• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Not About The Money

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,003
  • Days Won:  469

I bet Leavitt wished it was written a year earlier then it was.

I bet not. 

Rather, I'd bet he wishes that he and Brett hadn't battled for so long.  He probably regrets keeping on underperforming non-scholarship players.  To your point he probably wishes football had remained free from the soccer mom and sissy boy mentality but that's water under the bridge.  Like the Rolling Stone reporter, it's not that the writers have any construct of decency, it's that bringing someone down is a real, REAL good story.

And by the way for your faulty logic.  Just because a handful of more coaches don't cuss or rant and rave, doesn't mean for those that do it is abuse.  Unless of course, you're a professional therapist that needs relevance.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet Leavitt wished it was written a year earlier then it was.

I bet not. 

Rather, I'd bet he wishes that he and Brett hadn't battled for so long.  He probably regrets keeping on underperforming non-scholarship players.  To your point he probably wishes football had remained free from the soccer mom and sissy boy mentality but that's water under the bridge.  Like the Rolling Stone reporter, it's not that the writers have any construct of decency, it's that bringing someone down is a real, REAL good story.

And by the way for your faulty logic.  Just because a handful of more coaches don't cuss or rant and rave, doesn't mean for those that do it is abuse.  Unless of course, you're a professional therapist that needs relevance.

I meant the article in SI which includes statements on what is acceptable and what is not by his peers. He seems to not know that even in pricate you don't act like Leavitt did on the sidelines.

I'm sure there are an equal number of "peers" that believe grabbing a facemask, or slapping a helmet/shoulder pads and even YELLING is okay.  Staples wrote a piece that was reflective of the times - the coaching witch hunt that seemed so popular (even though some were spared).  He only quoted guys that made his point.  That's typical.  It doesn't mean those are the only voices out there.

Please.  It obviously would be career suicide in the politically correct soccer mom world for any football coach to speak up in that regard.

You have to know that.

No, not alone.  I think a lot of people like you that call harmless things like yelling "abuse" have helped.  Then again, you may yourself be a product of the feminization of sports.  I don't know.  it certainly wasn't victims of abusive yelling whose hurt feelings drove them to take a stand.  LOL.

You only need to read a little bit. 

Or, like me - a coach that doesn't yell at or even touch a player (except for a pat on the back) witness youth competitive games.  Hang out with the parents, they'll tell you all you need to know about the subject.  It's not just a few sissymarys, it is as you say, a whole society - a generation. 

I get applauded constantly because I don't yell at little kids.  Well, they're little kids.  Moms just love that I am so gentle with they're kids.  I give them snacks and everything...

I'm a believer that as the kids get older coaches will handle them differently.  You keep applying the label "kids" to Miller and his age group.  These guys are living by themselves, drinking and driving and having sex.  Not really little kids anymore.

But anyway, I think it's perfectly fine to motivate in ways that don't include hugs.  I see some of the most heroic and unbelievable accomplishments happen in the military - an institution short on hugs and loving invitations.

So, no, I have nothing against females, I just don't think sports is mostly a nurturing environment.  Sorry.  It ain't most of the time, that's the truth.  The nurturing coach is most succesful when he shows a demanding side as well.

I'm not trying to insult you.  I just think if you subscribe to a philosophy you are most likely a product of it.  Try motivating a number of young people to reach their highest abilities by giving them hugs and cupcakes. 

As far as Skip, I know little about him...but for all of our sakes, let's hope he wins 10 games, the Nat Championship and never ever is caught on camera upset about anything.

How did Nick Saban make that big guy cry?  I forgot. 

Oh so if you can make a guy cry without grabbing and screaming you're a-okay?  I wonder if Joel cried.  :'(

I guess that's why Rich Rodriguez survived.  Insults and verbal abuse at low tones is okay with your crowd?

Name-calling is cool?

Oh, okay.

The "Nicktator" they call him....and they say he yelled!!!

Here it is:

QiM2U9AiQRM

Poor guy was a rookie, just out of college and momma's womb.

Announcer:  "He better toughen up"  "Nick Saban getting 'down and dirty'"

Better call for that guy's job.

Saban telling the poor guy to use his head...what is he calling the guy? Stupid?  That's harsh...oh my.

But he's a softie...and one you quote right?

By the way "use your head" is what he says he said, it's not discernible on the tape.  I wonder how the Rookie feels about it - after all that is what we should care about.  He needed nurturing and got that treatment from a grown man.  For all we know Saban could have said he was a lamebrain.  But I guess if Saban lied and said it was something else, considering the circumstance, it could be okay.  Afterall, we want certain beliefs to be outcomes.

Archived