• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where did our D go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Is our defense really as bad as they looked last night?  They have played lights out all year, but then many teams lately have figured it a two possession lead and just make sure you don't give any points away to our defense.  It "felt" like we just couldn't get off the field, Cincy would pick-up third and long (and very long!) all night.  But this morning, looking at the drive summary on ESPN, I was even surprised how poorly they played.  We didn't force a punt the entire second half (or really most of the second quarter for that matter).  The corner comeback route was available all night, the d-line seemed to struggle to get pressure unless we brought the house, it was really far and away the worst performance we have seen from the D all year.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=302952132

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Thats the best passing offense we will play all year.

Im not too worried about it. I saw a lot of positives from the D side of the ball

• Content Count:  21,065
  • Days Won:  38

I like where the D is going for sure.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

They did enough to win-I give em a pass

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

They did enough to win-I give em a pass

+1

My take exactly.....give em a pass with a win.

• Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Time of Possession:

Cincy 33:21

USF 26:39

2nd half(per Greg)

Cincy 20:48

USF 9:12

We scored so quickly our  D was worn down; Our D came up big on 4th and 1 and was back on the field after 1 play; same goes for when they forced Cincy to punt. Our offense was maybe too productive(if there is such a thing) tonight

Guest Scherdin

It just looked like the game plan was to play off the WR's to avoid the deep ball.  I didn't have a problem with the D's play last night.  The D line was forcing some changes and they shut down the running game.

We won the game!

• Content Count:  10,565

The only thing I thought the defense did that was lacking was 3rd down and long situations. We didn't pressure Collaros at all and gave him all to throw.

Red Zone D was excellent. They were on the field plenty last night and didn't break. Great effort all around.

• Content Count:  10,565

It just looked like the game plan was to play off the WR's to avoid the deep ball.

Coach Holtz said as much in his post game comments. Outside of that big play near the end of the first half where we missed a tackle the D was great. Cincy's WR's had to work to get those TD's.

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

Cincy's receivers (and QB, and running back) are frightening.  You can either play soft and give up a boatload of yards and stiffen when the field get smaller or you can play tight and chase them into the endzone.  The third and longs sucked, but Cincy was forced to drive the field.  That was the gameplan to beat Cincy. The gameplan to beat Rutgers may look completely different.

At least that's the story I'm sticking with until we give up a boatload of yards and lose.

Archived