• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Playing UCF

What do you want USF to do regarding football with UCF?   

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Losing to WKU would not affect recruiting in Florida like losing to UCF might.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Now would it be funner to play them then WKY or Wofford? Hell yeah, but at what cost to the rest of our season... if we lose then we are screwed, if we win by a hair then we are still screwed because we still lose ground in the AP/Coaches polls. Now if the National pollsters gave us the same cushion that they allot Notre Dame if they should lose to Navy or Army then it would be a different story, in that case I'd say play UCiF every season, until the Big East expands this would be an easy way to schedule teams - but since that is not the case its neither here nor there.

I'm not trying to make the argument that we should play UCF, but it seems like the leading reason not to play them is because it is a lose/lose situation for USF.  Isn’t a game against WKY also “lose/loseâ€; I’m trying to understand the difference?

Is WKY not viewed as “lose/lose†because they are less likely to beat us than UCF?  If so, then that would seem to suggest that we are reluctant to play UCF due to fear.  Would that also mean that we would not want to play any non-BCS team that is as good as or better than UCF?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a loss against UCF as worse than a loss to WKY?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a win against WKY as better than a win against UCF?

Or, is it because we don’t recruit against WKY?  Ehh.

No, the main reason is because one in state series has been replaced by 2 others (UM and FSU).  Forget about some posters and commentators saying that they were replaced by Ball and WKU.  That is only a technicality.  The REALITY is that they were replaced by Miami as our annual in state game.  Therefore, there is no need to play them.  Why don't we just play everyone in the state every year, if we listened to some of your arguments (not you personally, some posters).

Miami is a better annual game, what don't some people get?????

We didn't drop UCF to play Miami.

Yes we did.  One in state series ended in 08, and was replaced by another in 09.  This is really very simple people.

• Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

Now would it be funner to play them then WKY or Wofford? Hell yeah, but at what cost to the rest of our season... if we lose then we are screwed, if we win by a hair then we are still screwed because we still lose ground in the AP/Coaches polls. Now if the National pollsters gave us the same cushion that they allot Notre Dame if they should lose to Navy or Army then it would be a different story, in that case I'd say play UCiF every season, until the Big East expands this would be an easy way to schedule teams - but since that is not the case its neither here nor there.

I'm not trying to make the argument that we should play UCF, but it seems like the leading reason not to play them is because it is a lose/lose situation for USF.  Isn’t a game against WKY also “lose/loseâ€; I’m trying to understand the difference?

Is WKY not viewed as “lose/lose†because they are less likely to beat us than UCF?  If so, then that would seem to suggest that we are reluctant to play UCF due to fear.  Would that also mean that we would not want to play any non-BCS team that is as good as or better than UCF?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a loss against UCF as worse than a loss to WKY?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a win against WKY as better than a win against UCF?

Or, is it because we don’t recruit against WKY?  Ehh.

No, the main reason is because one in state series has been replaced by 2 others (UM and FSU).  Forget about some posters and commentators saying that they were replaced by Ball and WKU.  That is only a technicality.  The REALITY is that they were replaced by Miami as our annual in state game.  Therefore, there is no need to play them.  Why don't we just play everyone in the state every year, if we listened to some of your arguments (not you personally, some posters).

Miami is a better annual game, what don't some people get?????

Naturally, the Miami series is golden, but I'm not talking about an annual series here.  Do UCF/UM have to be mutually exclusive in a given season?  Isn’t the state boundary somewhat trivial?

• Content Count:  444

Losing to WKU would not affect recruiting in Florida like losing to UCF might.

Okay, so USF should temper the risk of a loss to UCF and the number/quality of recruits that would potentially be surrendered due to that loss against the benefits of the additional revenues that a game against UCF would bring above other non-BCS opponents.

Should we play them about 1 out of every 3 years until every home game is a sell out regardless of the opponent?

• Content Count:  75

Question:  WHY doesn't UCF play FAU or FIU on a annual home and home basis?

Answer:  They are scared OR they don't want to help improve those school's recruiting

• Content Count:  4,016

Can anyone name a single BCS team who plays an annual game with a non BCS team, with the exception of the service academies & Notre Dame?   

Two off the top of my head:

Colorado - Colorado State

Cincinnati - Miami

Here's a good list after Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

True, but two things that make those games different.  In the case of Colorado those are two of the three 1-A teams in the entire state- the third is Air Force.  So it makes sense for those two to play, if USF and UCF were the only two FL schools like in Colorado then ok that makes sense.  We're not, and we've got bigger options as seen with our signings of FSU, UF, and Miami.  Until those three want to stop playing us then you go after those three first.

On the Cincinnati v. Miami rivalry.  There has been talk at Cinci about dropping Miami since they've dominated the series lately, but OSU is the only other dominating team in the state and they refuse to give Cinci any type of meaningful series ala Miami (FL), and FSU has done for us.  If Cinci had it's choice they'd drop Miami in a nano-second if OSU would schedule a meaningful home and away series.  Miami (FL) and FSU have done that for us so again you stick with those games until they turn us down.

USF has FAU back on it's schedule, and with FSU, UF, and MIami (FL) there's to much FL on the schedule.  We've got to be careful too.  You can get a bit over-crazy scheduling in-state teams if you took up UCF, FIU, and FAU on every whim and still want to play FSU, UF, and MIami.  You don't want 3 or 4 FL teams in a given year on your schedule...it gets to be to much pressure on the kids, the kids get up for the MIami's and FSU's and then try to coast the UCF, FIU, and FAU's of the world...and a close game for those teams is a recruiting victory for them, and a painful lesson for us.  Take FIU last year, we got a lot of guys hurt in that game because they were really hitting, and had quite a few late hits-- two penalties called for late hit.  UCF the same thing, they had three late hits, one where they took out our punt returner on a fair catch and knocked him out of the game.  You lightly sprinkle in those teams because of those circumstances when you've got FSU, Miami, and UF willing to schedule you.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Yes we did.  One in state series ended in 08, and was replaced by another in 09.  This is really very simple people.

Um no. We don't schedule for in state series...where the heck did that idea come from? We can play as many in state games as we want.

We use the following formula which has been discussed ad nausium.

2 BCS Teams

2 Non-BCS Teams

1 I-AA Team

So UCF was not replaced with Miami.

UCF was replaced with WKU. Miami replaced NC State, Kansas, UNC, Auburn....along with FSU.

We have played mulitiple in state teams in many seasons.

UCF & FIU in 2008

UCF & FAU in 2007

UCF & FIU in 2006

UCF, Miami & FAMU in 2005

So to clarify, I am not a UCF series supporter. Yes obviously you would want to play Miami as long as they are willing to continue the series. That's redundant and completly unrelated to the UCF argument. However, when booking those 2 non-BCS games...why WKU or Ball State? You know Ball State is a really good team? How would you like them to beat us when there is an easy road trip against a probable 3-8 team right down the road. I know the whole scheduling thing is not easy but why can't we schedule Navy or Army again. If you are going to replace UCF....that's fine....just do it with someone interesting.

Um no. We don't schedule for in state series...where the heck did that idea come from? We can play as many in state games as we want.

We use the following formula which has been discussed ad nausium.

2 BCS Teams

2 Non-BCS Teams

1 I-AA Team

So UCF was not replaced with Miami.

UCF was replaced with WKU. Miami replaced NC State, Kansas, UNC, Auburn....along with FSU.

We have played mulitiple in state teams in many seasons.

UCF & FIU in 2008

UCF & FAU in 2007

UCF & FIU in 2006

UCF, Miami & FAMU in 2005

So to clarify, I am not a UCF series supporter. Yes obviously you would want to play Miami as long as they are willing to continue the series. That's redundant and completly unrelated to the UCF argument. However, when booking those 2 non-BCS games...why WKU or Ball State? You know Ball State is a really good team? How would you like them to beat us when there is an easy road trip against a probable 3-8 team right down the road. I know the whole scheduling thing is not easy but why can't we schedule Navy or Army again. If you are going to replace UCF....that's fine....just do it with someone interesting.

UM YES.

As I said, this is very simple.  Yes, again, technically UCF was replaced by Ball St and WKU.  TECHNICALLY.  But, in REALITY, one annual in state rivalry game to be played every year was replaced by another annual in state rivalry game to be played every year.  THAT is what I am talking about.  Oh, yes, I know the arguments that technically one non bcs team - UCF - was replaced by another non bcs team, but I am talking about one rivalry game being swapped out for another, and that is what has happened.

As someone pointed out, when you already have FSU, UM, and UF on the sched, and they are willing to sched you.  You don't then go out and overschedule the FIU's, FAU's, and UCF's of the world.

By the way, when you are playing 2 of the big 3 every year, you need your share of cupcakes.  You don't go out and play games against the big 3, and then other tough games to boot.  No one schedules like that.  Take a look at some other bcs teams schedules sometimes

Archived