• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Not About The Money

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

Wasn't he eventually going to make over a mil a year? College Football is financially driven. Leavitt's ATTORNEY is financially driven. Leavitt's LAWSUIT is financially driven. I guess maybe you can't grasp that money is a big driving factor in someone who buys a 1.7 million dollar house. Geez

I'm done .... You obviously think Leavitt's priorities were the same as yours ... i don't think they were. Just have to leave it at that.

And just for the record, I fully recognize that everything is pretty much financially driven NOW but that's not what we have been debating ...

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Wasn't he eventually going to make over a mil a year? College Football is financially driven. Leavitt's ATTORNEY is financially driven. Leavitt's LAWSUIT is financially driven. I guess maybe you can't grasp that money is a big driving factor in someone who buys a 1.7 million dollar house. Geez

I'm done .... You obviously think Leavitt's priorities were the same as yours ... i don't think they were. Just have to leave it at that.

And just for the record, I fully recognize that everything is pretty much financially driven NOW but that's not what we have been debating ...

I obviously don't think that Leavitt's motivation is the same as mine. I have not sued my employer for millions, I don't live in a mansion and my wardrobe is nowhere near his. My attorney is not the most successful ambulance chaser in the county. And I am not saying he was not devoted to USF that coaching wasn't his dream job, yada yada. But he obviously spent and made a ton of money since 2006. You can have more then one priority in life. 

For inspiration.

To see the real opinion you have of award winning columnists.

A columnist's job is to entertain and create a following, mostly with humor, and it doesn't matter at whose expense ... and we've got several in the area who are really good at their job... and if you don't have a problem with them doing it at the expense of USF, that's your prerogative. Others see it differently

Shelton probably won the award based on some tear jerker stories he wrote during the year. That's another criteria they use, the human interest story ... They know people eat that crap up. Bottom line is that his is just another man's opinion, no more valid than yours, mine or Brad's ...

Except yours, mine and Brad's opinions have not won any national awards by their peers. We don't get paid for our opinions. We don't make a living off our opinions at what at least the people that award Pulitzer say is one of the top newspapers in the country. People do't pay to read our opinions. Other then that I guess you are correct..with those rather large qualifiers.

LOL .... Those "qualifiers" don't mean squat. He doesn't get paid for his opinions because they're valuable to anybody, he gets paid because they're entertaining and sell newspapers.  Doctors, lawyers, etc get paid for their opinions. Dear Abby gets paid for her opinion. Sports scouts get paid for their opinions. He won the award for writing skill,  not his opinion. People don't make decisions based on his opinion which mean it's no more valid than ours.

Unless I missed it in the report, I do not think Leavitt had counsel present when interviewed by the investigators.  Although he may have engaged them already, I doubt they were involved in the investigation.

In hind sight, looking at back record keeping methods of the investigators, would it have been a good idea to have counsel there? .... Although, it may not have looked to good at that point in the investigation.

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

For inspiration.

To see the real opinion you have of award winning columnists.

A columnist's job is to entertain and create a following, mostly with humor, and it doesn't matter at whose expense ... and we've got several in the area who are really good at their job... and if you don't have a problem with them doing it at the expense of USF, that's your prerogative. Others see it differently

Shelton probably won the award based on some tear jerker stories he wrote during the year. That's another criteria they use, the human interest story ... They know people eat that crap up. Bottom line is that his is just another man's opinion, no more valid than yours, mine or Brad's ...

Except yours, mine and Brad's opinions have not won any national awards by their peers. We don't get paid for our opinions. We don't make a living off our opinions at what at least the people that award Pulitzer say is one of the top newspapers in the country. People do't pay to read our opinions. Other then that I guess you are correct..with those rather large qualifiers.

LOL .... Those "qualifiers" don't mean squat. He doesn't get paid for his opinions because they're valuable to anybody, he gets paid because they're entertaining and sell newspapers.  Doctors, lawyers, etc get paid for their opinions. Dear Abby gets paid for her opinion. Sports scouts get paid for their opinions. He won the award for writing skill,  not his opinion. People don't make decisions based on his opinion which mean it's no more valid than ours.

Well, that is your opinion. I was neither entertained by it nor were you paid for it. That is the difference.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Unless I missed it in the report, I do not think Leavitt had counsel present when interviewed by the investigators.  Although he may have engaged them already, I doubt they were involved in the investigation.

In hind sight, looking at back record keeping methods of the investigators, would it have been a good idea to have counsel there? .... Although, it may not have looked to good at that point in the investigation.

Maybe.  The university could argue that he was not cooperating with the investigation if he decided to "lawyer up".  Also, I am not sure what his counsel could do at the investigation stage as anything they stated could be construed as attempting to impede or sway the investigation.

Also, it was not the record keeping solely related to Leavitt that he will make an issue.  Where are the written witness statements, affidavits, tape recordings or transcripts from the various witnesses?  Maybe they exist and have not been produced in the discovery yet, but as I recall these were requested pursuant to a public records request and there was nothing produced.  There must be a reason that the investigation team did not do a more formal documentation of the witness statement given the potential fallout of the investigation.  Maybe there is a good reason (I admit I do not do employment law) but if I was firing a guy with a potential $7million claim I would have spent some time and money making sure that I had 1. Documentation to support the firing and 2. Documentation that I could use against any of the witnesses should they later try and recant or clarify their prior statements.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Called me out? Called out my opinion? I made a false statement about my opinion?

Deep breath, slick ..... Seriously, you need to take a few extra minutes and read things twice because you are woefully misreading them. I called you out because you prefaced the posting of an article with the statement that the article "pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time." The article DID NOT talk about what you have been saying. There was nothing about added money meaning added pressure or that the added pressure pushed him over the edge .... If I misread the article please c&p the part that addressed that.

Geez dude, how many pages was that back? Give it up, will you?

LOL .... Our posts were only 4 hours apart.... but I won't bring it up again.

If it wasn't the pressure of keeping his high paying job that contributed to it, please tell me what is your OPINION is to why he grabbed a player who caused a key penalty by the throat, slapped him, tells a story that exactly matches no one else's as to what happened, and then interfered with the investigation?

IMO, whatever happened in that lockerroom happened because Leavitt hates to lose, especially to an inferior team and even more especially because of mistakes, not because he was worried about mortgage payments ... and I'd be willing to bet that there have been similar type atmospheres in lockerrooms past, evidenced by previous headbutts ... and when the point came where CJL became concerned about job security, the panic came because it was his dream job going down the drain, not the 6 figure w-2 forms ... IMO.

Of course there was ...

We were winning during the incident.

Called me out? Called out my opinion? I made a false statement about my opinion?

Deep breath, slick ..... Seriously, you need to take a few extra minutes and read things twice because you are woefully misreading them. I called you out because you prefaced the posting of an article with the statement that the article "pretty much talks about what I have been saying. That the added money meant added pressure and that pushed him over the edge during that half time." The article DID NOT talk about what you have been saying. There was nothing about added money meaning added pressure or that the added pressure pushed him over the edge .... If I misread the article please c&p the part that addressed that.

Geez dude, how many pages was that back? Give it up, will you?

LOL .... Our posts were only 4 hours apart.... but I won't bring it up again.

If it wasn't the pressure of keeping his high paying job that contributed to it, please tell me what is your OPINION is to why he grabbed a player who caused a key penalty by the throat, slapped him, tells a story that exactly matches no one else's as to what happened, and then interfered with the investigation?

IMO, whatever happened in that lockerroom happened because Leavitt hates to lose, especially to an inferior team and even more especially because of mistakes, not because he was worried about mortgage payments ... and I'd be willing to bet that there have been similar type atmospheres in lockerrooms past, evidenced by previous headbutts ... and when the point came where CJL became concerned about job security, the panic came because it was his dream job going down the drain, not the 6 figure w-2 forms ... IMO.

Of course there was ...

We were winning during the incident.

*sigh* ... yes, hatter, I know that. We went back ahead at the end of the half after a 16 point quarter for the Cards.  It felt like we were losing..

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Perhaps he did not have counsel present.  But are we to believe that Leavitt had not spoken to counsel at all, given the long advance warning of an investigation?  It is certainly possible, if he truly believed that the incident would turn up nothing.  But if that was the case, why would he (allegedly) be concerned enough to apologize to Miller, talk to players, throw out equipment, etc.  You would think someone with the resources of Leavitt and as much on the line as Leavitt would have spoken to counsel, formally or informally.  If he didn't...well...that doesn't seem like it would be good judgement.

Maybe.  The university could argue that he was not cooperating with the investigation if he decided to "lawyer up".  Also, I am not sure what his counsel could do at the investigation stage as anything they stated could be construed as attempting to impede or sway the investigation.

Also, it was not the record keeping solely related to Leavitt that he will make an issue.  Where are the written witness statements, affidavits, tape recordings or transcripts from the various witnesses?  Maybe they exist and have not been produced in the discovery yet, but as I recall these were requested pursuant to a public records request and there was nothing produced.  There must be a reason that the investigation team did not do a more formal documentation of the witness statement given the potential fallout of the investigation.  Maybe there is a good reason (I admit I do not do employment law) but if I was firing a guy with a potential $7million claim I would have spent some time and money making sure that I had 1. Documentation to support the firing and 2. Documentation that I could use against any of the witnesses should they later try and recant or clarify their prior statements.

Honestly, there are so many holes on BOTH sides, I don't think either want to go trial .... It's going to boil down to who blinks first. Although, CJL doesn't really have that much to lose by going through with it. It's going to be really interesting to see how it plays out.

Archived