• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Not About The Money

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

This guy's name is Travis. I think he is a man. That better Triple?

http://thebackporch.sportspagenetwork.com/2010/01/Mark-McGwire-did-steriods-USC-is-still-in-trouble-and-Jim-Leavitt-needs-to-use-his-inside-voice-.aspx

...Thought #3 - Would someone please tell Jim Leavitt to use his inside voice? If you didn't catch it, Leavitt stood in from of the media Monday and basically yelled about how he wants is job as the head football coach at the University of South Florida back. Leavitt was dismissed recently following allegations that he slapped a player in the face during halftime of the Bulls' game against  Louisville this season.

You know what's not convincing me you aren't capable of smacking a player? Shouting at the media. Seriously, either Jim has major anger management problems or the hearing of a 95 year old former construction worker. He sounded like the kid who tries to talk to you without taking his headphones off, 5 feet away from you and just screaming. Come on Jim, we get it, you love USF. You built that program and hate the idea of it ending this way. We get what you're saying, just tone it down a little. It's a press conference, not a WWE event.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,622
  • Days Won:  424

And its not just results on the field that matters. IF that were true USF would be trying its best to break every NCAA rule to win, including performance enhancing drugs without getting caught. Theses kids are supposed to be getting an education and learning. Football is part of that and may be the only reason they can get into college, but its not the end all.

Jesus, I didn't think I needed to qualify that "by winning on the field legally" .... Bottom line is coaches don't get fired for not graduating kids and winning. You think those mythical boosters would have a problem with CJL's "antics" if he had a couple of conference titles and a BCS win? Come on, slick, wake up and smell the coffee.

Travis's GOAL is to become a sports talk radio host ... http://www.examiner.com/x-28550-Roanoke-Sports-Examiner?showbio ... Keep Googling, slick, until you can come with a legitimate source.  ;)

Maybe Ryan Hamilton has weighed in on this somewhere ...

Well I found an article by Greg when Leavitt got his raise. Pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time. And back then,  one of the comments on the article by "Tim"

03/11/08 09:28 AM

It's nice to see a "Local boy makes good" story..One thing Jim. Learn to control the anger.. I thought your head was going to explode a few times last season..And work on that "Grumpy Popeye" scowl. It's like you caught Olive Oil in bed with Brutus..

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/11/news_pf/Sports/Leavitt_deal_reflects.shtml

Leavitt deal reflects high expectations

USF's football coach has the Big East's highest annual salary but says it adds no pressure.

By Greg Auman

Published March 11, 2008

TAMPA - The seven-year, $12.6-million contract Jim Leavitt signed Monday will make him the Big East's highest-paid coach. Is there additional pressure that comes with that title?

"I was going to feel the same pressure at $75,000 a year," Leavitt said, referring to his original 1996 salary with the Bulls. "When we lose, I destroy myself. So the pressure that comes with this means nothing to me."

Leavitt, 51, picked up his second significant raise in little more than two years: His 2008 salary of $1.5-million is nearly triple the $537,680 he made in 2005, and that salary will increase by $100,000 each year in the deal.

"This extension is reflective of the market, is highly competitive within the Big East Conference and continues to demonstrate our commitment and our desire to provide the type of program our fans and alumni deserve," athletic director Doug Woolard said in a statement.

The contract is very similar to the offer first reported in late January, and it's a major raise over his previous contract, signed two years ago, which paid $1-million per year through 2012.

With an average of $1.8-million per year, Leavitt jumps ahead of Connecticut's Randy Edsall $1.5-million per year and Rutgers' Greg Schiano ($1.7-million) to become the Big East's highest-paid coach. And the contract increases the salary pool for Leavitt's nine assistant coaches to $1.25-million, with the pool increasing by $100,000 in each of the next four seasons.

More than a month had passed since the offer was first reported, but Leavitt had said the delay "really wasn't much of a glitch" as he was attending to finalizing his incoming recruiting class and hiring two assistants to complete his staff.

Given the university's economic climate, USF was careful to point out that no state funds would be used toward Leavitt's raise, with the funding coming from USF's marketing agreement with ISP Sports and its new apparel contract with Under Armour.

Leavitt is the only coach in USF's 11-year football history, with a record of 79-47, including bowl trips in each of the past three seasons. A 6-0 start last season, including upsets of ranked Auburn and West Virginia teams, vaulted USF to No.2 in the national rankings, and the Bulls finished their season at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, where they lost to Oregon 56-21.

Should another program try to pry Leavitt from USF, the cost of terminating the contract earlier is a high one: $1-million in 2008, with the buyout decreasing by $100,000 each year until it plateaus at $500,000 in 2013.

"I think that helps show a commitment on both sides," Woolard said.

The contract's incentives put no limit to USF's success and include $75,000 for playing in a BCS bowl, which escalates to $100,000 if USF wins the Big East, $200,000 if the Bulls play in the national championship game and $250,000 if USF wins a national title.

That last win-it-all clause was added to the contract since USF's initial offer was reported in January, as was a provision giving Leavitt $50,000 if the Bulls finish in the top 10 in the Associated Press or coaches' polls. Leavitt can earn $50,000 for being honored as Big East coach of the year.

.FAST FACTS

State deals

How Jim Leavitt's contract stacks up with some other coaches in the state:

Leavitt, USF: $1.8-million per year through the 2014 season

Urban Meyer, Florida: $3.2-million per year through the 2012 season

Bobby Bowden, FSU: $2.4-million per year through January

Randy Shannon, Miami: $800,000 to $1-million a year through 2010 season

And its not just results on the field that matters. IF that were true USF would be trying its best to break every NCAA rule to win, including performance enhancing drugs without getting caught. Theses kids are supposed to be getting an education and learning. Football is part of that and may be the only reason they can get into college, but its not the end all.

Jesus, I didn't think I needed to qualify that "by winning on the field legally" .... Bottom line is coaches don't get fired for not graduating kids and winning. You think those mythical boosters would have a problem with CJL's "antics" if he had a couple of conference titles and a BCS win? Come on, slick, wake up and smell the coffee.

Who is in fantasy land now? Leavitt with a couple of conference titles and a BCS win? ROFLOL

Travis's GOAL is to become a sports talk radio host ... http://www.examiner.com/x-28550-Roanoke-Sports-Examiner?showbio ... Keep Googling, slick, until you can come with a legitimate source.  ;)

Maybe Ryan Hamilton has weighed in on this somewhere ...

Who do you want? Tampa is not by Palm Beach is it?  Randy sounds like he knows what he is doing. Google for yourself, many thought Leavitt was a bully.

USF's Jim Leavitt latest coach to be fired or resign over allegations of player abuse

By JORGE MILIAN

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 6:23 p.m. Friday, Jan. 8, 2010

Posted: 6:15 p.m. Friday, Jan. 8, 2010

South Florida's Jim Leavitt on Friday became the latest college football coach to lose his job for allegedly engaging in physical or verbal abuse of a player.

Leavitt, the only coach in USF's 13-year football history, was dismissed after a university investigation found he grabbed one of his players by the throat and slapped him during halftime of a game on Nov. 21.

Leavitt is the third high-profile coach in the past month that has been forced to resign or got fired because of an incident involving a player. Mark Mangino resigned as Kansas coach on Dec. 3 after he was accused of directing emotional and verbal abuse at players. Texas Tech fired Mike Leach on Dec. 30 after the family of receiver Adam James said the coach mistreated the player after he suffered a concussion.

USF's Board of Trustees found that Leavitt struck walk-on Adam Miller, then lied about it and interfered with the school's investigation.

"The disparity in authority and power between you as the head coach and the student athlete makes your conduct more serious," USF athletic director Doug Woolard said in a termination letter sent to Leavitt and released to reporters.

According to the investigation, several players saw Leavitt grab Miller by the throat in the locker room and slap him twice in the face during halftime of USF's game against Louisville. Miller had been penalized in the first half and was also on the punt coverage unit that allowed a touchdown. One player, according to the report, described Leavitt's actions against Miller as a "crime."

The Web site AOL FanHouse initially reported the incident, citing Miller's father, high school coach and five USF players as sources. Miller's father later backtracked, telling reporters Leavitt did not strike his son but rather grabbed him by the shoulder pads while trying to motivate him.

"I'm very disappointed," Leavitt told the Associated Press by phone. "The allegations as reported are absolutely false. I will respond in time."

Leavitt, who was 95-57 and just completed the second season of a seven-year, $12.6 million contract, is known as one of the most excitable coaches in the game. On the same day of the incident that caused his firing, Leavitt showed up at his post-game press conference bruised and bloodied after head-butting a USF player who was still wearing his helmet.

Leavitt's situation may be further evidence that the days when college coaches can dispense discipline in any manner they wish may be over.

========================================================================

"You got to handle [players] like they're your kids," UM coach Randy Shannon said. "But everyone handles it differently."

Shannon said his approach is not to take action against a player when he's upset because it can lead to unfortunate circumstances.

"I may say the wrong things or do the wrong things at that time," Shannon said. "So I don't."

Shannon said he does not put his hands on players in any circumstances unless absolutely necessary. Such a case occurred in the final seconds of UM's 20-14 loss to Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl on Dec. 29 when freshman defensive end Olivier Vernon became involved in some pushing and shoving with a Wisconsin player.

Shannon walked on the field, grabbed Vernon by the collar and slowly walked him off the field.

"You don't have to make a scene," Shannon said. "Nobody wants to be embarrassed. You just have to know your players."

The firings of Leavitt and Leach and the resignation of Mangino may be a sign that today's player is less accepting of old-school disciplinary measures imposed by coaches.

"When you ask, 'Has coaching changed?' the answer is 'No, it hasn't,'" said Grant Teaff, the former Baylor coach who is now executive director of the American Football Coaches Association.

"What's changed is the focus, the magnifying glass, the culture we live in."

Well I found an article by Greg when Leavitt got his raise. Pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time. And back then,  one of the comments on the article by "Tim"

It's nice to see a "Local boy makes good" story..One thing Jim. Learn to control the anger.. I thought your head was going to explode a few times last season..And work on that "Grumpy Popeye" scowl. It's like you caught Olive Oil in bed with Brutus..

USF's football coach has the Big East's highest annual salary but says it adds no pressure.

By Greg Auman

Published March 11, 2008

TAMPA - The seven-year, $12.6-million contract Jim Leavitt signed Monday will make him the Big East's highest-paid coach. Is there additional pressure that comes with that title?

"I was going to feel the same pressure at $75,000 a year," Leavitt said, referring to his original 1996 salary with the Bulls. "When we lose, I destroy myself. So the pressure that comes with this means nothing to me."

Leavitt, 51, picked up his second significant raise in little more than two years: His 2008 salary of $1.5-million is nearly triple the $537,680 he made in 2005, and that salary will increase by $100,000 each year in the deal.

"This extension is reflective of the market, is highly competitive within the Big East Conference and continues to demonstrate our commitment and our desire to provide the type of program our fans and alumni deserve," athletic director Doug Woolard said in a statement.

The contract is very similar to the offer first reported in late January, and it's a major raise over his previous contract, signed two years ago, which paid $1-million per year through 2012.

With an average of $1.8-million per year, Leavitt jumps ahead of Connecticut's Randy Edsall $1.5-million per year and Rutgers' Greg Schiano ($1.7-million) to become the Big East's highest-paid coach. And the contract increases the salary pool for Leavitt's nine assistant coaches to $1.25-million, with the pool increasing by $100,000 in each of the next four seasons.

More than a month had passed since the offer was first reported, but Leavitt had said the delay "really wasn't much of a glitch" as he was attending to finalizing his incoming recruiting class and hiring two assistants to complete his staff.

Given the university's economic climate, USF was careful to point out that no state funds would be used toward Leavitt's raise, with the funding coming from USF's marketing agreement with ISP Sports and its new apparel contract with Under Armour.

Leavitt is the only coach in USF's 11-year football history, with a record of 79-47, including bowl trips in each of the past three seasons. A 6-0 start last season, including upsets of ranked Auburn and West Virginia teams, vaulted USF to No.2 in the national rankings, and the Bulls finished their season at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, where they lost to Oregon 56-21.

Should another program try to pry Leavitt from USF, the cost of terminating the contract earlier is a high one: $1-million in 2008, with the buyout decreasing by $100,000 each year until it plateaus at $500,000 in 2013.

The contract's incentives put no limit to USF's success and include $75,000 for playing in a BCS bowl, which escalates to $100,000 if USF wins the Big East, $200,000 if the Bulls play in the national championship game and $250,000 if USF wins a national title.

That last win-it-all clause was added to the contract since USF's initial offer was reported in January, as was a provision giving Leavitt $50,000 if the Bulls finish in the top 10 in the Associated Press or coaches' polls. Leavitt can earn $50,000 for being honored as Big East coach of the year.

.FAST FACTS

State deals

First, don't even bother to post some knucklehead's comment on Greg's, or anyone else's, blog. It only hurts your cause. Second, did you even read the article?? Where does it say he had added pressure? CJL specifically said he feels the same pressure no matter what the salary ... Not a spec of evidence there of any added pressure pushing him over the edge ... ****, slick.

By Greg Auman

Published March 11, 2008

.FAST FACTS

State deals

First, don't even bother to post some knucklehead's comment on Greg's, or anyone else's, blog. It only hurts your cause. Second, did you even read the article?? Where does it say he had added pressure? CJL specifically said he feels the same pressure no matter what the salary ... Not a spec of evidence there of any added pressure pushing him over the edge ... ****, slick.

What did you think he would say,"Oh yes, all this money has really put the pressure on me?" ROFLOL  Other people think Leavitt had anger issues. I am not the only one. So, yes I will post comments, blogs, opinions, etc. that support the notion that Leavitt's actions on the sideline were not normal by anyone's standard, well except maybe you and his buddy on here.

I hope after the lawsuits are over Bryant Gumble and HBO pick this story up on out of control coaches for Real Sports.

What did you think he would say,"Oh yes, all this money has really put the pressure on me?" ROFLOL

What I THOUGHT was when you made the statement "Well I found an article by Greg when Leavitt got his raise. Pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time. that the article following would, at least, have someone in there corroborating your wacky theory. There was nada about any added pressure, much less pushing him over the edge... why did you even bother to post that?

Archived