• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCarney to the Gaytors

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

We all understood that he wasn't going to be here very long since he wanted to be a head coach again, but to lose him to UF when he isn't even getting a promotion just really stinks.  I wish him the best, and he will be the only person associated with that program I will ever say that about.

I would be willing to bet he gets a nice big raise

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We all understood that he wasn't going to be here very long since he wanted to be a head coach again, but to lose him to UF when he isn't even getting a promotion just really stinks.  I wish him the best

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

From Brett's Blog:

McCarney offered position, likely headed to UF

Posted February 08, 2008 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Feb 08, 2008 at 12:38 PM

University of South Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney has been offered a position with the University of Florida and an announcement on McCarney’s hiring at could come today, sources in Gainesville said Friday.

McCarney, who could not be reached for comment, came to USF after 12 seasons at Iowa State. Under McCarney, USF DE George Selvie earned All-American honors.

McCarney recently was offered the head coaching position at South Alabama, but turned it down. “I was honored to be considered and be involved with it,†McCarney told The Tribune last week. “[south Alabama AD] Joe Gottfried is one of the great administrators in college athletics.â€Â

McCarney also was one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Northern Illinois, but withdrew from consideration.

The Gators are losing co-defensive coordinator Greg Mattison, who is leaving after three seasons for a position with the Baltimore Ravens.

USF coach Jim Leavitt will now have two openings on his staff after cornerbacks coach Rich Rachel was reassigned to director of high school relations. 

Good grief....Is there any coaching job McCarney didn't apply for this off season?

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

This is what kills you when you are trying to recruit the studs.  They look at our staff and say, "Why should I come there, you guys lose major position coaches every single year." 

Plus we lose every bit of recruiting contact WE PAID FOR while he was here just to take those kids to UF.  And you can bet he was on some of our best for 2009 in his position.  This has me hacked off.  I don't mind losing a coach to take over another team, but for a lateral move and a paycheck, that really sucks balls.  Wish there was some way to counter that offer. 

I've got an idea, how about hiring someone who you know has a few years in them here?  Someone with a great personality, drive to be the best and has ties to Tampa.  Got any ex players who fit the bill who at least would have some semblance of a soul to stick around for awhile?  ****.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

This is what kills you when you are trying to recruit the studs.  They look at our staff and say, "Why should I come there, you guys lose major position coaches every single year." 

Plus we lose every bit of recruiting contact WE PAID FOR while he was here just to take those kids to UF.  And you can bet he was on some of our best for 2009 in his position.  This has me hacked off.  I don't mind losing a coach to take over another team, but for a lateral move and a paycheck, that really sucks balls.  Wish there was some way to counter that offer. 

I've got an idea, how about hiring someone who you know has a few years in them here?  Someone with a great personality, drive to be the best and has ties to Tampa.  Got any ex players who fit the bill who at least would have some semblance of a soul to stick around for awhile?  ****.

Every College loses position coaches every year.  Some more than others, but its the nature of the beast.  Some are forced out (Rachel), some look for greener pastures (Mac).  Look at UF, they lost Mattison.  It works both ways.

• Content Count:  2,523

True Joe, but we don't have that tradition to compensate.  For someone like UF, the recruit could care less who is sitting in front of them as they are only looking at the logo.  But when you have a USF logo next to a UF logo, you need to have alot more of an edge to even dream of winning that battle and you win those battles with RELATIONSHIPS.  You want to get that 5 star stud?  Have the same coach on him for years.  Not 4 different coaches for 4 different years. 

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

True Joe, but we don't have that tradition to compensate.  For someone like UF, the recruit could care less who is sitting in front of them as they are only looking at the logo.  But when you have a USF logo next to a UF logo, you need to have alot more of an edge to even dream of winning that battle and you win those battles with RELATIONSHIPS.  You want to get that 5 star stud?  Have the same coach on him for years.  Not 4 different coaches for 4 different years. 

I understand your point, but we don't lose every single position coach every year.  It does suck, but for all intensive purposes we are a stepping stone job right now for assistants.  Does it suck, yes, but I'm not going to cry or lose sleep over it.  We'll adjust and be just as good.  Selvie probably has learned all he could from Mac, so he should be fine.  I feel bad for Bedford who committed possibly because of Mac and now he's gone.

• Content Count:  4,879

hope he gets a head coach position asap.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

thanks for nothing, a**hole.

f*** that guy.

that d-bag used USF as a temporary stepping stone.

i hope that m****f***** is around when we **** the Gaytors in the swamp in a couple season.

Archived