• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fenelly: "USF Dropping The Ball If It Drops UCF"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  156

Some are asking "why do they write these articles?"

it's simple-- it gets people talking about them and their articles.

I don't really see any need to make a federal case about the scheduling of more games at this point-- we have this team on the schedule for 4 straight years. So we have some other stuff cooking that may (or may not) not be savory to the average fan (the WTF? factor)-- but even those "deals" aren't done. Why didn't they talk about the MSU and Indiana games being under consideration? Easy-- because that isn't controversial and it doesn't lend well to the spin factor involved with the "USF is stubbornly arrogant and won't continue the series" slant.

I'm not buying into it-- it's not an issue we need to worry about this season. It's up to Doug Woolard and I don't see why unofficial announcement proported by the media are suddenly the facts. Way too convenient to just spin this stuff anyway you want. That Fennelly wrote this is also a joke since I don't think he really gives two craps about USF in general. That suspended player BS only proves that point. Disgruntled media -- boo freakin' hoo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Pretty compelling arguments, Jim, but I've got a question. Do you think if they beat us several times in a row or 2 out of the next 3 years, would that have any weight in somebody's decision to invite them to a BCS conf down the road? ............ and does them getting into a BCS conf matter to you?

I don't think it matters either. And it doesn't matter to me really because I don't see it happening just yet.

It doens't matter if UCF looks aweful against good teams, as long as they are willing to spend money and develop their program, IF a spot in the BCS opens they'll be the hands down favorite.

The reason? TV market. Orlando is 19th in country and is the only college D-IA team located in the market (I don't forsee B-CC making the jump...ever) Unlike FAU or FIU where they have to compete with Miami, Orlando is untapped.

People have made arguments about Memphis, ECU, etc. However, The BE & ACC revamped their leagues using TV markets. ACC took BC over Cuse and Pitt for that reason; The Big East took Cincy, Louisville, and USF for TV markets...

IF (which will happen just not for awhile IMO) there is a BCS conference that expands UCF will be a top candidate, so long as they don't go the way of Temple (terribly ran and funded program in big TV market)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

What if - just saying this - the whole Western Kentucky, Buffalo thing is

nothing more than a subtle dig. Along the lines of saying, "well...we could

play UCF...or Buffalo or Western Kentucky" meaning that UCF is as

much of a quality opponent as Buffalo or Western Kentucky.  Given that we

don't seem to be chompin' at the bit to get a long term deal going, that would

be my conspiracytheory.com slant on it...

The reason I say that, aside from _EI and me kicking it around the office today,

is that I don't recall seeing anything in black-and-white from Fowler Avenue

saying that we are really, honest-to-god negotiating deals with the schools

alluded to in the article. Just sayin'...

Remember, sportsfans...there is a bit of a 'chain jerkin' contest between some

members of the football program and some members of the local media.  ;)

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,820
  • Days Won:  22

You hit the nail on the head. the Tribune is doing a great job at making the St Pete Times the newspaper of the USF Bulls.

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

The reason I say that, aside from _EI and me kicking it around the office today,

On another thread somewhere, Brett was saying that he had 5 or 6 pages at the office, or somewhere, with the info on it but couldn't get to them to scan until next week .....

On another thread somewhere, Brett was saying that he had 5 or 6 pages at the office, or somewhere, with the info on it but couldn't get to them to scan until next week .....

IF your a conspiracy theorist, one could say that just because it was on paper from USF to Brett doesn't mean that the negotiations are taking place.

Of course, Brett could very call the AD's at the other schools to confirm or deny this, so it would lead me to believe that USF has actually talked to these schools at some point.

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

IF your a conspiracy theorist, one could say that just because it was on paper from USF to Brett doesn't mean that the negotiations are taking place.

Of course, Brett could very call the AD's at the other schools to confirm or deny this, so it would lead me to believe that USF has actually talked to these schools at some point.

It's ludicrous enough to almost HAVE to be a joke. I mean, could you pick three more UNdeserving programs for a 1-1 with us than those??

*nervous laugh*

It's ludicrous enough to almost HAVE to be a joke. I mean, could you pick three more UNdeserving programs for a 1-1 with us than those??

*nervous laugh*

Eastern Washington, Prarie View A&M, and Columbia ;-)

But how would the Buffalo, Ball State, and WKU AD's react if they were called:

BM: "Hello, this is Brett McMurphy from the Tampa Tribune."

AD: "Hello."

BM: "I have here a list of future opponents for the University of South Florida in Tampa that lists your school. Can you confirm if you are talking with USF about a future home and home series?"

AD: "Ummm... no we are not."

BM: "Okay. Thank you."

The headline would be how USF faked it's future schedule...

As a rule, don't give anything 'fake' to the press that can be coutered by an independent source.  So the chances are that these teams are NOT a joke, that USF has talked with them about future dates. The only issue is if DW is using them as place holders:

Big Time AD: "Do you have openings in 2011 and 2012?"

DW: "Why yes I believe I do." [scratches out WKU in both years.]

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,820
  • Days Won:  22

and thats the whole point we have had talks with Miami and others im sure. Someone pointed out Illinois but who does he quote? Buffalo,Ball St and WKU. It was plain and simple a slam job.