• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Playing UCF

What do you want USF to do regarding football with UCF?   

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

I didn't vote since my option isn't shown=--

I am for the "take a break from playing them for a few years and revisit it at a later date"

Also-- odds are that somewhere along the way we might be playing them in some bowl game perhaps-- so this is not a major deal.

I am with those who say we have really NOTHING to gain by playing any more at this point. SO let it stew a while and maybe they will end up  being worth playing again.

also-- to any nitwits who claim Coach Leavitt is afraid to do anything-- get a clue. It isn't that we don't think we can play and beat their brains in, it's that the coaching staff and administration thinks UCF is a bag of **** institution. They beg USF of all teams to make us continue the "rivalry" then never win a single game. They give us crap after they ducked playing us in the early years because they were too "big time" being 1-A and all to bother giving us a game. So Leavitt et al hold a grudge against them. Now if anyone here can honestly say they have never held a grudge over something that you would do whatever it took to avoid even coming near someone else-- you are full of **** or a freaking saint

go ahead saint smazza-- tell us your holy revelations about how usf is just doing yet another thing wrong since you are so certain no one has a clue what they are doing over there and that USF has never done ANYTHING right (at least that you will ADMIT to).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, I probably differ from many on here.

I am okay with us playing UCF again, just not for the next 5 - 7 years.  Not sure when the timing will be good, but we need to achieve something before we do play again.  If we win the BE a couple of times, go to a couple of BCS Bowl games, win a bcs bowl game, and get into an annual top 25 ranking that we both start the season and end the season with - then it would be a good game.

UCF, given the market and the size of the school, has a potential to be a good team.  I don't think they will get there as long as they have George O, but that is just my opinion.  They need to lose him, pick up a decent coach that someone else gets rid of (maybe D'amato if he left, or someone of that caliber) and then build back up.  I think they are at least 5 - 10 years from those stars aligning.

FSU, UM, UF, even if we get better than them and maintain that, will never consider ourselves their equal.  They have about 10 NC's amongst them (maybe it is just 8).  They have years of BCS bowl wins.  Years of conference championships.  We will be the new guys to the game for the next 15 years, even if we get really good.  So I don't see a rivalry forming there.

As for the BE, the fricken teams are 800+ miles from here.  Hard to have a rivalry that is a 20 hour drive away.  Just saying.

So if I had to estimate, I think that in 7 or 8 seasons from now, it would make sense.  I'd like us to continue to maintain our lead and stay ahead of them.  I'd like the game to mean something (which in the past year or two, was a lose lose for us regardless of outcome).  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

as far as the rivalry needing to be a close drive nearby--- I have to disagree. Many long time rivalries exist that are separated by big miles. Notre Dame/USC comes to mind immediately.

I see us developing a rivlary with Louisville, WVU, and perhaps Rutgers so far-- because of the game we've played. We are starting to be that game other team's fans circle on the calendar as a key game worth traveling to (the sunshine doesn't hurt either) not to forget the base of fans many of them have already in town with the number of northerners who moved down here.

but we do agree that a break from UCF and their obnoxious fans is well deserved after running the four game gauntlet-- even during what most of them will tell you was their best season ever, despite getting their asses handed to them 64-12 during that one shining season in a sea of mediocre garbage

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Can anyone name a single BCS team who plays an annual game with a non BCS team, with the exception of the service academies & Notre Dame?   

• Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

usf is in a unique situation

7 conference games a ateam 90 miles  away and they compete in same market

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

My 2 cents is we should play a 1 and 1 every once in a while. It's fun every so often but nothing to build a rivalry over. I would think some wouldn't complain so much if the game replacing it was more interesting than Ball State or Western Kentucky. Something along the lines of Tulane (fun town), Southern Miss (old rivalry), Houston (big town, easy to travel to) or UNLV (Vegas, we should try to schedule this as often as possible, screw travel expenses, just bet it on black and pray).

everyone has to admit our first three games are crappy.  I will attend the home ones, but sad we have opponents who do not mean anything for us, but could hurt us if we 1 - lose, 2 - don't significantly outscore them (ie close game) or 3 - cause injuries to our key players. 

UCF is better and would be a funner opponent than any of the first three. 

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

They're also more likely to come unhinged and try to injure our guys. Screw 'em.

They're also more likely to come unhinged and try to injure our guys. Screw 'em.

agreed.

I'd like us to try some low hanging ACC or SEC teams, personally.  A wake forest.  Or Vandy.  That would be more fun and closer to home.  Though it wouldn't be a rivalry - just better than our OOC currently.

Archived