• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grading our season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Grading a college football season is like grading an essay ....

I’m not taking umbrage with anyone’s grade or their criteria, I’m taking umbrage with the idea that an a is the only acceptable grade. If someone had us going 6-6 (perfectly reasonable)  it shouldn’t be unreasonable that they would give a c for meeting expectations (thats the definition of a c level performance to most).

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

11 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I’m not taking umbrage with anyone’s grade or their criteria, I’m taking umbrage with the idea that an a is the only acceptable grade. If someone had us going 6-6 (perfectly reasonable)  it shouldn’t be unreasonable that they would give a c for meeting expectations (thats the definition of a c level performance to most).

Dude 

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF
since the last time we this many wins in a single season. Heck we didn’t have this many wins in multiple seasons now. Chill off the we were #2, everybody gets 6 wins talk. There weren’t many people that expected, or thought realistically that we were going bowling this year. We were picked as the consensus last or next to last in the conference. Enjoy it. May not be much to you, but most of us are happy with the way this season played out.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Everyone who gave us a C or below understands that we were literary the worst team in college football?

Going bowling on year one merits a C?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

For any normal year here .500 should be the baseline. I'd give it a C...but I graded on a curve given how horrible we have been for 3+ years...this team only knew losing. 

So B for this year from me. 

2 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Dude 

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF
since the last time we this many wins in a single season. Heck we didn’t have this many wins in multiple seasons now. Chill off the we were #2, everybody gets 6 wins talk. There weren’t many people that expected, or thought realistically that we were going bowling this year. We were picked as the consensus last or next to last in the conference. Enjoy it. May not be much to you, but most of us are happy with the way this season played out.

Dude what does this have to do with anything? Several positive posters gave us a c, if your expectation was 1-2 wins I can see this being an a but if they expected 6-6 (which they stated) and we hit 6-6 how in the heck would that be an a in any grading scale? What if we won 8 games (which was completely possible) what grade were they required to give then?

3 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Everyone who gave us a C or below understands that we were literary the worst team in college football?

Going bowling on year one merits a C?

They are grading on the other extenuating circumstances that we had no business being the worst, we were coached by the worst coach, that our conference difficulty plummeted this season and most importantly that they went into this season with the expectation that 6-6 was a reasonable result. It may not match your criteria but it certainly isn’t unreasonable.

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Dude what does this have to do with anything? Several positive posters gave us a c, if your expectation was 1-2 wins I can see this being an a but if they expected 6-6 (which they stated) and we hit 6-6 how in the heck would that be an a in any grading scale? What if we won 8 games (which was completely possible) what grade were they required to give then?

8 wins A+
Even with the soft schedule I was only expecting 3 wins. We had growing pains, but turning around a down culture is very hard. The guys fought and didn’t give up, even when they normally would have. Just getting bowl eligible is solid B given where we were, at least for me. Next season we should start to get back to more normal expectations, but to me this is a curve year. And I’m grateful that we’re bowling!

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

They are grading on the other extenuating circumstances that we had no business being the worst, we were coached by the worst coach, that our conference difficulty plummeted this season and most importantly that they went into this season with the expectation that 6-6 was a reasonable result. It may not match your criteria but it certainly isn’t unreasonable.

The only teams that were closed to an automatic win were Rice and Charlotte. FAMU gave us a run for our money. FAU played us like we were their Super Bowl. UTSA was as good or better than most of the teams that we played last season. We dodged a couple bullets not playing SMU or Tulane. Navy and Temple were not gummy games, so we did well to earn our way to 6 wins.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

8 wins A+
Even with the soft schedule I was only expecting 3 wins. We had growing pains, but turning around a down culture is very hard. The guys fought and didn’t give up, even when they normally would have. Just getting bowl eligible is solid B given where we were, at least for me. Next season we should start to get back to more normal expectations, but to me this is a curve year. And I’m grateful that we’re bowling!

I am not arguing your grade shouldn’t “B” whatever you reason out especially with your 3-9 expectations, I am asking to appreciate that if someone went into the season thinking 6-6 was a reasonable expectation that meeting that and nothing else isn’t an a and isn’t a b it’s a c because that’s what you get when you meet expectations.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

Feels like a C- season in the grand scope of things but compared to where we’ve been, and grading on that curve, it’s an A+. It is two different scales.