• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

150 Million Dollar Green "Bounce House" for the price of 300 Million??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I don't expect the true renderings (coming out in April) to look very much like these early designs. Maybe certain themes will remain the same?

Of course everyone is free to do what they want with what was released (including pick them apart, like in this thread), but I'm inclined to just wait and see what the more advanced April 2024 designs look like. Ultimately, whatever the nicest stadium we can get for the money is, I'll be happy with that. 

I welcome the discussion. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't discuss based upon what was released. But I trust the people in charge (including professional engineers) to know what they're doing and to have USF's best interests at heart. If they screw it up, there's not much I can do about it anyways. Highly unlikely it'll be worse than what C. Florida has.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

First off, I'm glad they are building it and would be okay with anything they put in.

Would be nice to get some clarity on what the "right" way is from their perspective.

31 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Looking at the renderings again, it could be the home and away sides that are reinforced concrete and the end zones are steel supported bleachers which could then be removed and replaced when capacity is increased.

Yeah it looks like the home side is concrete. Wonder if that has something to do with being attached to the TGH building?

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

This is interesting about Army and their stadium "preservation project" cost.  $170 million for renovation.  

WWW.WESTPOINT.EDU

United States Military Academy West Point

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

There's something else that's being ignored. 

UCF's bounce house was built 16 years ago. 

FAU's stadium was built 13 years ago. 

Costs were substantially lower than. Times change, and costs go up with time. If this stadium had been built in say, 2015 or 2016 I think $150-200 million is absolutely a realistic number. We're in 2023 now, not 2015 or 2016. Cost of labor has gone up. Cost of materials has gone up. 

Had USF moved forward with Bartow Malone to do the build, it likely would have cost more than the $340M currently budgeted for the project. Instead they're going with a construction manager at risk model to lower the costs and stay within budget, which is something everyone should be happy about. 

For the record, the stadium will cost $315 million. The $25 million coming from TGH funds the performance facility. 

We're actually doing just fine. We've raised $43 million privately, $7 million more to go. We've gotten $5 million more out of the broadband sales than we were expecting, that's another $30 million. CITF is pitching in another $31 million. Finally there's another $34 million coming from previous broadband and other sources. So we're at $138M already with $7 million in fundraising left to do. We could always get more. I wonder if there's any other sources for another big gift of $10-25 million. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

Maybe I missed something from the trustee meeting, or Michael Kelly's podcast, but where was it mentioned that the support beams are going to be steel?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

I’m not putting much weight on the renderings considering they were called conceptual and the design company that produced them (which presumably was having trouble delivering at cost) was just replaced. My cynical take is the renderings served as a convenient carrot they could dangle to over shadow the actual news: the 1 year delay. 

But in general, I’d expect USF to be getting the shaft in cost and quality considering we are building at the possibly worst time for construction in modern history. 

Edited by 00Bull

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

22 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

For the record, the stadium will cost $315 million. The $25 million coming from TGH funds the performance facility. 

I don't believe that is the case.

The IPF alone was approximately $22 million, so I believe it's safe to say that the operations building is going to run much higher than $25 million for all that will be going in that space.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

The renderings from this week were preliminary and stated as such.  April 2024 should provide a better idea of what the final design may look like.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

I’m not putting much weight on the renderings considering they were called conceptual and the design company that produced them (which presumably was having trouble delivering at cost) was just replaced. My cynical take is the renderings served as a convenient carrot they could dangle to over shadow the actual news: the 1 year delay. 

But in general, I’d expect USF to be getting the shaft in cost and quality considering we are building at the possibly worst time for construction in modern history. 

No, Populous is still involved.  they are the design phase.  Barton Mallow were the ones who were terminated.  Barton Mallow was essentially a contractor to manage the design and construction including Populous.  Now that Barton Mallow is not involved, the university will act as the point person, allowing Populous to handle design and a new bid for the construction phase is expected in the near future.

I know that whole situation from last week when Barton was terminated was confusing, but a friend explained it to me as USF wanted to have direct control and connection to design and construction, but with Barton there as a middle man it could make things challenging.