• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Big East conference call

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,656
  • Days Won:  424

gregauman Greg Auman

Big East commissioner John Marinatto said move to 12 teams would go with possible championship game, which he'd like to see in New York City

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I've given JM the benefit of the doubt through most of this because you dont know what's going on behind closed doors but my faith has been shaken with this  ....  :-\

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know.  I don't think you send out invites until you know for sure the one you're asking will say yes.  There's probably some due diligence going on at all of the schools.

???

UCF, SMU, Air Force, and Houston would trip over themselves to join... invite them first... get them in the door so they can play next year... then call up Boise and Navy and iron out the details under the table and then once they are on board issue a formal invite.

Done deal... if I was the Big East Commish I would had sent out the invites to UCF, SMU, Houston, and AF this morning... then send out the other 2 invites Thursday.

WV and Louisville are holding out for a BigXII invite which will come on Thursday... Potato Head is stupid enough to believe them and their stalling tactics.

What I am trying to say is that the schools you invite need to do their due diligence.  Do you really think SMU would say yes if UH says no?  I don't think so.  If you're Boise, do you say yes if AFA says no?  I don't think so.  They all need to be getting together with each other to ensure everyone is on the same page.  That's all I was trying to say.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

gregauman Greg Auman

Big East commissioner John Marinatto said move to 12 teams would go with possible championship game, which he'd like to see in New York City

I've given JM the benefit of the doubt through most of this because you dont know what's going on behind closed doors but my faith has been shaken with this  ....   :-\

I think this may be nothing more than a dig at the ACC for their Madison Square Garden comment. 

It could make some sense, though.  There are enough people in New York that you can get 50,000 to show up for a poodle race.  It wouldn't be too hard to get good attendence to avoid the embarassment some of the other conferences have had.

As for the one week notice, most of the time you will have more than one week notice as teams will have wrapped up their division earlier than the week before.  Even when that doesn't happen, it's down to two schools so preliminary planning can be mapped out.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't know.  I don't think you send out invites until you know for sure the one you're asking will say yes.  There's probably some due diligence going on at all of the schools.

???

UCF, SMU, Air Force, and Houston would trip over themselves to join... invite them first... get them in the door so they can play next year... then call up Boise and Navy and iron out the details under the table and then once they are on board issue a formal invite.

Done deal... if I was the Big East Commish I would had sent out the invites to UCF, SMU, Houston, and AF this morning... then send out the other 2 invites Thursday.

WV and Louisville are holding out for a BigXII invite which will come on Thursday... Potato Head is stupid enough to believe them and their stalling tactics.

What I am trying to say is that the schools you invite need to do their due diligence.  Do you really think SMU would say yes if UH says no?  I don't think so.  If you're Boise, do you say yes if AFA says no?  I don't think so.  They all need to be getting together with each other to ensure everyone is on the same page.  That's all I was trying to say.

I would expect they have already had those conversations and will be ready if/when the official invites come out.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

gregauman Greg Auman

I've given JM the benefit of the doubt through most of this because you dont know what's going on behind closed doors but my faith has been shaken with this  ....   :-\

I think this may be nothing more than a dig at the ACC for their Madison Square Garden comment. 

It could make some sense, though.  There are enough people in New York that you can get 50,000 to show up for a poodle race.  It wouldn't be too hard to get good attendence to avoid the embarassment some of the other conferences have had.

As for the one week notice, most of the time you will have more than one week notice as teams will have wrapped up their division earlier than the week before.  Even when that doesn't happen, it's down to two schools so preliminary planning can be mapped out.

I would agree that having the game in NYC would draw more fans then we would think. But I think having the better school host would make more sense.

Guest gocoogs

???

I would expect they have already had those conversations and will be ready if/when the official invites come out.

Afternoon guys. I thought I'd point out a tweet from the UH beat writer for the Houston Chronicle, re-affirming after the press conf. today that UH has in fact already received an invite. He sounds like he's speaking from a position of confidence.

@SeaDeezKnots UH has. The Big East is going to publicly acknowledge it yet (neither will UH for that matter), it happened.

— Sam Khan Jr. (@skhanjr)

October 18, 2011

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Although, there may be more sponsorship/TV money with something being held in NYC. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,656
  • Days Won:  424

gregauman Greg Auman

Maybe they could combine it with Fashion Week up there and have somebody unveil their new line at halftime ...

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

gregauman Greg Auman

Maybe they could combine it with Fashion Week up there and have somebody unveil their new line at halftime ...

If Oregon and Maryland were in the conference, they would be the finalists every year.

Archived