• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where did our D go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

that 4th down TD pass...cant put that on the D....some things just happen....there were a few How the hell did that happen" plays...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,070
  • Days Won:  38

I would like to see them get to the QB quicker on passing situations on 3rd down because we have been getting torched.  That is the main thing I notice from watching... 

We'll get there though.  8-)

• Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

To answer the question - They went to the WINNERS locker room!

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Yeah USF's red zone defense was impressive. USF gave up a bunch of yards, sure, but like has been said, they kept them out of the end zone in the end and that was good enough. However, had the offense not been playing so well, giving up those long drives even for field goals could have been enough to lose. Both sides of the ball played well, and without either stepping up the game probably would have been lost. The lack of penalties was great to see as well. Awesome win.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

We've played some terrible offenses. I said last week, our defense is at best average

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I thought that they played well. They kept the plays in front of them for the most part and controlled their runnning game.  The closing speed and sure tackling was impressive.  They even won without having that elusive game changing turnover. Cincinnati's offensive at times were playing well enough to score on anyone.

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

That was deff the best passing offense we will see this year. Also Collaros made some amazing TD's, like the TD on the 4th down play while he was getting dragged down. We shut down their running game, and thats what were going to need to do when it comes to UL, Pitt, and probably Rutgers

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

it seems like we were playing soft zones trying to avoid giving up the big play.

the pressure on the QB was pretty good.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Cincy has a good offense and is going to score points, I will second thats the best passing team

we will face this year.

They are playing better than I thought this year, in a few years we could have best defense in USF history

if they continue to develop like they are.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

We seem to have a knack for shutting down the running games from teams that run the spread (WVU, Cincinnati).  We have tougher times against teams that shove it down our throats like Pitt and Rutgers.  This theory makes sense when you consider how quick our D is.  We can run from side to side but can be blocked when its North/South. 

On to our pass defense.  Honestly we have had issues all year with 3rd and longs.  I counted 5 3rd and longs last night, not to mention a 4th down play that we gave up.  We gave up two 3rd and 10s, one 3rd and 13, one 3rd and 7, and one 3rd and 20.  That is unacceptble defense.  We either need to play soft and give them underneath stuff, or blitz and play man on man making us succeptable to the long td (like that 4th down play).

Something has to give here, but this didn't all come about last night.  Re-watch the WVU game and some of the other drives earlier in the year.  We can't get off the field.  I'd rather us face a 3rd and 2, than a 3rd and 10.  How said is tha?

All this being said, our D has been the bright spot all year for us. 

Archived