• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Playing UCF

What do you want USF to do regarding football with UCF?   

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

...  in reality one "annual rivalry game", was replaced by another "annual rivalry game" whether or not that team is bcs or not.  Bottom line is we were playing one state school every year, UCF, and are now playing another in state school every year, Miami.  That is all I am saying.

I think you're missing a big point. There was no "annual rivalry game" against UCF. 

1 - USF signed a single home-and-home (2 games) series against UCF.  (That is not an "annual rivalry")

2 - USF was invited to the Big East and we told C-USA to kiss our hairy ***.

3 - C-USA said we had to play FIVE games against C-USA members instead of paying a fine.

4 - C-USA invited UCF to join.

5 - C-USA said we could count the first two games against UCF and two more if we signed another home-and-home (2 game) series.

6 - C-USA said we didn't have to play a fifth game after all.

Where in all of that do you see "annual rivalry game" ?

However, the Miami series IS an annual game - because ESPN approached Miami and said, "Hey, what if we put you on ESPN on Thanksgiving weekend every year. Who would you want to play?" Miami said, "How 'bout USF?"  ESPN said, "Sounds good!"... and we added TWO more home-and-home (2 game) series with Miami, with options for more.

The difference?  The UCF "series" was never intended to be more than four games.  The Miami "series" is actually a series.

OK, I give up.  I actually agree with everything you said basically.  The UCF series ended and the UM series started, bottom line, and the Miami series is better.  That is what I am trying to say.

Also, I don't think we signed thefirst 2 game series with UCF until after we were invited to the BE, but I could be wrong.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  0

Thought I add a few thoughts from the UCF perspective.

First, I despise GOL and hope we can jettison him as soon as possible.  I agree with the posters that feel he is holding UCF back.  Unfortunately, UCF has an institutional inferiority complex that prevents some of our leadership from believing that we can do better than GOL.

Also, I have a feeling this years team will be improved enough 7-5 maybe to save GOL's ass for another year.  Unfortunately, that does nothing to propel us to where we could possibly be.

Regarding the series with USF.  It was a lot of fun from a fan perspective.  Both road games in Tampa were just all out great tailgates even if the second one was a bit on the early side and the game on-campus this past year was a blast.  I wish we had a bigger stadium so more USF fans could have attended. 

Throwing out the scores the USF games were a ton of fun and what makes college football so enjoyable.  However, I can see how the BCS vs. Non BCS thing changes the discussion.

For UCF its a fun game against a nearby school where the schools and fanbases have a ton in common.  If we win, its awesome bragging rights, if we lose well it stings and we move on.

For USF its more meaningful from a program perspective in that you cannot lose as every somewhat decent BCS team has National Championship aspirations.  This sucks a lot of the fun out playing non-BCS 1A OOC games. 

We've got a bunch of games with FIU on the schedule but instead of looking forward to some road trips to Miami many of our fans are dreading this series because GOL seems to have stagnated us and FIU seems to be improving. 

So, I can appreciate the USF viewpoint.  Hopefully its a moot argument and we'll both be members of the same conference one day.  Until then, I'll enjoy our basketball series and remember the good times during the football series.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Jim, technically the Miami games are a series too.

Miami said they aren't sure whether it will go beyond 2013

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Jim, technically the Miami games are a series too.

Miami said they aren't sure whether it will go beyond 2013

Thats because Miami is doing to us what we did basically to UCF... for example if UCF would had stole a game from us then chances are good that we would still be playing them.

So Here is a question for y'all... if we fail to beat any of the Big 3 between now and 2013 do we resume a series with UCiF?

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

The Miami series will be extended.

They will be defeated in the series, so no reason to even bring up that "what if".

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Also, I don't think we signed thefirst 2 game series with UCF until after we were invited to the BE, but I could be wrong.

The first 2 UCF games were signed before we were invited into the Big East. The latter 2 games were added in order to give us the required games against C-USA opponents.

TX, I don't think it's a sure thing. Paul Dee signed the deal on this way out the door, and Miami can get a hone and home with pretty much anyone they want.

I'd bet it's 50/50.

Plus don't you think UCF fans were saying the same thing 5 years ago?

TX, I don't think it's a sure thing. Paul Dee signed the deal on this way out the door, and Miami can get a hone and home with pretty much anyone they want.

I'd bet it's 50/50.

You do realize that Miami's new AD played LB at Kansas State while Leavitt was there right? I'd say it's a bit better than 50/50.

Then can home and homes with whomever they want (Oklahoma playing in Miami this season) and still have us on their schedule. If these upcoming games with the Hurricanes are good for tv, then you can bet that it wopuld be ise to continue playing on Thanksgiving weekend each season.

Eh, Still not sure it's 50/50...again, what do yu think UCF was saying four yeas ago? Even if UCF won a game or two that series would be done.

I think from Miami's prespective, whether this game is continued will rely on TV ratings.

Eh, Still not sure it's 50/50...again, what do yu think UCF was saying four yeas ago? Even if UCF won a game or two that series would be done.

I think from Miami's prespective, whether this game is continued will rely on TV ratings.

This has nothing to do with UCF, so why keep bringing them into this (yes, I know this is a USF-UCF related thread, but we're talking about Miami-USF now)? That was 4 games and done no matter which way you sliced it. USF has long aspired to bigger and better things (6 games with Miami with 3 at home, 2 with FSU with 1 at home show that time has arrived).

Miami gets another game on national TV each season with this deal, so that alone is a good start, especially from a financial and exposure standpoint. Couple that with USF bringing a good number of fans there and you help them with ticket and concessions sales. Same holds true for Miami fans coming to the games here at RJS.

Travel costs would be at a minimum, so that has to help as well in the economic times we're in.

Archived