• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Big East conference call

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Afternoon guys. I thought I'd point out a tweet from the UH beat writer for the Houston Chronicle, re-affirming after the press conf. today that UH has in fact already received an invite. He sounds like he's speaking from a position of confidence.

@SeaDeezKnots UH has. The Big East is going to publicly acknowledge it yet (neither will UH for that matter), it happened.

— Sam Khan Jr. (@skhanjr)

October 18, 2011

I will interrupt this thread for a moment to welcome our Houston comrade...

Welcome to the boards, we hope you stick around.  There is a Big East board where we normally post Big East happenings.  Ordinarily you may find the conversation there more interesting.  But we are on the main board for this topic since it is obviously huge for USF athletics.  I can say that USF fans seem happy about adding Houston, and many have been campaigning for Houston for a couple of years.

Ok, back to the realignment talk..

I'm not sure what the best scenario for a BE conference game is, but I will be very happy if that is the biggest issue we are talking about a month from now.  They could hold it in Peoria if that means we haven't lost any more teams and added the ones we are talking about.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon guys. I thought I'd point out a tweet from the UH beat writer for the Houston Chronicle, re-affirming after the press conf. today that UH has in fact already received an invite. He sounds like he's speaking from a position of confidence.

@SeaDeezKnots UH has. The Big East is going to publicly acknowledge it yet (neither will UH for that matter), it happened.

— Sam Khan Jr. (@skhanjr)

October 18, 2011

Semantics, but I think that is an unofficial, verbal invite.  Big East or UH won't officially acknowledge the invite until it is in writing, and there is seemingly a bit more due diligence before that happens.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

In a city the size of NYC metropolitan area (~19,000,000 people), a game between two [oh dear god please be two highly] ranked teams that we could fill out a stadium pretty well.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,558
  • Days Won:  423

In a city the size of NYC metropolitan area (~19,000,000 people), a game between two [oh dear god please be two highly] ranked teams that we could fill out a stadium pretty well.

Only if those 2 highly ranked teams are Rutgers and UConn ...

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

I would agree that having the game in NYC would draw more fans then we would think. But I think having the better school host would make more sense.

Not financially.

The NYC market will generally demand higher prices and a neutral site with a game run by the conference can have revenues evenly divided amongst all the conference mates.  I doubt a host team would want to share the box office with the rest of the league and the other schools would see it as a leg up.

Imagine if Boise joins and they end up with the best record for two or three years in a row.  At $50 a ticket they would pocket $1.65M in revenues from tickets plus whatever concessions and merchandise they can sell. 

Reality is a neutral site will create a full revenue split for the whole conference since the conference will book the venue and control the game fully.  Ideally, I would agree it best to let the team with the best record host.  But it won't make financial sense and that's the language FBS football speaks right now.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

When I saw mention of a Big East championship game in NYC I first thought of The Meadowlands over in E. Rutherford, N.J., but I guess the Big East wants it at Yankee Stadium right in NYC.

http://newyork.sbnation.com/2011/10/18/2498935/big-east-would-like-to-play-conference-title-game-at-yankee-stadium

• Content Count:  1,238

If it has to be a neutral field, NYC is the best place to put it. The BE needs to at least keep up the facade that it owns the NYC market, even though its slipping away.

Ok, finally someone in the media talks about the elephant in the room.

Big East Stability Tied to Missouri

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_BIG_EAST_EXPANSION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-18-18-18-52

• Content Count:  1,204

When I saw mention of a Big East championship game in NYC I first thought of The Meadowlands over in E. Rutherford, N.J., but I guess the Big East wants it at Yankee Stadium right in NYC.

http://newyork.sbnation.com/2011/10/18/2498935/big-east-would-like-to-play-conference-title-game-at-yankee-stadium

I think that's not a bad idea at all.  I can see Rutgers and UConn playing games at Yankee Stadium during the regular season to garner more interest.  Actually, might not be a bad idea to pull a Georgia-Florida and convince Rutgers and UConn to play at Yankee Stadium every year in November after baseball season.

The capacity for football is around 54,000.  That's a decent number.  Not the 80K or so in the Meadowlands, but easier to fill and in the heart of New York City in a new stadium centered on an iconic area and team in all of sports.

If Rutgers and UConn committed to each playing one game a year at Yankee Stadium separate from one another in addition to the Big East title game and the bowl game, that would give the Big East a four game presence per year in NYC.  I think it'd be great if Rutgers and UConn rotated who they played so that each team from the Big East would get to play in NYC over a five year period or so.  that puts every team under the NYC spotlight.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

meanwhile a sharp uniform gets lots of publicity

Archived