• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Season is not over.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

What I don't understand is what happened to the defense.  We looked competent to down right decent the first few games.  The last two games receivers are running wide open all over the field and every play looks like complete confusion.  I don't know if we lost some people or what but we won't win another game if that doesn't change.  Another big change is we can't get to the quarterback again.  The defense, as a whole, is back to looking just like last year where I had zero hope we would ever get off the field.  It is that way again.  I am beginning to think the excessive blitzing is a huge problem.  Our DB's can't be isolated in the secondary like they are when we blitz.  Drop more people and keep things in front of us.  UAB and FAU had so many explosive plays over 20+ yards it was ridiculous.  Something has to change on D.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

29 minutes ago, OhioBull said:

What I don't understand is what happened to the defense.  We looked competent to down right decent the first few games.  The last two games receivers are running wide open all over the field and every play looks like complete confusion.  I don't know if we lost some people or what but we won't win another game if that doesn't change.  Another big change is we can't get to the quarterback again.  The defense, as a whole, is back to looking just like last year where I had zero hope we would ever get off the field.  It is that way again.  I am beginning to think the excessive blitzing is a huge problem.  Our DB's can't be isolated in the secondary like they are when we blitz.  Drop more people and keep things in front of us.  UAB and FAU had so many explosive plays over 20+ yards it was ridiculous.  Something has to change on D.

I saw a lot of missed assignments as well. LaJontey Webster should have been accounted for at all times and saw a few plays where none of the players knew where he was. These past 2 games have something to  do with the "mental" of the defense. They need to have some pride. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

Total regression on defense and unfortunately there are no adjustments to be had on offense apparently.  You run it up the middle into a pile.  Throw deep, then scramble around on 3rd and or 4th with no intermediate pass option.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

Its funny how a Charlie Strong 4-8 season felt so good compared to the Jeff Scott years. I was just hoping to get back to that. Maybe we are almost there. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

Getting beat by better teams is one thing. Being embarrassed by UAB & FAU is an unacceptable disgrace.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

Getting beat by better teams is one thing. Being embarrassed by UAB & FAU is an unacceptable disgrace.

At homecoming so we have maximum alumni coming back in town to have a good time.  🤣

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,900
  • Days Won:  33

19 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Its funny how a Charlie Strong 4-8 season felt so good compared to the Jeff Scott years. I was just hoping to get back to that. Maybe we are almost there. 

I do see your point.

However, I do remember that we WON a game in Coach Strong's last season to get to 4-4 and people were mad.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, flsportsfan83 said:

If you end the season losing 5-6 of the last 7 shows no signs of improvement. 

I agree. I rather would have seen a bad start followed by improvement throughout the season where you win 3 to 4 games later in the year,  and you then can take that positive momentum into the next season.

Losing 56-14 to FAU wiped all that early season positive momentum away. Today based on the last two weeks we are behind from where we were at the end of last year. . If this downward trend continues, even if we beat Charlotte, Golesh's first season in my opinion would be considered a failure. However, if this team can improve and beat U Conn, Temple, and Charlotte then year 1 might be a success,

Saturday against U Conn I need to see improved coaching and improved play, and a Win

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, OhioBull said:

No depth... They did a good job of covering up the issues for first four to five games. Now that there is more tape out there, coaches can pick and choose the deficiencies on both sides. Remember, a lot of these guys hardly ever played before. Especially, the transfers he pulled in.

Good news is we have a bye after this week. If anyone is banged up even a little, i wouldn't bother playing them vs Memphis. I don't think we beat uconn either way. 

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

If we win 3 of our first 5 and don't win any others then that is no bueno and have no reason for hope next year.

Yes, the good will was burned by the homecoming massacre of 2023.