (although SMU's was back in the 1950s).  That makes 15 of 17 schools.  Only USF and UCF haven't (or have even been out of the first round).

I don't understand how living in Richmond from 05-10, I have watched VCU basketball in the CAA put out quality basketball year after year who does well in league play, CAA tournament and NCAA tournament, in addition to producing NBA talent.  Some of you may laugh it off, but the CAA actually has quality teams such as Old Dominion and George Mason to name a few.  Why does USF have such an inability to put out quality basketball?

Save that thought for a month or so .... You'll get more response then. Most people only have two wrists to **** and those are being occupied by recent play of the football team and realignment shenanigans.

ok, i def. will hold that thought.  i have this illusion in my head that it's not as bad as everyone says, but fear i'm in for a rude awakening.  now i can go back to reading how our coaching meltdown this weekend was due to humidity, officiating and dry hands. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

From a men's BBall perspective, Houston and SMU have been to Final Fours (although SMU's was back in the 1950s).  That makes 15 of 17 schools.  Only USF and UCF haven't (or have even been out of the first round).

I don't understand how living in Richmond from 05-10, I have watched VCU basketball in the CAA put out quality basketball year after year who does well in league play, CAA tournament and NCAA tournament, in addition to producing NBA talent.  Some of you may laugh it off, but the CAA actually has quality teams such as Old Dominion and George Mason to name a few.  Why does USF have such an inability to put out quality basketball?

That would require excellent coaching, which the CAA has in spades at the moment.  When you are a lower tier team then you have to have creative coaches who see value in players that others do not, and then put them in a position to succeed by running a style that is conducive to the talent you have.  When you see any of this around USF let me know.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

WVU to vote in favor.  I guess that means the Big East will likely survive in some form for one more year.  I'm not sure whether that is the good news or the bad news.

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/201110170087

Absolutely pathetic. Villanova succeeding in keeping Temple out proves that we could have kept UCF out. .

I don't understand how that proves anything.  UCF is ten times better candidate than Temple who has already failed once as a BE member.

• Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Something I've been thinking is.... are any of the Big East teams even desirable to the SEC or BigXII right now, specifically because of the 27 month grace period? If the BigXII needs 10 teams for their TV contract, I think the 27 month obligation would require the BigXII to at least add BYU or another non-BigEast member for the 10th as a Mizzou replacement (Yes, they can take from Big East for 11 and 12, but as a 10th, it wouldn't be helpful).The same goes the SEC if they wanted WVU. They'd have to wait a while at 13 teams and I think they want a team that can come sooner to balance the schedules and renegotiate the TV contract all at once. With the urgency there seems to be for playing in the conferences in 2012,  I thinkthe 27 month exit obligation might actually be a big deterrent at the moment for the other conferences.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

WVU to vote in favor.  I guess that means the Big East will likely survive in some form for one more year.  I'm not sure whether that is the good news or the bad news.

They are voting yes as the fee goes up, but teh lock in time gets dropped.  They would rather pay more and not be locked into 27 months.

The SEC is incredibly patient, as evidence by the painfully slow process to add A&M and Mizzou.  I guess Slive is wary of lawsuits, and knows schools will jump through whatever hoops they need to in order to get into the SEC.  I don't think the 27 month wait is a big deal to them.

The Big 12 is certainly interested in Big East schools, and has even discussed a USF/UCF scenario for the 15th and 16 teams.  The Big 12 would wait, but would probably prefer to blow up the BE and get teams right away.  They are at nine schools, so they only need one more for next year.  Or they keep Mizzou for one more year and need the one school for 2013.  BYU is their top choice for that scenario.  WVU/Louisville and potentially Cincy and USF are among the favored choices for spots 11-16.

They are voting yes as the fee goes up, but teh lock in time gets dropped.  They would rather pay more and not be locked into 27 months.

Where did you see that?  I read the lock in time remains the same.

• Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

greg auman and joe schad have live twitter updates on the conference call right now:

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

the big east will not formally invite anyone until they know for a fact they will accept...

dont know why this is a surprise to some.

Archived