• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Not About The Money

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Another meanie coach .... Where was the outrage??

Louisiana Tech has a football team? Obvisously the 45 people that saw the game were probably a shocked by that slap. If you notice, the more famous the program, as the SI article points out, the more likely you are to be called on the carpet for those actions. Saban tells a Dolphin player to use his head and he cries makes headlines. Slapping a player on the 121st rated division 1 team doesn't. Leavitt grabbing a facemask in a game on ESPN Gameplan makes no news. Doesn't make it right though, or their team play better.

You pretty much got most of that right ... It made news mainly because it was Saban, not the act itself. If these things were the abuse you guys are whining about, it WOULD be news at the 1A level. It's not, it's part of football at the upper level. It's an emotional, physical sport and obviously not for everyone .... and as for the heartless ******* that slapped that poor boy's helmet, hopefully Tennessee doesn't get wind of that assault.

Again, because its not called out does not mean its condoned.

Actually, yes it does ....

Week one last year a player cold ***** another. Why wasn't he arrested for battery? Any other setting he would be.

Exactly .... things that happen in football are treated differently than if they happen outside the field/ lockerroom ... Glad to see you're finally getting it.

No, it doesn't. Just because you speed all the time and don't get a ticket doesn't mean its either legal or condoned. And there is no reason EVERY thing that happens on field or in the locker room SHOULD be treated differently. That is the current culture and at some point that will change when a grievous enough offense does occur. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

Check out these soccor moms complaining about thier kids being sent to the ER after drills. 

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"thier kids being sent to the ER after drills" ..... Right, this is exactly the type stuff we're talking about.  ::)

Preparing kids to get hit is one thing. As was pointed out, coaches can go too far.

Of course they can .... I don't think anybody has said they can't. Point is the type stuff we've been talking about doesn't fall under the "gone too far" category .... no ER visits, not even close ...

Great. You nip that stuff in the bud.

Either get the person with the anger issues help or send them hiking. First thing my wife said when she heard the report on Leavitt was, he has got to go, he can't control his temper. Someone who gets mad enough to slam the equipment off his head in blind rage can certainly lash out at the nearest person around him. And there is a reason grabbing a player by the face mask is a personal foul, you can cause neck injuries that way.

Leavitt's head butts didn't come from blind rage .... The more I read, the more I just think you don't really understand the whole dynamics of coaching football, especially at the upper levels ... especially if you're using your wife as a source ... We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Never said it was a rage.

Then I misinterpreted this statement : Someone who gets mad enough to slam the equipment off his head in blind rage can certainly lash out at the nearest person around him.

And many on here cut on women every chance you get. I am starting to think you all have some serious, deep, underlying psychological issues. I would bet my wife, and sister, for that matter played in more college sports games then 90% of the people on this board. Both had college athletic scholarships, one played at NCAA division 1 level and was on the first team to make it to the NCAA playoffs at FSU (honored in 2004 during half time of one of their football games) and has a degree in coaching and has NFL players for friends. But they are girls, and have cooties, so what do they know?

Please stop with the cutting on women ********. It's great your wife and sister played college sports but that doesn't make them experts on the dynamics of college football. I'm guessing nothing in women's college sports comes close to the emotion/violence of college football and the feelings it generates among coaches/players/opponents.

It seems when you read my posts you skim over them and either don't try and glean where I am coming from or just choose to say something that tries to cast me as a dimwit. Try a little harder will you? Thanks.

I make it a point to Quote everything i reference so saying I just skim over your posts is ridiculous .... if you think me saying you undersetimate the dynamics of college football is calling you a dimwit, I'll have to disagree

Check out these soccor moms complaining about thier kids being sent to the ER after drills. 

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"thier kids being sent to the ER after drills" ..... Right, this is exactly the type stuff we're talking about.  ::)

Preparing kids to get hit is one thing. As was pointed out, coaches can go too far.

Of course they can .... I don't think anybody has said they can't. Point is the type stuff we've been talking about doesn't fall under the "gone too far" category .... no ER visits, not even close ...

Great. You nip that stuff in the bud.

Either get the person with the anger issues help or send them hiking. First thing my wife said when she heard the report on Leavitt was, he has got to go, he can't control his temper. Someone who gets mad enough to slam the equipment off his head in blind rage can certainly lash out at the nearest person around him. And there is a reason grabbing a player by the face mask is a personal foul, you can cause neck injuries that way.

Leavitt's head butts didn't come from blind rage .... The more I read, the more I just think you don't really understand the whole dynamics of coaching football, especially at the upper levels ... especially if you're using your wife as a source ... We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Never said it was a rage.

Then I misinterpreted this statement : Someone who gets mad enough to slam the equipment off his head in blind rage can certainly lash out at the nearest person around him.

And many on here cut on women every chance you get. I am starting to think you all have some serious, deep, underlying psychological issues. I would bet my wife, and sister, for that matter played in more college sports games then 90% of the people on this board. Both had college athletic scholarships, one played at NCAA division 1 level and was on the first team to make it to the NCAA playoffs at FSU (honored in 2004 during half time of one of their football games) and has a degree in coaching and has NFL players for friends. But they are girls, and have cooties, so what do they know?

Please stop with the cutting on women ********. It's great your wife and sister played college sports but that doesn't make them experts on the dynamics of college football. I'm guessing nothing in women's college sports comes close to the emotion/violence of college football and the feelings it generates among coaches/players/opponents.

It seems when you read my posts you skim over them and either don't try and glean where I am coming from or just choose to say something that tries to cast me as a dimwit. Try a little harder will you? Thanks.

I make it a point to Quote everything i reference so saying I just skim over your posts is ridiculous .... if you think me saying you undersetimate the dynamics of college football is calling you a dimwit, I'll have to disagree

Watch the video clip of The Jim, ripping his headset off and slamming it to the ground, that is what I was referring to. You ever play competitive basketball? No pads, helmets, etc.. My wife blew her knee out just like Grothe in a game. Stacey Dales, on NFL network reminds me of my wife, same tough attitude, also played BB. Why would the NFL network employ women, who know nothing about the "emotion/violence of (college) football and the feelings it generates among coaches/players/opponents"?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

Because it's the politically correct thing to do and many of them look better than Joe Theismann.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Apparently it's  normal to headbutt players. It is part of the coaching dynamic.

I see a lot of coaches bleeding at press conferences.

Because it's the politically correct thing to do and many of them look better than Joe Theismann.

I'd love to see you tell her that in person. They could PPV that event.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I go on vacation and this thing gets restarted.

1. If usf uses video of sideline footage prior to the Louisville game and tries to argue that xcjl was a nut (even if not admitted into evidence) then Joel miller should sue the heck out of usf for employing a known nut who hit him.

2. Arguing that what happened in the locker room or elsewhere on a football field is abuse in another context (the faculty lounge) uses the wrong legal standard.  Being forced to run until you puke at the threat of losing your scholarship is pretty bad in any context but accepted in football.  The correct standard on what I'd acceptable or not( or even abusive) is the reasonable person standard in similar circumstances.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

Watch the video clip of The Jim, ripping his headset off and slamming it to the ground, that is what I was referring to.

Are you ******* serious?

514566761.jpgstoops%2Bheadset.jpgclearchannel_thumb%5B1%5D.jpgsaban-headset-lsu-ap-alcomjpg-6573adfd3997efa5_medium.jpg610x.jpg

Look, we get it. You wanted Leavitt out at any cost because you considered us underachieving or whatever .... fine. Just stop this ******** of trying to paint him as that much of an aberration as a coach. He was a little different, headbutting comes to mind, but not THAT different.

You ever play competitive basketball? No pads, helmets, etc.. My wife blew her knee out just like Grothe in a game. Stacey Dales, on NFL network reminds me of my wife, same tough attitude, also played BB. Why would the NFL network employ women, who know nothing about the "emotion/violence of (college) football and the feelings it generates among coaches/players/opponents"?

Was she play-by-play or color commentator?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

DB,

If that is the case, then why fire him without a contractually obligated discussion?  It's no tlike slick is suggesting that they had to protect the kids that loved him.

USF doesn't feel is was contractually obligated, obviously.  Really, I can't see that being a big issue.  What difference does it make if they give him a "hearing" two days before they fire him, or two days after.  If he had any evidence that he shouldn't have been fired, they could have reinstated him. 

It's a non-issue. 

And this is all about damages.  Are you really going to tell me that would have saved his job and $8mil or whatever? 

Please.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

You guys have way too much time on your hands.  Leavitt was fired six months ago.  He won't be getting his job back, nor will he be getting millions from USF. 

By the way, the La Tech coach slapping, punching or electrocuting his players and still having a job is completely irrevelevant to USF's policies, procedures and employment contract.

Archived