• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCarney to the Gaytors

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

True Joe, but we don't have that tradition to compensate.  For someone like UF, the recruit could care less who is sitting in front of them as they are only looking at the logo.  But when you have a USF logo next to a UF logo, you need to have alot more of an edge to even dream of winning that battle and you win those battles with RELATIONSHIPS.  You want to get that 5 star stud?  Have the same coach on him for years.  Not 4 different coaches for 4 different years. 

I understand your point, but we don't lose every single position coach every year.  It does suck, but for all intensive purposes we are a stepping stone job right now for assistants.  Does it suck, yes, but I'm not going to cry or lose sleep over it.  We'll adjust and be just as good.  Selvie probably has learned all he could from Mac, so he should be fine.  I feel bad for Bedford who committed possibly because of Mac and now he's gone.

Bedford is exactly who I was thinking about.  But with Selvie there, I think that negates that.  I was thinking of how we've seemed to lose a good recruiter IMMEDIATELY after their first year.  We can't even keep these guys two years it seems.  Gotta put something into these contracts so we can at least get something for them each time they leave to help pay the next one more.  Sort of like "mini buyouts".  So small that schools like UF wouldn't care about paying them, but enough that it would help supplement our next salary to get a better guy or keep a better guy and then up the next buyout etc.  That way, we let these schools raiding us actually build a stronger future foundation.  Right now, they're just raping us without consequence.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

True Joe, but we don't have that tradition to compensate.  For someone like UF, the recruit could care less who is sitting in front of them as they are only looking at the logo.  But when you have a USF logo next to a UF logo, you need to have alot more of an edge to even dream of winning that battle and you win those battles with RELATIONSHIPS.  You want to get that 5 star stud?  Have the same coach on him for years.  Not 4 different coaches for 4 different years. 

I understand your point, but we don't lose every single position coach every year.  It does suck, but for all intensive purposes we are a stepping stone job right now for assistants.  Does it suck, yes, but I'm not going to cry or lose sleep over it.  We'll adjust and be just as good.  Selvie probably has learned all he could from Mac, so he should be fine.  I feel bad for Bedford who committed possibly because of Mac and now he's gone.

Bedford is exactly who I was thinking about.  But with Selvie there, I think that negates that.  I was thinking of how we've seemed to lose a good recruiter IMMEDIATELY after their first year.  We can't even keep these guys two years it seems.  Gotta put something into these contracts so we can at least get something for them each time they leave to help pay the next one more.  Sort of like "mini buyouts".  So small that schools like UF wouldn't care about paying them, but enough that it would help supplement our next salary to get a better guy or keep a better guy and then up the next buyout etc.  That way, we let these schools raiding us actually build a stronger future foundation.  Right now, they're just raping us without consequence.

Now that idea I like. 

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

as usual Ruger, your post has delivered some thought provoking insight.

well said.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

When we got coach Mac, it was a steal. He was fired late, planning to take some time off, and CJL talked him into coming down and taking a low paying job in a position that was well below him.

I wich we could have kept him one more year, but I don't think any of us expected for him to be here long term. Those that are angry from a recruiting stand point, why? He is done recruiting, stayed to the end this year, and hasn't started recruiting for next year really. Sure, he takes the relationships with coaches with him, but you're kidding yourself if you think he has better relationships with those coaches than guys already on the UF staff.

He will be missed, but we'll be fine. As long as we have Leavitt, we are going to continue to get better. By the way, it's not a done deal yet, right? I mean, he could potentially be talked out of it. Who knows.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

With the big severance he got at Iowa State, I don't think money is the object as much as the status of the job.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

With the big severance he got at Iowa State, I don't think money is the object as much as the status of the job.

I think thats the whole reason behind it.  Very well could be that he was upset with the caliber of offers he got this off season and thinks being at UF could up his image and maybe get him some better head coaching shots.  Whatever hes doing its what he thinks is best for him so i can do nothing but wish him luck if he choses to go.  Hopefully CJL can talk him out of it.   

• Content Count:  5,241

HE did a lot for us in one year (someone coached Selvie to perform that well...probably the D-line coach named MCCARNEY)

I doubt he'll be at Florida for longer than a year or 2 before he gets a Head coaching role.

He's just climbing the college football ladder back to the top

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

"Neidermayer? Dead! ... Marmalard? Dead! ... McCarney? ...  fuggetaboutit...

"You're dead to me!"

TONY_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpg

• Content Count:  993

It sounds like some people aren't aware of how and why we got such a great coach to be a position coach for any amount of time.  He was onyl gonna be here for two years max and that was never a question.  We got an All-American out of it and im sure having a former head coach on staff helped all of our staff develop into better coaches.  We probably would have went after a long term solution at the DLine position if he hadn't been available, but you can't pass on someone who is as good a coach as Dan.  By going to UF he is just better positioning himself for the next leap.

• Content Count:  4,642

wow that really sucks.  i hope we dont lose any commits because of this.

Archived