• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova Academic board votes 29-0 against move to Big East

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Looks pretty intimate....I'd go to a game up there.

It'd be a fun "road" trip.

I was thinking that myself...."Hey Honey.....how would you like to go up and visit your family in Philly?"

already put that possibility in her head  ;)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

please no villanova

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Somehow....I don't think the BE is actually concerned about how many fans Villanova brings....just as long as they can get to that 15,000 avg attendance. (I think that is the minimum). I think they are trying to get inventory for the BEN and Nova helps them keep it in the family....as opposed to adding UCF or Houston and then having to add 18 to basketball.

There are many ways around this. Nova could play a home game at Penn State let's say (FAU played at home game this year against Michigan State at Ford Field)....you just met your attendance requirement in one game. Plus I think Rutgers and West Virginia fans could sell out that stadium on their own.

Exactly.  Not to mention the MLS venue isn't any further away then the Rench is from Uconn.  I've heard the hang-up is playing soccer and football during the same period AND they would like Nova to have a venue with a bit more seating.  Like north of 30k...perhaps they do a multiple stadium venue.  All are being explored.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I've heard from many of my northeastern friends and family that this decision is likely for them to accept.  The BE is offering them a sweet-heart deal to jump-- where for the first two years all of us will rotate home games up there, and they would get larger grossing travel pay-outs to play BE teams.  The difference is massive, if this network takes off, and the rumors are true of an eventual split.  You'd see Uconn, UL, Pitt, RU, USF, Cinci, WVU, Cuse, and TCU go elsewhere.  Count on ND joining that crew because they'd need to tie their Olympic Sports in with the best possible group (and they would bring them along for all sports except football because we all want the name association), and SJU would probably come too to maintain the MSG tie-in.  What is left for Nova to stick around too?  They could either move with a conference group that has a network and is paying per team upwards of $15MM plus, and to do that all they must do is add football, or they could be shoved aside and relegated to a conference that pays out $2MM a year, thus virtually guaranteeing their hoops program will never be what it is today or has been.  All that to decide to make the jump.  The BE is almost guaranteeing they won't lose money starting out by helping them with scheduling, tv games, and large payday games.  As I've heard up there the decision is now becoming mostly a logistical one.  Where will they play without it becoming to cost prohibitive, but also meeting NCAA and BE expectations for attendance.

Bullpride....quick question.

Was curious on your take about this rumor on a possible split. Now I know this is all rumors but just bear with me.

Lets just say the 10 football schools split....and they take with them in basketball, as you mentioned ND and St Johns.

How would that work? I mean would they keep the Big East name and the AQ that goes with it and actually kick out:

Providence (The builder, HQ, original member)

Seton Hall (Original Member, NJ market already covered by Rutgers)

DePaul (Chicago Market supposedly)

Marquette (Milwaukee/WI market)

Georgetown (Original Member DC Market)

Would they really kick out 3 Original Members... including Providence? I had heard rumors earlier in the fall that said if Seton Hall didn't get their act together as far as spending money on athletics and trying to compete....the League may see if they want to go in a different direction.

Also, I read this on the Nova Blog dated 12/2. I found this interesting in that he says the conference is talking about going to 12 football/18 basketball.

Let's just say for a second that we do decline the offer to join. What does the BIG EAST do? They go right to Temple. And Temple would LOVE to join the BIG EAST. No questions asked. What that does is decrease our own value to the BIG EAST.

The conference is already talking about getting up to 12 football teams, but going to no more than 18 basketball teams. That means some basketball-only schools will get kicked out. If Temple joins the conference, the likelihood that we are one of those schools increases ten-fold. It doesn't matter that we're one of their prized basketball programs. Heck, they could kick all the basketball schools out and be just fine.

http://www.thenovablog.com/2010/12/2/1849688/why-villanova-football-needs-to-upgrade-to-the-big-east

So I guess my question is would other Catholic schools really allow this to happen or is it.....there would be nothing they could do to stop it?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Not sure where they think that the league is going to 12 teams.

I have said it many times before that going to 12 teams just for the sake of a CCG is a terrible idea for this league right now. There is no combination of 3 programs out there (outside of something like Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri) that helps this league.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Not sure where they think that the league is going to 12 teams.

I have said it many times before that going to 12 teams just for the sake of a CCG is a terrible idea for this league right now. There is no combination of 3 programs out there (outside of something like Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri) that helps this league.

The UWV AD was the most recent to say that they figured going to 12 would be the eventual goal.....but I agree with you...and have read elsewhere....if you are going to 12....it better be for a lot more than a Championship Game because as it is right now.....it would not pay for 2 more slices of pie being split up. 10 football teams with 9 conference games apparently is (at least mathmatically) the optimal number.

I think what we will see in the short term is either Nova move up or if they decline.....UCF or Houston. What I don't understand....at least from all the rumors we are hearing.....is IF Nova were to decide not to jump up....why isn't Plan B a football only offer to either UCF/Houston/or ECU.

I mention ECU because they seem the most willing to take a football only offer but you never hear anything about that. If the main reason to take Nova is that you don't have to add other sports....then why not make that the 2nd option with another school?  It could be that it is a possibility but just hasn't made it into the rumor mill.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If you're going the route of a football only offer, then UCF and Houston would probably decline.

If that is the only option and Villanova says no, then the league would just back after Temple.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If you're going the route of a football only offer, then UCF and Houston would probably decline.

If that is the only option and Villanova says no, then the league would just back after Temple.

Something tells me that UCF would accept a football only offer. 

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Something tells me that UCF would accept a football only offer. 

they're too good for that....their bb team is ranked  >:D

Archived