• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Struck Gold With CAG! He didn’t just cry…

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

4 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

I believe that CAG will stick it out as long as we will have him. We can get a seat at the table. Eventually he will be in the position Gus found himself in at UCF. No real pressure from alumni/ fans, a chance to compete for a national title, a destination spot to live and recruit. 

He is leaving as soon as a viable opportunity presents itself don't fool yourself. 

USF is a stepping stone for years to come. Maybe one day it will not be, but that day is far far away. 

Keep winning coach Golesh.  

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,392
  • Days Won:  43

31 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

He is leaving as soon as a viable opportunity presents itself don't fool yourself. 

USF is a stepping stone for years to come. Maybe one day it will not be, but that day is far far away. 

Keep winning coach Golesh.  

That is just a reality and that is nothing to be ashamed of because many programs are stepping stones. What USF will need to do is get ahead of it by making sure they have a coach in waiting on the staff.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

4 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

That is just a reality and that is nothing to be ashamed of because many programs are stepping stones. What USF will need to do is get ahead of it by making sure they have a coach in waiting on the staff.

You don't need a coach in waiting.  You just need to make the right hire when the moment presents itself 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

You don't need a coach in waiting.  You just need to make the right hire when the moment presents itself 

Not really. USF failed trying to do that twice in their history. They failed to hire a replacement for Leavitt. And they failed when they tried to replace Taggart. Hopefully USF learned that lesson and will make sure they retain someone from CAG staff to keep the system flowing if CAG does get hired away. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

7 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Listen I think this is a good job but many of our fans think it's a destination job. It's not.

Most of these guys want to compete at the top.

Of course it would make more sense to stay here over a mid-level p4 job but if a top 25 job comes along I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

It’s a top 25 job if you make it one. 

The big thing that becomes hard to turn down is millions. You get USF to a playoff and you will have offers for 2-3x with buyout probably in the tens of millions. You have to really value things money can’t buy, like location, to stay put. 

And it’s not just the salary. It’s the whole budget, the facilities, the belief you’ll have better athletes and therefore it will be even easier to win (“Hey I did it recruiting SEC and Big10 rejects at G5U, so with better athletes I’ll be unstoppable!”).

The only type of coach who isn’t going to jump at more money to a more competitive conference is one who:

1). Isn’t coaching for money.

2). Isn’t coaching for ego and status.

Finding any human whose ambition is not driven by either of those things is going to be difficult. They exist, but they’re probably less than 1% of highly “successful” people because their measure of success is some other value and therefore they don’t find themselves in positions that are associated with high status or high compensation. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gismo said:

It’s a top 25 job if you make it one. 

The big thing that becomes hard to turn down is millions. You get USF to a playoff and you will have offers for 2-3x with buyout probably in the tens of millions. You have to really value things money can’t buy, like location, to stay put. 

And it’s not just the salary. It’s the whole budget, the facilities, the belief you’ll have better athletes and therefore it will be even easier to win (“Hey I did it recruiting SEC and Big10 rejects at G5U, so with better athletes I’ll be unstoppable!”).

The only type of coach who isn’t going to jump at more money to a more competitive conference is one who:

1). Isn’t coaching for money.

2). Isn’t coaching for ego and status.

Finding any human whose ambition is not driven by either of those things is going to be difficult. They exist, but they’re probably less than 1% of highly “successful” people because their measure of success is some other value and therefore they don’t find themselves in positions that are associated with high status or high compensation. 

The thing is that USF has so much opportunity to grow as a program. More so than many other programs. It is a destination job to many until huge programs like Oregon come calling which is no shame for USF at all.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

14 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

I believe that CAG will stick it out as long as we will have him. We can get a seat at the table. Eventually he will be in the position Gus found himself in at UCF. No real pressure from alumni/ fans, a chance to compete for a national title, a destination spot to live and recruit. 

let's see how little pressure he has at ucf when he has a losing record this year.

Gary Patterson was fired from tcu. he was there 20+ years and had won big time bowl games including the rose bowl and multiple conference championships.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

The thing is that USF has so much opportunity to grow as a program. More so than many other programs. It is a destination job to many until huge programs like Oregon come calling which is no shame for USF at all.

agree. no shame at all. we just need to have the structure in place to continue success if a coach gets hired away.

one suggestion- don't hire a washed up defensive dinosaur of a coach to replace a successful offensive minded young coach.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

18 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

agree. no shame at all. we just need to have the structure in place to continue success if a coach gets hired away.

one suggestion- don't hire a washed up defensive dinosaur of a coach to replace a successful offensive minded young coach.

image.png.0a9eba6de40ef37625783d1e6b1923c3.png

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

The way I see it, every coaching job is a stepping stone with the exception of a handful of schools (Notre Dame, OSU, Mich, USC, Texas, LSU and Alabama). If I were CAG and were ultra competitive and successful here; as long as USF were paying me very well (think 6-8 mil per year), had access to the CFP, and got moved to a P5, I wouldn’t move until I had an offer from one of those schools. Now, if USF was only willing to pay me 3-4 mil and the CFP went away and didn’t get USF into a P5, then I wouldn’t blame him for jumping to UF, Georgia, etc. I think as long as we can pay him in the range of what other schools will pay him and he can have the same success and exposure as P5’s (CFP), I can see him staying here. CAG seems super genuine and down to earth and that bodes well for loyalty as long as it’s reciprocated. I really like CAG and the potential is there. I  finally excited about our present and future!!