• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reports swirling USF lobbying hard for Houston / against UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason UCF wants to join the Big East is so that they can get a free shot about USF.

Yeah, the money is nice, but they see USF as a rival, despite that we've beaten them on the field every time we've met.

Defense beats offense every time, and all they have is a QB who they say is good because he threw for 2000 yards and 13 TDs in a lesser conference. You think they're going to be able to handle the USF defense? Unlikely.

We don't see UCF as a rival. They are our kicking post.

Let them join. We'll offer them the first Big East game, just to show how outclassed they truly are.

You really think that UCF wants in the BE because we want a shot at USF??  How about the fact that the Big East is the only BCS conference looking at expansion that has UCF as a serious candidate, instead.  If UCF had a choice between the ACC or BE...do you honestly think that UCF is so hell-bent on USF that we'd choose the BE over the ACC?  Your guys are comical, sometimes.  It's all about BCS...not USF. 

Then why are you here, yakking it up on a USF BULLS board? Surely the fans of Rutgers or Pitt would be happy to have you clogging up their boards with posts about how great you'd be for the Big East?

Thread mentioned UCF and I used to post in the state of florida on this site board back when it was once called, "USF vs UCF".  Yes...your mod actually created a board called that, back in early/mid 2000s.  Anyway...UCF was also mentioned on this thread and I thought I'd chime in.

Regarding Nova.  I'm pretty sure no USF really wants Nova.  But they'd rather have Nova, than UCF.  Anyone but UCF (for the most part) is what it truly comes down to. 

Of course we would rather have Nova than UCF - I realize you UCF guys are blind to the logic, but it might also make too much sense for you to understand.  Why would we want to see UCF in the Big East when it would hurt our recruiting, as well as the recruiting of several other Big East schools?  We'd want to sacrifice our athletic well-being for the sake of a "rivalry?"  Also, I'd rather see Nova move up too, because basketball, for instance, already has more teams than other conferences, and seems a bit unwieldy.  Adding UCF would only further the problem.  

But I don't expect you to understand why this make so much sense.  This is not new information or speculation.  

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

Of course it's "all about" the BCS tagg.

But when all is said and done, BOTH USF and UCF would rather be in the ACC or SEC than where either is now.

Duh.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

The Big East is not present in Orlando's market.  The Orlando Sentinel doesn't even cover the BE or USF, who is only 90 miles away.  USF has as much presence in Orlando has UCF has in Tampa.  Football-only is not an option for UCF and will never accept football-only.  For those who think UCF only wants to join the Big East to have a shot at USF...just watch UCF tell the Big East a big fat "no" to a Football-only invite to a BCS football conference.  If we'd turn down football in a BCS conference...trust me...playing USF has no barring on any reason why UCF wants in the Big East.

So you're saying USF football isn't on TV in Orlando?  Funny, UCF is usually on down here.  Who cares about if the Sentinel covers them?  That isn't access to a TV market and that's what matters.  USF does give the Big East access to the Orlando market.  It may not give them rampant viewership, but UCF wouldn't either.  UCF couldn't outdraw FSU in their own market on New Year's Day this year - and it wasn't even close.  And last I looked at UCF's television numbers, they weren't great for their home market.  They weren't even that good.  USF's are solid.  But UCF and FSU were both on ESPN for New Year's and FSU got about 25% better ratings.

UCF would give the Big East much better access to Orlando and give them a state rivalry that could increase viewership and interest in both teams.  This would benefit both schools, especially since I do feel both have the potential to be ranked and battling each other if both are in a BCS conference.

My main point is that Houston is a more alluring addition.  Now, if the Big XII manages to hold out and no teams come calling then going to 12 teams by bringing Nova up and adding both Houston and UCF makes a lot of sense because keeping Nova onboard will keep basketball strong even if GTown, Marquette, etc leave. 

But they have yet to invite Houston and/or UCF for a reason beyond Nova.  I do think the conference wants to see what will happen with the Big XII.  I think even the UCF fans would see that adding Kansas and Mizzou at the least would be better for the BE than adding Houston and UCF.  And Mizzou and Kansas would give you St. Louis and KC.

• Content Count:  711

The Big East is not present in Orlando's market.  The Orlando Sentinel doesn't even cover the BE or USF, who is only 90 miles away.  USF has as much presence in Orlando has UCF has in Tampa.  Football-only is not an option for UCF and will never accept football-only.  For those who think UCF only wants to join the Big East to have a shot at USF...just watch UCF tell the Big East a big fat "no" to a Football-only invite to a BCS football conference.  If we'd turn down football in a BCS conference...trust me...playing USF has no barring on any reason why UCF wants in the Big East.

So you're saying USF football isn't on TV in Orlando?  Funny, UCF is usually on down here.  Who cares about if the Sentinel covers them?  That isn't access to a TV market and that's what matters.  USF does give the Big East access to the Orlando market.  It may not give them rampant viewership, but UCF wouldn't either.  UCF couldn't outdraw FSU in their own market on New Year's Day this year - and it wasn't even close.  And last I looked at UCF's television numbers, they weren't great for their home market.  They weren't even that good.  USF's are solid.  But UCF and FSU were both on ESPN for New Year's and FSU got about 25% better ratings.

I never said USF football isn't on TV in Orlando...I'm saying that UCF is on TV in Tampa, just as much as USF is in Orlando.  UCF would definitely provide a new market and much more access that USF has ever touched.  Orlando really wants to further its embrace on UCF...but can't get those fans on the fence (local non-UCF grads) to fully commit without a BCS tag.  Both football and basketball has shown support from Orlando through attendance and seeing that UCF is outdrawing USF in CUSA basketball attendance by 2x, compared to USF playing in the Big East?  Pretty much even for football attendance, considering conferences....there's more than enough interest in Orlando.  Orlando doesn't have the Bucs, Lightning or Rays to compete with.

FSU was playing Steve Spurrier for the first time since he left UF.  I even watched that game that night....it was also on Prime Time and the ONLY game on.  So sure....it had a lot more fans watching than the UCF Liberty Bowl.  But look at the Liberty Bowl TV rankings and you'll see that it still had decent numbers.  That's a poor comparison.

UCF and USF would be huge for the future of the Big East.  It's hard for you all to see that because you don't want to share what you've got.  But in the long run...it'll work out for both schools.  Right now...USF has nothing breathing down their neck to step up the recruiting and facility upgrades.  You've been in a BCS conference going on 6 years and are still on par with UCF in recruiting and behind UCF.  There's no sense of urgency....and USF seems to want to just ride the BCS tag over UCF, instead of being pushed to get better.  USF would have to seriously spend some money to upgrade all facilities.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I never said USF football isn't on TV in Orlando...I'm saying that UCF is on TV in Tampa, just as much as USF is in Orlando. 

I'm not so sure about that. Saw a couple of UCF games on brighthouse and the mid week ESPN games.

USF was on the ESPN family of channels numerous times on Saturday games, where it was tough to find a UCF game on the tv.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

USF would have to seriously spend some money to upgrade all facilities.

After the Sun Dome is done next season....what is left for USF to upgrade?

The indoor practice facility that O'Leary demanded?......UF nor FSU doesn't even have one of those.

The magical On Campus Stadium? We can all dream about it but that won't be happening for a long time.

What else are they going to upgrade?

You've been in a BCS conference going on 6 years and are still on par with UCF in recruiting and behind UCF.  There's no sense of urgency....and USF seems to want to just ride the BCS tag over UCF, instead of being pushed to get better.  USF would have to seriously spend some money to upgrade all facilities.

Not sure how you can say we're on par with, or even behind UCF, when we won all 4 games against you DURING that 6 year period you are referencing. We all know that these ranking systems are arbitrary at best and your boy Fat Daddy has been well known to boost the star ratings of UCF recruits.

No sense of urgency? We have a new football practice facility that will open with spring practice. The new baseball and softball stadiums will open this season. The soccer stadium will open in August. The basketball practice facility will be completed this summer. The Sun Dome is expected to be renovated after this season concludes. I'm not sure how you can say USF is not spending money to get better.

• Content Count:  2,523

I can't believe folks don't miss the opportunity to pound UCF!  We can play/beat them without them being in the Big East.  Shoot, offer them a 2 for 1 deal, they'd jump all over it.  We'd get a chance to beat the CUSA champ every season which would absolutely kill their recruiting and it would sure be more fun than playing UTEP.

Shoot, offer them a 2 for 1 deal, they'd jump all over it. 

You forgot that they are above that type of scheduling now.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Yeah, I seriously doubt UCF would take a 2 for 1 with us. Plus...even...if they would....they would just back out of the last game like they did with West Virginia.

I don't have a problem playing them though....but in reality that was dictated by the JIM. He is gone and UCF's schedule is booked pretty solid the next few seasons. USF did have the UTEP opening.....but that was a good deal. I wouldn't trade away a 1 way UTEP game for a 1 and 1 UCF game. They are both CUSA teams. 

Archived