• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Analytics is down on the Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  89
  • Days Won:  0

Lies, **** Lies, and Statistics.

How many World Series did Billy Beane and Moneyball win? Made a good story though.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

12 minutes ago, 84Bull said:

Lies, **** Lies, and Statistics.

How many World Series did Billy Beane and Moneyball win? Made a good story though.

Teams all around the league are using a form of "Moneyball" to compete and win each and every year

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Analytics has its place. 

We are a good team that still has flaws. It's rare to have a team that doesn't. They've been covered over by the fact that we win and we know what we're doing at the end of games. 

I think the biggest difference between this year and last year is that we know how to close games out. I'm sure, if you all recall, how many times we would be pulling our hair out with 10 minutes left in a game during the CBG era. USF is ahead or tied. It almost always ended up being a choke job. I feel like the only time we didn't choke was when the team felt like it had a clear goal on the line (i.e. beating UCF). 

These days we're not particularly concerned with 10 minutes on the clock-we'll either close this game out, or the opponent will suddenly become incapable of shooting due to excellent defense and the offense finds open gaps where they weren't before. 

Do keep in mind that for most the year we were still working our way up to beating teams ranked in the 100s and 200s in the net with ease. We're doing that NOW, for sure, but we weren't doing it in January. The team to its credit has consistently gotten 2-3% better every game, r we wouldn't be doing what we're doing now, but it takes work. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

There are clearly intangibles that analytics can't capture. There is no measure for leadership, cohesion, and camaraderie. The analytics try to explain it away in this model with a generic term "luck", but there is nothing lucky about the way USF has been playing and winning. I have a system with my own analytical rating and USF is #1 in the nation in the Youngblood Leadership Index. 

I'm not caught up in the numbers with this team because we can see what has been happening on the court. I just hope we win out, get a 10 seed, and shock the world on our way to the Elite 8!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Curious but since this is ranking Under Dog teams...wouldn't the conference leaders not rank well and they are looking for the under the radar conference team to make upsets.

I would agree FAU could be a dangerous team they have the experience and they returned most of the team.

The next step for this team is now to take on a Memphis and FAU for a game two.  We are for sure getting best shot from them.  Beat them again and this team really has a chance to go far. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

10 hours ago, olafberserker said:

My lord y'all are a pitiful bunch with low self esteem.   From what I understand, this model is nothing more of a predictor of NCAA tourney upsets and therefore "bracket busters".   It's not a **** ranking system that says we are the 5th best team in the conference or that we would lose to North Texas or whoever.  Simply looking at the statistics/metrics and predicting who has the best chance of busting brackets if they get into the dance.    From one article I kind of saw (I'm not a subscriber) it was doing pretty well back in 2021.   No idea how it has done since

But come one man.  Have a little self confidence and stop thinking everyone is out to get us

"Our model’s basic power ratings peg the Bulls as just the fifth-best team"

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

There are clearly intangibles that analytics can't capture. There is no measure for leadership, cohesion, and camaraderie.

Exactly

1 hour ago, ForestBull said:

"Our model’s basic power ratings peg the Bulls as just the fifth-best team"

Again, they are predicting who has the best chance of advancing and pulling off upsets if the get in based on measurable and metrics

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,334
  • Days Won:  10

In my Research Methods class at USF we were told "Statistics are alot like a bikini - they can be very revealing but usually hide that which you most want to see".😲

You can tell how long ago that was.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Is "analytics" the same people that try to use an NFL dataset to justify going for it on 4th down from your own 30 early in a college game?

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767
  • Days Won:  2

17 hours ago, LongTimeWatcher said:

Bulls are 26th in the nation in “luck” (

Yes, we got lucky in our losses. We are actually better than 23-5.