• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Playing UCF

What do you want USF to do regarding football with UCF?   

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Can anyone name a single BCS team who plays an annual game with a non BCS team, with the exception of the service academies & Notre Dame?   

Two off the top of my head:

Colorado - Colorado State

Cincinnati - Miami

Here's a good list after Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

True.  I checked that list before asking and missed those.  Still doesn't seem to be much of it going on, and those two matchups go back to the 1800's.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  75

No we shouldn't help UCF more than we already have.  UCF needs to get a couple of 4-game home and home series with both FAU and FIU. Those are non-BCS schools that deserve to get a shot at them EVERY year.

Can anyone name a single BCS team who plays an annual game with a non BCS team, with the exception of the service academies & Notre Dame?   

Two off the top of my head:

Colorado - Colorado State

Cincinnati - Miami

Here's a good list after Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

True.  I checked that list before asking and missed those.  Still doesn't seem to be much of it going on, and those two matchups go back to the 1800's.

True... not many... and consider that almost all of the BCS teams themselves go back to the 1800s...

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

We don't need to play UCiF any time soon... under the inept leadership of GOL they don't have a shot in hell at beating us nor do they have a shot in hell at doing anything (recruiting, beating BCS schools, etc.) to make them into a worthy opponent.

Now would it be funner to play them then WKY or Wofford? Hell yeah, but at what cost to the rest of our season... if we lose then we are screwed, if we win by a hair then we are still screwed because we still lose ground in the AP/Coaches polls. Now if the National pollsters gave us the same cushion that they allot Notre Dame if they should lose to Navy or Army then it would be a different story, in that case I'd say play UCiF every season, until the Big East expands this would be an easy way to schedule teams - but since that is not the case its neither here nor there.

I also agree with IncrediBULL and MikeG in that we should consider resume playing them 5-10 years down the road after we have hopefully (*knock on wood*) won the Big East a few times, went to a BCS game or two, defeated at least one of the big three once or twice, and thus have improved our image a bit; hopefully during this time frame UCiF has given the boot to GOL and has improved their image as well.

The bottom line is that USF needs a rivalry game, with some mid-season trophy and bragging rights at stake; this is why most Bulls fans can't drop UCiF...

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

No.  Let them continue to wallow in mediocrity and insist on 1-and-1's with BCS schools...lol

• Content Count:  444

Now would it be funner to play them then WKY or Wofford? Hell yeah, but at what cost to the rest of our season... if we lose then we are screwed, if we win by a hair then we are still screwed because we still lose ground in the AP/Coaches polls. Now if the National pollsters gave us the same cushion that they allot Notre Dame if they should lose to Navy or Army then it would be a different story, in that case I'd say play UCiF every season, until the Big East expands this would be an easy way to schedule teams - but since that is not the case its neither here nor there.

I'm not trying to make the argument that we should play UCF, but it seems like the leading reason not to play them is because it is a lose/lose situation for USF.  Isn’t a game against WKY also “lose/loseâ€; I’m trying to understand the difference?

Is WKY not viewed as “lose/lose†because they are less likely to beat us than UCF?  If so, then that would seem to suggest that we are reluctant to play UCF due to fear.  Would that also mean that we would not want to play any non-BCS team that is as good as or better than UCF?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a loss against UCF as worse than a loss to WKY?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a win against WKY as better than a win against UCF?

Or, is it because we don’t recruit against WKY?  Ehh.

• Content Count:  2,511

Everyone acts as if Ball State, WKU and the DI-AA games are automatic wins.

If USF loses to one of those teams or squeaks by one of them, it would be a bigger disaster than a close game or loss against UCF.  No matter how biased you are, the national media viewed at the USF-UCF as a rivalry game, so close games or unexpected losses are forgiven and not punished as hard in the polls.  However the AP poll is pointless in the BCS, so who cares what the media thinks, unless they influence the Coaches Poll.

Guest USF-TechGuy

I'm not trying to make the argument that we should play UCF, but it seems like the leading reason not to play them is because it is a lose/lose situation for USF.  Isn’t a game against WKY also “lose/loseâ€; I’m trying to understand the difference?

Is WKY not viewed as “lose/lose†because they are less likely to beat us than UCF?  If so, then that would seem to suggest that we are reluctant to play UCF due to fear.  Would that also mean that we would not want to play any non-BCS team that is as good as or better than UCF?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a loss against UCF as worse than a loss to WKY?

Or, is WKY not “lose/lose†because the country would perceive a win against WKY as better than a win against UCF?

Because the argument of playing against UCF has no relevancy in our current season situation.

What some people dont seem to understand is that we dropped UCF to play against Miami in a yearly game.

It had no implications AT ALL to the first 3 games we are playing this season.

The only reason we are playing a 2nd D2 team is because FIU /Rutgers screwed us.  We have been playing a FIU/FAU team for several years now.

As for Western Kentucky... every year, we also play a sub-par team 2006 North Carolina (had a 3-9 record) 2007 North Carolina (4-9) 2008 NC State (6-7)

This is true for most teams... and also, most of these games were scheduled years in advance.. Before we were at this level.

It's almost a stupid argument to claim.. "If we play UCF we wouldn't have such a horrible schedule" or that we "are scared to play them."

I'm tired of all the people giving dumb *** claims about this... such as the ever stupid smazza.

No.. we beat them 4 years in a row.. done... over!  We moved on to bigger things ... Miami. 

We beat UCF 4 years in a row.. what did that get us?  Bragging to current UCF students and Alumni. THAT'S IT!

We start beating Miami consistently.. what does that give us? Status of the Big 4 (or possibly replacing Miami as the Big 3.) Recruiting, National exposure as the new "U"

Plus... imagine THAT rivalry.

If we would be playing UCF as some people want.

Wofford

Western Kentucky

Charleston Southern (still would have been screwed by FIU)

at Florida State

at Syracuse

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

Rutgers

Louisville

UCF

at Connecticut

I like having Miami up there instead.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

We didn't drop UCF to play Miami.

• Content Count:  444

Because the argument of playing against UCF has no relevancy in our current season situation.

What some people dont seem to understand is that we dropped UCF to play against Miami in a yearly game.

It had no implications AT ALL to the first 3 games we are playing this season.

The only reason we are playing a 2nd D2 team is because FIU /Rutgers screwed us.  We have been playing a FIU/FAU team for several years now.

As for Western Kentucky... every year, we also play a sub-par team 2006 North Carolina (had a 3-9 record) 2007 North Carolina (4-9) 2008 NC State (6-7)

This is true for most teams... and also, most of these games were scheduled years in advance.. Before we were at this level.

It's almost a stupid argument to claim.. "If we play UCF we wouldn't have such a horrible schedule" or that we "are scared to play them."

I'm tired of all the people giving dumb *** claims about this... such as the ever stupid smazza.

No.. we beat them 4 years in a row.. done... over!  We moved on to bigger things ... Miami. 

We beat UCF 4 years in a row.. what did that get us?  Bragging to current UCF students and Alumni. THAT'S IT!

We start beating Miami consistently.. what does that give us? Status of the Big 4 (or possibly replacing Miami as the Big 3.) Recruiting, National exposure as the new "U"

Plus... imagine THAT rivalry.

If we would be playing UCF as some people want.

Wofford

Western Kentucky

Charleston Southern (still would have been screwed by FIU)

at Florida State

at Syracuse

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

Rutgers

Louisville

UCF

at Connecticut

I like having Miami up there instead.

Yeah, I’m not talking about a series(Miami).  I wasn't directly implying anything about the first 3 games of this season.  My question isn’t specific to this season; if the scope of this thread was limited to this season, then I apologize for the tangent. 

I only referred to WKY because the poster I quoted used them as an example.  You can replace them with any other non-BCS opponent that USF would be willing to schedule and/or has on a future schedule and ask the same question:  Are games against other non-BCS schools any less of a “lose/lose†scenario than a game against UCF?  If so, why?

It was a question that I was hoping would prompt an answer that a conclusion could be drawn from.  Not really an argument(yet), I didn’t at all mean to tire you out.

Archived