• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College MBB Transfer Portal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,026
  • Days Won:  10

35 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I love this post from CAAR. Quite ballsy! And he is right!

And that is why I always say that each of us has a set of eyes; use them to do your own evaluation. Too many here defer to a coach's decision. And a year ago, many here also criticized the decision to bring in players from the ASUN and junior college. Instead of using your eyes, you just assumed that they were not talented players. They are talented players in all conferences. Things are quite different today than 30 years ago when you could see clear differences in the talent level between conferences. The landscape has changed.

I dont know, but doesn't it negate his point when last year we poached players away from other teams including half his Kennesaw State team.  I really hope behind the scenes we are playing the same poaching game that other schools are playing, and I am sure we are, but at the same time there is no need to complain about it unless you are not willing to engage in same behavior. And we have no choice but to, which means convince good players that play at lower tier teams to come to USF, whether they are currently in the portal or not.

And this is not a critique on Coach Rahim since I am impressed with him, but he has to be willing to play the portal game, and I am sure behind the scenes we are.

Edited by belgianbull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

I love this guy 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

Kennesaw State before and after losing CAAR and the 3 transfers:

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2466.jpeg

I wonder what USF would look like next season if we lost CAAR, our core 3 and maybe even Reid.

Edited by USFBulls12

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,007
  • Days Won:  469

As mentioned earlier, this would appear not to be coaches talking to our players in the portal, but Coaches talking to our players who have not chosen the portal.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

I dont know, but doesn't it negate his point when last year we poached players away from other teams including half his Kennesaw State team

It's not the same. From his tweet, he states that coaches are passing on players because of their poor evaluation. And now under a different coach in a lesser conference, they suddenly see what they were to ignorant to see because of their poor evaluation skills.

When CAAR took his players from KSU, they were his players that he evaluated and determined they were good to play for him.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

55 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

It's not the same. From his tweet, he states that coaches are passing on players because of their poor evaluation. And now under a different coach in a lesser conference, they suddenly see what they were to ignorant to see because of their poor evaluation skills.

When CAAR took his players from KSU, they were his players that he evaluated and determined they were good to play for him.

Good point.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I see what you are saying, but at the same time would that mean that if we offer a player now from a lesser conference that had a good year this year, and we didn't offer that player last year, that we didn't evaluate that player correctly? Or is it perhaps that when a player proves himself at a certain level that calls ups to the next level is just part of the new reality?

My point is that when we pick up players through the portal from teams in lower conferences than us, fans of those teams will say the same things about us. Losing players to the NIL sucks, but it cuts both ways, and when we sign good players from other teams ( example, Placer from North Florida) it sucks for those teams as well.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Losing players to the NIL sucks, but it cuts both ways, and when we sign good players from other teams ( example, Placer from North Florida) it sucks for those teams as well.

Supposedly Placer entered the portal because he wanted to play for CAAR. Placer played at least twice each year against CAAR and he torched them in a few games; so CAAR knew what he was getting. Not saying that CAAR would not do the same thing, but I noticed that some of the players that he has picked up were players that he recruited earlier in his career, like Pryor. I remember reading a story about him recruiting him out of high school but he chose Boise State, who pretty much didn't play him.

14 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Supposedly Placer entered the portal because he wanted to play for CAAR. Placer played at least twice each year against CAAR and he torched them in a few games; so CAAR knew what he was getting. Not saying that CAAR would not do the same thing, but I noticed that some of the players that he has picked up were players that he recruited earlier in his career, like Pryor. I remember reading a story about him recruiting him out of high school but he chose Boise State, who pretty much didn't play him.

Sure, no doubt Placer was a known commodity regarding as to what he was getting.

I guess in the end my point regarding the tweet or x, or whatever its called now, is that in this new NIL and transfer portal era both coaches and fans will have to develop a thick skin, and we will lose some and gain some. Coach Rahim will undoubtedly at some point recruit players from other schools that at some point were undervalued or not evaluated correctly, but were able to prove themselves at a lower level. And at that point coaches from those other schools will probably think or say the same thing about us.

While none of this is good for College basketball this is the new reality, and we need to be willing to play ball, and I am sure we will. 

Edited by belgianbull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

The "one-and-done" mentality has trickled over into the new NIL/portal universe.  What was once reality for only some of the elite programs now is true for everyone.   To paraphrase Jerry, we will have to root for whoever dons the slime.