• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where did our D go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We seem to have a knack for shutting down the running games from teams that run the spread (WVU, Cincinnati).  We have tougher times against teams that shove it down our throats like Pitt and Rutgers.  This theory makes sense when you consider how quick our D is.  We can run from side to side but can be blocked when its North/South. 

On to our pass defense.  Honestly we have had issues all year with 3rd and longs.  I counted 5 3rd and longs last night, not to mention a 4th down play that we gave up.  We gave up two 3rd and 10s, one 3rd and 13, one 3rd and 7, and one 3rd and 20.  That is unacceptble defense.  We either need to play soft and give them underneath stuff, or blitz and play man on man making us succeptable to the long td (like that 4th down play).

Something has to give here, but this didn't all come about last night.  Re-watch the WVU game and some of the other drives earlier in the year.  We can't get off the field.  I'd rather us face a 3rd and 2, than a 3rd and 10.  How said is tha?

All this being said, our D has been the bright spot all year for us. 

I'd like to see them be more aggressive on 3rd and long. it seems like we take the defense to them until 3rd down and then we play prevent. Bend but don't break. I like it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

didn't sooner d give up about same amount of points to this offense?

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

For all you Buc (former?) fans from the Dungy era I saw a bend but don't break defensive game plan. (OK I know they broke a few times)

And look a the Cincy rushing stats!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

Time of Possession:

Cincy 33:21

USF 26:39

2nd half(per Greg)

Cincy 20:48

USF 9:12

We scored so quickly our  D was worn down; Our D came up big on 4th and 1 and was back on the field after 1 play; same goes for when they forced Cincy to punt. Our offense was maybe too productive(if there is such a thing) tonight

+1

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Way too many 3rd and long conversions. I don't think we forced a punt after midway in the 2nd quarter.

in fairness to the defense,a lot of it was because Cincy simply made some really amazing plays. Its never a positive thing when a defense gives up an all time program high in yardage, but when it comes in a win it is soon forgotten.

The good news is that there isn't another QB on our schedule that is anywhere near the elusiveness as Collaros.

Still need to come up with more turnovers.

• Content Count:  46

Not a conference game, but I think Miami has a better passing game than Cincinnati.  They also have a stable of running backs that all can outperform Pead.  As far as conference foes, I think Pittsburgh's offense is hitting their stride.  Other than those two, no other offenses scare me the rest of the way.

• Content Count:  477

So the D still needs more out of the O if we're to be successful.  The offense just has to hold the ball for a while. Scoring on a single play (or virtually so) several times is nice, but it wears out our D.  Got to even the TOP.

• Content Count:  1,985

Giving up the third and long play has been an issue since we got to the BCS teams this year.  You are right that Holtz is definitely playing the "bend don't break" soft zone D in this case.  We have had so many 3rd and +10 yard situations that break out for first downs it is sick, but they have rarely given up points.

Just disheartening to see the D get two TFL, then lose that momentum and a chance for us to get the ball back.

As far as the Cincy TD's this week, for the most part they were great circus catches with our players in good position, they just got out jumped, etc.  Though I hated seeing them come back time and again.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Got tired of carrying the team and said eff it Offense you do something ::)

Archived