• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Not About The Money

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The lawsuit is about clearing his name? Really? Its about money and interpretation of the contract isn't it? 1 month's pay vs 1 year. USF relied on statements by several individuals regarding the incident as well as Leavitt's contacting them during the investigation. If Leavitt wants to clear his name he needs to sue all those that don't agree with his account, not USF. 

He doesn't need to clear his name, per se.  He merely needs to create the appearance of some level of doubt that he did not act inappropriately.  If Leavitt and Co can come to a settlement of an undisclosed amount of money, he can then create the appearance that he didn't do anything wrong.  Even if the settlement is for $20, he becomes undamaged goods and his odds of landing a job increase considerably.  So it's some combination of the two factors.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

If USF settles out of court it sends a message that does not reflect well on my Alma Mater.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

If USF settles out of court it sends a message that does not reflect well on my Alma Mater.

what if it would cost more for the university to defend than settle?

USF will settle only if they feel like they did not give leavitt a proper pre-termination meeting...

They seemed to believe they had an airtight reason to fire Leavitt.  I would expect them to tenaciously defend themselves and the assets and reputation of the University.

They seemed to believe they had an airtight reason to fire Leavitt.  I would expect them to tenaciously defend themselves and the assets and reputation of the University.

Do you want your university to be embarassed on the stand and have the negative publicity rehashed over and over?  Even if the university has an airtight case, the best a trial can uncover is that the university employed an abusive head coach.

Please tell me how that helps your university.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Well...apparently that's what Judy and Doug want because it is they who refuse to settle.  Judy and Doug intend to embarass the University in order to save themselves.

I truly hope that is true, as I believe they have a pretty air tight case.  Two strong drivers for them settling are the cost of defending themselves and allowing the cloud of this incident to linger over our program.  The reality is it is probably cheaper for them to settle depending on what Jim is asking for, but I am with bulliever, I'd rather see this thing go the distance.

Well...apparently that's what Judy and Doug want because it is they who refuse to settle.  Judy and Doug intend to embarass the University in order to save themselves.

You obviously don't know anything about our legal system.  This isn't remotely close to going to trial.  There is at least another year of posturing.

Since you know so much and think USF is being stubborn, how much has Jimmy offered to settle for?

I'd rather see this thing go the distance.

Not me.  That would harm both sides.  And I like USF and Leavitt.  We don't need to see either side dragged through the mud any more than they already have been.

Joel should sue.

I thought his attorney promised it.

He's the one that was both manipulative and manipulated.  He likely could be both sued and sue someone else - depending on which of his stories we are to believe.

We're able to jump to the conclusion Leavitt lied.  WE KNOW MILLER LIED.  That's not a horse I'm ready to bet on.

How Miller escapes any further examination is beyond me.  I think when one is accused by a disgruntled and known liar, a case exists for the accused.  For that reason, USF should have been thorough.  Perhaps they were, but it does not seem so.  As DataBull often said, there is probably much more to the investigation than what USF released (let's hope so). If that's the case, then they can possibly shut down Leavitt.  If not, then they have some shoddy work to stand on.

Archived