• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Struck Gold With CAG! He didn’t just cry…

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

8 minutes ago, michibull said:

The way I see it, every coaching job is a stepping stone with the exception of a handful of schools (Notre Dame, OSU, Mich, USC, Texas, LSU and Alabama). If I were CAG and were ultra competitive and successful here; as long as USF were paying me very well (think 6-8 mil per year), had access to the CFP, and got moved to a P5, I wouldn’t move until I had an offer from one of those schools. Now, if USF was only willing to pay me 3-4 mil and the CFP went away and didn’t get USF into a P5, then I wouldn’t blame him for jumping to UF, Georgia, etc. I think as long as we can pay him in the range of what other schools will pay him and he can have the same success and exposure as P5’s (CFP), I can see him staying here. CAG seems super genuine and down to earth and that bodes well for loyalty as long as it’s reciprocated. I really like CAG and the potential is there. I  finally excited about our present and future!!

Notre Dame's coach left for LSU

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

23 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

He's also a completely different personality.

I am not delusional, I don't think CAG will turn down a 300% raise to go and coach at a premier program, but I do think his personality is more in line with CJL than anyone we have had. From that, I mean that he seems to want to build a program. When he talks about process more than result, it gives a peek inside his thinking. I could see him staying for a while if he finds success. Who knows what his motivation is, but I'll use CWT as an example... When he left, it was apparent that UF, FSU, and Miami were struggling. He had Q coming back and almost a guarantee of another amazing season here. BUT, CWT is concerned with himself only and jumped at the money to go to Oregon. He ended up lucking into the FSU job anyway, but why Oregon? I don't think he had any ties there or any emotional reason to go, it was all about $$$. Flip to CAG and I think he will eventually leave if the right job comes along, but, I think he would wait for the right job, not just the next job. So, maybe he would like to coach at UF, I think he would make it a target and not take an Oklahoma State job necessarily if offered.

All that said, USF has to treat him right. None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. If he feels like VPMK, or the Pres, or the boosters, etc aren't giving him their full support, he may start to think hard about staying in a bad situation. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

So, maybe he would like to coach at UF,

Oh man I just barfed!

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

All that said, USF has to treat him right.

Yes!  We finally hired correctly.  Now must retain.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

15 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

That is just a reality and that is nothing to be ashamed of because many programs are stepping stones. What USF will need to do is get ahead of it by making sure they have a coach in waiting on the staff.

I agree 100%. It's early but Golesh's offense is very promising. Reminds me a lot of C. Florida's offense, which was very successful (I think I threw up a little in my mouth). 

Taggart was successful but it seemed to me (not trying to open up a can of worms here) his success had more to do with exceptionally talented players just doing their thing. So it was less important to keep Taggart's system when he left. But even the relatively little continuity we had, we lost, when Strong showed up and started talking about 'slowing the offense down a bit to benefit the defense.' Major red flags went up, and we were right to be worried, as it turned out. 

I think ideally, assuming Golesh turns this thing around as it appears he will, continuity in offensive philosophy will be very important. You can hire outside the building if there are no obvious internal candidates (don't know much about our titular OC), but if you do, you should hire someone who isn't going to tear everything apart. Why fix what isn't broken (setting aside ego)?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

So, we have a consensus that VPMK made a good hire!?!? 😂

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

9 minutes ago, michibull said:

It's looking good, but i'm going to throw the dice at least seven more times before making a definitive determination.

Indecision: Consternation or Constipation | The CEO Magazine Blog

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078

30 minutes ago, michibull said:

It's looking that way.  USF football is entertaining again.  At least a much much much better situation than the last regime.  Will evaluate at the end of the season, but USF football has been fun so far this year.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685

1 hour ago, michibull said:

I'm thinking yes. There's potential for a significant turnaround this year (which I define as anything better 6-6). One could legitimately ask whether the turnaround would be as significant if we weren't the beneficiaries of a weaker schedule, but I belong to the "you play who's in front of you" camp of CFB, and we played well against a far more talented team in 'Bama.

WKU was a winnable game even though it was our coach's first game (new to us and to head coaching) and new offensive and defensive schemes. 

I think this is evidence that there are indeed coaches out there that don't need a 3-year window to build a program before seeing success. Pick the right guy, and you can most certainly win right away, unless perhaps you have zero talent.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I'm thinking yes. There's potential for a significant turnaround this year (which I define as anything better 6-6). One could legitimately ask whether the turnaround would be as significant if we weren't the beneficiaries of a weaker schedule, but I belong to the "you play who's in front of you" camp of CFB, and we played well against a far more talented team in 'Bama.

WKU was a winnable game even though it was our coach's first game (new to us and to head coaching) and new offensive and defensive schemes. 

I think this is evidence that there are indeed coaches out there that don't need a 3-year window to build a program before seeing success. Pick the right guy, and you can most certainly win right away, unless perhaps you have zero talent.

I agree with this. with the portal it's much easier for good coaches to win right away.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

7 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Brian Kelly is a rat POS and terrible human. Can't count him.