• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

150 Million Dollar Green "Bounce House" for the price of 300 Million??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Seems like a lot of posters on this website are spending 10-15-20 minutes writing posts bashing the renderings instead of the 30-40 minutes it would take to listen to the BOT meeting, where much of which was discussed and is contradictory to assumptions made from the renderings. 

"Be curious, not judgemental" - Walt Whitman (and reiterated in Ted Lasso during the darts scene)

Board of Trustees Meeting....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

54 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Maybe I missed something from the trustee meeting, or Michael Kelly's podcast, but where was it mentioned that the support beams are going to be steel?

It's conceptual steel.  In my mind.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  334

I expected to be similar to snapdragon Stadium.

IMG_6882.webp

IMG_6881.jpeg

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Days Won:  19

UCF's stadium, from the moment you leave the ground to climb the stairs, you are standing on aluminum. (their press box/suites/club is the exception. But for almost every seat in the stadium, your feet are on aluminum. 

They made a point to say we aren't building a bounce house, I think that means the aisles, the concourses, the seating bowl will not be mostly aluminum (not talking about the benches). Could there be some, sure (I don't know). 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397

1 minute ago, USF968 said:

IMG_6882.webp

IMG_6881.jpeg

If it had steeper end-zones for increased loudness, I would be all for this design.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

32 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Seems like a lot of posters on this website are spending 10-15-20 minutes writing posts bashing the renderings instead of the 30-40 minutes it would take to listen to the BOT meeting, where much of which was discussed and is contradictory to assumptions made from the renderings. 

"Be curious, not judgemental" - Walt Whitman (and reiterated in Ted Lasso during the darts scene)

I get it if you don't like the look and maybe want a more traditional college football looking stadium but to start just making up ****, solely based on a couple of preliminary pictures, is kinda ridiculous ......... especially with the detailed emphasis on comparing it to the Wok. Caption on one of the pics says it all, "UCF sues over defects to football stadium."

Edited by Triple B
  • Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

9 minutes ago, USF968 said:

IMG_6882.webp

IMG_6881.jpeg

I like the way it looks like they implemented their suites/club seating. Kinda like a hockey arena ...

13 minutes ago, USF968 said:

IMG_6882.webp

IMG_6881.jpeg

Hmm I think ours is cooler in this case.  Although I also like GTs mutant stadium.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

4 hours ago, bull2bull said:

Disclaimer: Have been Bulls Club football donor since 1995 (they were taking donations two years before football games actually started) and only want the best for USF.

UCF - 2007 - $73.9 Million 45K Seating

FAU - 2010 - $70 Million 30K Seating

USF - 2027 - $300 Million 35K Seating (assuming $40 million is being used for the TGH center for athletic excellence)

Only difference in the design and look between these (+FIU) that I can tell from our renderings, is that we are going to have some green and heard we may put a thin layer of concrete on the stands like FSU has done.

The thought all these years was that it would be best to do it right or don't do it at all and not put the same erector set steel beam structure that every high school stadium (along with FIU, FAU and UCF) in Florida has done for the last 30 years. 

Why was "no erector set steel support structure" not the first design rule given to Populous? (translation: no bounce house)

Exhibit A (FAU Stadium)

FAU.jpg.dfd9f0303e6e45504ba4e265c1ded980.jpg

You will notice that our rendering shows the same type of steel support beams going down into the middle of those buildings.

It is a horrible look for the $70 million that it costs FAU 13 years ago but it is inconceivable that we are doing the same for $300 million!  

image.png.f8e539063630c331a81e281c9448c070.png

Exhibit B: (UCF Stadium - "Bounce House")

Renderings revealed on Tuesday show the same design (steel beam support structure)

Expect to have similar corrosion issues over time.

image.png.ca80831eb887d4b9ae0368edf1a256ef.png

From the renderings shown:

Both North (blimp view) and South (practice field view) stands show steel support structure.

Fact 1: This is a bounce house and will feel unstable just like UCFs.

Fact 2: This will have corrosion problems just like UCFs 10 years down the road.

Fact 3: Reluctance of donors/corporations to give as much as they could when they see the renderings of something that should cost no more than $150-200 million actually cost $300 million.

Fact 4: Renderings show a stadium (even if you tripled the cost of FAU and UCF for inflation) that should not cost more than $200 million. Was the design to bury a $100 million worth of gold at midfield to come up with the $300 million total.

I have been in FIU, FAU and UCF stadiums enough times to know that we don't want that same thing.

Those of us going to the Boca Bowl in two weeks should take note walking into and under that Stadium of what we are going to get three years from now at four times the cost. Only hope is that our USF folks approving the stadium design come up with the same conclusion: "300 million for this, get populous on the phone".

Is this why contractor was fired?

Were the renderings correct?...pretty sure graphic designer would not replace concrete structure with steel support just to get drawings out.

Mike Weatherford said we don't want a Bounce House, we want something better.........well the renderings show a Bounce House, plain and simple.......very disappointing.....correct it before it is too late or we will have to keep putting lipstick on the pig for twenty years like UCF is doing now.

If you think the two stadiums are the same, no one can help you.

I do agree that I don't like FAUs stadium. This will be my 4th game there.  

Mainly I remember it looked kinda crappy, but also the rows of seats are so close that it hurt my knees contorting around trying to figure out how to get comfortable.  I guess I'll find out if it still bothers me. 

Edited by Rocky Style