• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova Academic board votes 29-0 against move to Big East

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

You guys sit here and do back and forth with a poster who is obviously a UCF homer. There have been multiple threads on here about this dude. UCFGoose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,219

I'd prefer Villanova remain a non-football member anyway.  At some point, the football schools and the non-football schools will need to split the conference.  From Villanova's standpoint, they should stay tied to the Catholic basketball schools if the split does occur.  From the existing football side, there are stronger football programs not currently in a BCS conference that the Big East should pursue.

This would be the best solution.

too bad no one seems to want it - at this time -

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  1,238

I'd prefer Villanova remain a non-football member anyway.  At some point, the football schools and the non-football schools will need to split the conference.  From Villanova's standpoint, they should stay tied to the Catholic basketball schools if the split does occur.  From the existing football side, there are stronger football programs not currently in a BCS conference that the Big East should pursue.

Actually most rumors say that Villanova's primary motivation for moving up would be to stay with the FB schools in event of a split. But with the conference looking a lot more stable now it seems less likely that theyll have to worry about that.

Unfortunately, i think UCF is pretty likely to get the next add. Id be very (pleasantly) suprised if they werent.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Unfortunately, i think UCF is pretty likely to get the next add. Id be very (pleasantly) suprised if they werent.

I see the league staying put for a while if Villanova says no.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No, they're not staying put. They've announced they're going to 10.

Nova still might happen

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

...or you have someone like USF had always had ..good dual threat QBs that try not to do too much...

Huh?

Nearly all of our good dual threat QBs have tried to do too much.

We've also had bad dual threat QBs (Julmiste).

I'm confused about our rich QB history UsfGoose seems to be reflecting upon. If anything UCF has had a better QB history than we have.

No, they're not staying put. They've announced they're going to 10.

Nova still might happen

Going to 10 is the ultimate goal. I'm saying that they don't have to go and jump at another program if Villanova says no.

• Content Count:  4,016

Actually most rumors say that Villanova's primary motivation for moving up would be to stay with the FB schools in event of a split. But with the conference looking a lot more stable now it seems less likely that theyll have to worry about that.

Stable based on who?  You?  They just added TCU...and there are a myriad of inside and out rumors about BE expansion and contraction.  This is a 50 year decision for Nova, not a 5 year.  If they do not make this, and eventually, sooner rather than later, the football schools will split from hoops, Nova could find themselves in something like the Patriot League playing hoops and releasing Jay Wright because they can no-longer pay his salary.

I've heard from many of my northeastern friends and family that this decision is likely for them to accept.  The BE is offering them a sweet-heart deal to jump-- where for the first two years all of us will rotate home games up there, and they would get larger grossing travel pay-outs to play BE teams.  The difference is massive, if this network takes off, and the rumors are true of an eventual split.  You'd see Uconn, UL, Pitt, RU, USF, Cinci, WVU, Cuse, and TCU go elsewhere.  Count on ND joining that crew because they'd need to tie their Olympic Sports in with the best possible group (and they would bring them along for all sports except football because we all want the name association), and SJU would probably come too to maintain the MSG tie-in.  What is left for Nova to stick around too?  They could either move with a conference group that has a network and is paying per team upwards of $15MM plus, and to do that all they must do is add football, or they could be shoved aside and relegated to a conference that pays out $2MM a year, thus virtually guaranteeing their hoops program will never be what it is today or has been.  All that to decide to make the jump.  The BE is almost guaranteeing they won't lose money starting out by helping them with scheduling, tv games, and large payday games.  As I've heard up there the decision is now becoming mostly a logistical one.  Where will they play without it becoming to cost prohibitive, but also meeting NCAA and BE expectations for attendance.

Nova and the Philly power elite recognize this is probably the last chance Nova, or a Temple has to be relevant in the next large school reallignment.  Otherwise they should just disband football now and put all their pennies in a jar and pray that when major realignment comes they can at least have enough coin around to keep hoop half-way relevant.

I've heard from many of my northeastern friends and family that this decision is likely for them to accept.

I've heard the same from some people up in that area who have some connections to 'Nova.

The Big East wanted an answer by the end of 2010 and agreed to let 'Nova go until April. That should speaks volumes about home much they want them in for football and what they will do for them to say yes.

• Content Count:  4,016

I've heard from many of my northeastern friends and family that this decision is likely for them to accept.

I've heard the same from some people up in that area who have some connections to 'Nova.

The Big East wanted an answer by the end of 2010 and agreed to let 'Nova go until April. That should speaks volumes about home much they want them in for football and what they will do for them to say yes.

Agreed....and for the most part it's all logisical.  They don't care what the faculty thinks, that's how all faculty think.  Their Trustees had unofficially approved the move but must await some final studies on feasibility.  The biggest hang-up is making sure they can find a playing arena where they can make money.  They don't want to rent the Eagles Football field and pay so much that they lose money each game...so they're working out other situations.  I suppose if all that was to fall through it might not happen but I doubt that it will.

Archived