• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What should our name be?

What should our name be?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

A lot of folks on social media are taking notice of USF. However, the tired question regarding our location is coming up again. Some USF fans (e.g. Mr. Sherwin) recommends a change in the name. I personally like being USF (as I prefer the abbreviation to 'South Florida') and this name has been established. 

Do we rip the band-aid off and change the name now? Or stick with our short 70 year history name approved by the state of Florida? 

• Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

#1 - "South Florida"!!

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

South Florida or USF any other answer is wrong.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,334
  • Days Won:  10

41 minutes ago, Bear said:

A lot of folks on social media are taking notice of USF. However, the tired question regarding our location is coming up again. Some USF fans (e.g. Mr. Sherwin) recommends a change in the name. I personally like being USF (as I prefer the abbreviation to 'South Florida') and this name has been established. 

Do we rip the band-aid off and change the name now? Or stick with our short 70 year history name approved by the state of Florida? 

If it is due to the MBB team, then whoever is asking has seen "Tampa Bay" under each basket.  If they still are not sure, I don't think changing the university's name will help them much.  Just get them a UCF application.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  665
  • Days Won:  0

Gents we are in need of a new name. Let's be honest so I selected other as none of the above work.

Year after year I get asked why is it called USF? Isn't South Florida in Miami?

I'm tired of it.

The only real suggestion is to officially rename ourselves as THE University of South Florida. THE in ALL caps ALL the time. So we're now more of a thing than a place.

So naturally we're now TUSF when they abbreviate it, but we'll start another poll to clear that up and work out the kinks.

• Downvote 3
  • ???? 2
  • Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

If it is due to the MBB team, then whoever is asking has seen "Tampa Bay" under each basket.  If they still are not sure, I don't think changing the university's name will help them much.  Just get them a UCF application.

SMU had a Dallas styled alternate.  I believe FIU might do a Miami styled alternate.  

It'll always be South Florida for me.  I don't mind Tampa Bay alternates, but you can't change over 50 years of tradition.

I also appreciate that ESPN and other media partners are continually referring to us as South Florida over USF now. I assume that's a directive from the athletic department, maybe @John Lewis can confirm?  Helps avoid confusion between us and Oviedo (who conveniently seems to be focusing on the abbreviation over full name)

Edited by bull2saintleo
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,334
  • Days Won:  10

Like shooting a pesky mosquito with a shotgun.  Let them ask.  It gives me a chance to talk about my school.  This is an opportunity, not a hindrance.

Winning solves everything and there is no substitute for it.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,529
  • Days Won:  422

Don't change the name ... but love the embracing of the Tampa Bay area. Would prefer using the "South Florida" by TV more because it appears that at least there's once a game when they go to use "USF" and a turd comes out ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1