• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova Academic board votes 29-0 against move to Big East

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

At this point for the Big East, patience is a virtue.  Wait and see if Kansas and Company become available.  Plain and simple.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

I'm guessing Memphis and Tulane usually show up on the lists because of TV markets, and they both make for great roadtrips. Same reason nobody wants SoMiss or ECU.

As for the quality of their football, can't go by the current - have to look at the potential. It will improve once they get into an AQ conference.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Patience is not a virtue. They told the networks they were going to 10.

So...they're going to find a 10th.

1. Nova

2. UCF

Why is that hard for people to understand. The Big East will be a 10 team league in 2012

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

1. Nova

2. UCF

Why is that hard for people to understand. The Big East will be a 10 team league in 2012

the voice of reason

As for the quality of their football, can't go by the current - have to look at the potential. It will improve once they get into an AQ conference.

Memphis Football will improve in the Big East but UCF is completely worthless and will be a conference doormat. Funny how potential is taken into consideration for any other school but UCF.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

1. Nova

2. UCF

The Big East will not be a 10 team league in 2012 if Villanova joins. They wouldn't be in the league until 2014 at the earliest.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

But they'll have a tenth member...true or false?

Your getting away from the point Anyways

• Content Count:  1,741

Villanova's Faculty Congress voted earlier this month on whether to support the move. According to several professors, the vote was 29-0 against going to the Big East in football, with one abstention. At two faculty forums held earlier this month to discuss the issue, faculty members "were all speaking with one voice" against the move, according to a biology professor.

"It's very difficult to get academics to agree on anything," said that professor, Michael Russell.

In an e-mail to Villanova president Peter Donahue, Russell wrote how a move to the Big East "would represent a black hole of resources . . . coming on the heels of salary and hiring freezes, as well as a gross inversion of priorities and mission."

I do not know how much money Villanova has but it seems like the people pushing for football have NO idea how much money would be needed.  Football people do not think past their lips. A new stadium and where would it go?  How many hundreds of millions would it be?  How much money would it be for all new equipment, uniforms, staff, coaches, new  dorms.

• Content Count:  2,726

Villanova's Faculty Congress voted earlier this month on whether to support the move. According to several professors, the vote was 29-0 against going to the Big East in football, with one abstention. At two faculty forums held earlier this month to discuss the issue, faculty members "were all speaking with one voice" against the move, according to a biology professor.

"It's very difficult to get academics to agree on anything," said that professor, Michael Russell.

In an e-mail to Villanova president Peter Donahue, Russell wrote how a move to the Big East "would represent a black hole of resources . . . coming on the heels of salary and hiring freezes, as well as a gross inversion of priorities and mission."

I do not know how much money Villanova has but it seems like the people pushing for football have NO idea how much money would be needed.  Football people do not think past their lips. A new stadium and where would it go?  How many hundreds of millions would it be?  How much money would it be for all new equipment, uniforms, staff, coaches, new  dorms.

Villanova has money...period.

They are a rich school.

They have over 10k students WHICH IS MORE THAN TCU!!!

They will add football.

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  225

Adding ucf would be a big mistake!  We already have to scratch & claw just to get the good recruits that don't choose the big 3.  If you put ucf in the bcs, then they too will be an option for the big 3 "leftovers"

Instead us getting them and being a good team, the big east end up with 2 mediocre Florida teams.

I don't believe that Miami is going to remain a Big 3 school... their President and BOT has ran that program into the ground. I hope they fall back into their pre-1980's mediocrity and cancel their football program. The entire Gruden thing was a smoke screen to dumbfound the Miami thug fan base into thinking that Shalala actually gives a flying crap about football.

If she actually carried then they would not had hired Randy Shannon and would had taken the City's offer to renovate and keep the OB.

The Canes are circling the drain  :flush

I agree with you on Miami.  I was listening to JP Peterson (I know he is a lush drunk. but he makes good points) on 1010 am and he made a very good point on USF.  He felt USF could surpass Miami.  If USF starts to increase their attendance and has a more supportive fan base, he felt they could easily surpass Miami.  Miami is only living off their name.  Their fan base is horrible.  USF has a decent fan base but if it got slightly better (say we average 45k-50k actual attendance NOT tickets sold), I think a recruit would easily pick USF over Miami where they had a sad 26k when they played us. 

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I only want Villanova if the Big East really is going to add UCF should Nova say no. I would definitely prefer Villanova to UCF.

If Villanova says no to football, then the Big East can wait a bit before adding another program.

The league got the only program that can help better the football side of things with TCU.

I agree. What benefits do we have between 9 temas vs 10 teams? we dont get a conf champ game out of it. maybe scheduling would be a little easier with 10 but thats about it. Add quality not quantity.

I think anyone that isn't from USF will pick UCF as that next team.

What value does UCF add to the conference? None at all. The only entity that would benefit from UCF in the Big East is UCF, not the league or any other member of the league. That's a one-sided deal, not like TCU, which definitely added quality.

I'm not saying Villanova adds anything either, I don't think either of them do.

As much as I hate to admit it, they would beat us this year.

Eh. UCF didn't beat a team that finished with a winning record until today, when they beat 7-6 SMU. I see no reason to assume this. They lost to the the only two BCS conference teams they played.

Archived