• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Not About The Money

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

For inspiration.

To see the real opinion you have of award winning columnists.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Called me out? Called out my opinion? I made a false statement about my opinion?

Deep breath, slick ..... Seriously, you need to take a few extra minutes and read things twice because you are woefully misreading them. I called you out because you prefaced the posting of an article with the statement that the article "pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time." The article DID NOT talk about what you have been saying. There was nothing about added money meaning added pressure or that the added pressure pushed him over the edge .... If I misread the article please c&p the part that addressed that.

Geez dude, how many pages was that back? Give it up, will you?

LOL .... Our posts were only 4 hours apart.... but I won't bring it up again.

If it wasn't the pressure of keeping his high paying job that contributed to it, please tell me what is your OPINION is to why he grabbed a player who caused a key penalty by the throat, slapped him, tells a story that exactly matches no one else's as to what happened, and then interfered with the investigation?

IMO, whatever happened in that lockerroom happened because Leavitt hates to lose, especially to an inferior team and even more especially because of mistakes, not because he was worried about mortgage payments ... and I'd be willing to bet that there have been similar type atmospheres in lockerrooms past, evidenced by previous headbutts ... and when the point came where CJL became concerned about job security, the panic came because it was his dream job going down the drain, not the 6 figure w-2 forms ... IMO.

Of course there was ...

Called me out? Called out my opinion? I made a false statement about my opinion?

Deep breath, slick ..... Seriously, you need to take a few extra minutes and read things twice because you are woefully misreading them. I called you out because you prefaced the posting of an article with the statement that the article "pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time." The article DID NOT talk about what you have been saying. There was nothing about added money meaning added pressure or that the added pressure pushed him over the edge .... If I misread the article please c&p the part that addressed that.

If it wasn't the pressure of keeping his high paying job that contributed to it, please tell me what is your OPINION is to why he grabbed a player who caused a key penalty by the throat, slapped him, tells a story that exactly matches no one else's as to what happened, and then interfered with the investigation?

IMO, whatever happened in that lockerroom happened because Leavitt hates to lose, especially to an inferior team and even more especially because of mistakes, not because he was worried about mortgage payments ... and I'd be willing to bet that there have been similar type atmospheres in lockerrooms past, evidenced by previous headbutts ... and when the point came where CJL became concerned about job security, the panic came because it was his dream job going down the drain, not the 6 figure w-2 forms ... IMO.

Of course there was ...

It was 7 figure W-2 forms. And if Leavitt had the reaction because of not winning against any kind of team he needs help. Or he needs to move to the NFL where if he does that, unless its the punter, he will be in deep do do. I still say the trappings of wealth became a part of it, but really I guess that is not the point as much he kinda just plan lost it.

BTW, he he talks initially about it not being about the money, he was making $20k more as an assistant. Don't you think when he was in negotiations with USF they told him that the budget was limited at the time, he would be running the show, and after the program got off the ground the money would come? And, it did, didn't it? They also needed him to actively help bring in sponsors and that would lead to bigger salary for him and his staff? Its like those ads you see...start on the ground floor, sky is the limit. Wasn't that part of the "dream job"?

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

For inspiration.

I have sent Greg my opinion of Gary Shelton in the past.  But my opinion, much like Brad's, is that Gary is a band waggoner.  He didn't write 1 thing good or bad about our program for years, in favor of UM, FSU, UF.  Then when he finally noticed, we had already done tremendous things.  Too little, too late.  Then he wrote on occasion about little things about us, only to turn around and slam us at the first opportunity he could with his crazy opinions.  When I look up the word Narcissism, I expect his picture to be there.

Of course there was ...

It was 7 figure W-2 forms.

Leavitt really brought home over a mil?

BTW, he he talks initially about it not being about the money, he was making $20k more as an assistant. Don't you think when he was in negotiations with USF they told him that the budget was limited at the time, he would be running the show, and after the program got off the ground the money would come? And, it did, didn't it? They also needed him to actively help bring in sponsors and that would lead to bigger salary for him and his staff? Its like those ads you see...start on the ground floor, sky is the limit. Wasn't that part of the "dream job"?

Again, you're implying that a driving factor in all this was financial and I just don't THINK that's true. It was his dream job because it was a chance to build a major college football program from scratch, in basically his hometown, one of the best areas in the country to live. I guess maybe you can't grasp this because you're so financially driven and can't fathom money NOT being a driving force in everything, I don't know.... and honestly, that's not meant as a knock but just an observation.

For inspiration.

A columnist's job is to entertain and create a following, mostly with humor, and it doesn't matter at whose expense ... and we've got several in the area who are really good at their job... and if you don't have a problem with them doing it at the expense of USF, that's your prerogative. Others see it differently

Shelton probably won the award based on some tear jerker stories he wrote during the year. That's another criteria they use, the human interest story ... They know people eat that crap up. Bottom line is that his is just another man's opinion, no more valid than yours, mine or Brad's ...

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Nonetheless, as I have always said, I want it to be resolved correctly and not by selling some guy down the river and acting as if it is no big deal. 

I'm amazed that simply asking for a fair and impartial hearing of the facts upsets you so.

I don't understand why you feel as if Leavitt was taken advantage of (ok, I'm amazed).  Unlike most of the players, Leavitt had legal representation throughout this process.  If he didn't, he's not nearly as smart as he would have to be to run a football program at this level.  He certainly had the means to retain an attorney, and certainly the allegations were such that he should have been concerned. 

He was interviewed to give his side of the story.  Either he told a completely wrong story or (as Mizzou allege), his story was misrepresented in the investigation summary.  I find this amazingly hard to believe, with his representation with him at the time he was being interviewed. 

What more does Leavitt need, a cookie?

That's far more than you or I would get if we were terminated.

If he so naive and experienced to be taken advantage of during a situation that took weeks to unfold, then he should have never been running a football program with a multi million dollar budget.

Sorry, I'll feel sorry for the players that did not have access to the same legal counsel that Leavitt did and does.

Unless I missed it in the report, I do not think Leavitt had counsel present when interviewed by the investigators.  Although he may have engaged them already, I doubt they were involved in the investigation.

Of course there was ...

It was 7 figure W-2 forms.

Leavitt really brought home over a mil?

Again, you're implying that a driving factor in all this was financial and I just don't THINK that's true. It was his dream job because it was a chance to build a major college football program from scratch, in basically his hometown, one of the best areas in the country to live. I guess maybe you can't grasp this because you're so financially driven and can't fathom money NOT being a driving force in everything, I don't know.... and honestly, that's not meant as a knock but just an observation.

Wasn't he eventually going to make over a mil a year? College Football is financially driven. Leavitt's ATTORNEY is financially driven. Leavitt's LAWSUIT is financially driven. I guess maybe you can't grasp that money is a big driving factor in someone who buys a 1.7 million dollar house. Geez

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Really??

SANJAY is a practicing attorney.  What has he told you about it?

Nothing that I recall.  He is smart enough to stay out of this sub-board for the most part.

But I'm a sucker and can be goaded once in a while.

The whole pre-termination hearing was, in my opinion, the opportunity for Leavitt to have counsel present, call witnesses, cross examine witnesses etc.  Basically to present his side in a formal more legal setting than the interview the investigators performed.  Was this level of formality spelled out in the contract?  No.  You can bet that leavitt's lawyers will say that he was entitled to all the trappings of a civil lawsuit (proferrs of evidence, objections, cross examination, etc) at this hearing and USF saying it was a simple meeting with Leavitt and the university representatives.  It would be relevant how USF has conducted hearings on other employees with similar clauses.

Leavitt's lawyers will have to prove though that if this hearing ahd occurred as they desribe it that the university would not have had sufficient basis to terminate leavitt for cause.  Kind of a case within a case.

For inspiration.

A columnist's job is to entertain and create a following, mostly with humor, and it doesn't matter at whose expense ... and we've got several in the area who are really good at their job... and if you don't have a problem with them doing it at the expense of USF, that's your prerogative. Others see it differently

Shelton probably won the award based on some tear jerker stories he wrote during the year. That's another criteria they use, the human interest story ... They know people eat that crap up. Bottom line is that his is just another man's opinion, no more valid than yours, mine or Brad's ...

Except yours, mine and Brad's opinions have not won any national awards by their peers. We don't get paid for our opinions. We don't make a living off our opinions at what at least the people that award Pulitzer say is one of the top newspapers in the country. People do't pay to read our opinions. Other then that I guess you are correct..with those rather large qualifiers. And USF is not perfect. I expect that every now and then someone points out when there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Unless you think USF just needs to be blindly praised no matter what.

Archived