• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

JeyQuan Smith - Looks like we need him to be a difference maker on Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

1 - You're assuming they are better players.

2 - You're assuming USF would have won with them.

3 - You're assuming a player who has yet to play a down in college will somehow be attractive in the transfer portal.

IF is not an assumption.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, jg233 said:

Smith and Kelly should both be playing.  They can't be worse than most of the guys we are throwing out there.  And when I say most, I mean everyone but Atkins.

Atkins is the only reliable WR out there this far. That position should be wide open. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,141
  • Days Won:  56

You’re not saving anyone at this point. The odds of having anyone on the team, healthy and playing for five years are slim to none in this day and age of college athletics.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

USF can't afford to redshirt anyone.   If they're ready to play and they will help us win...play them.  End of story.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

14 hours ago, BDYZR said:

If he’s held out better players, that may have won a game, HOPING they’ll be here next year? Probably the dumbest decision he could make.

I don't think it's that at all. I think the biggest part is likely that they're true freshmen and haven't yet grasped the offense. The offense puts a huge onus on the receivers and QBs being on the same page and reading the D the same way. I don't think Goach is the type to hold guys back for the sake of maybe having them available for an extra season.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

4 hours ago, GoBulls84 said:

I don't think it's that at all. I think the biggest part is likely that they're true freshmen and haven't yet grasped the offense. The offense puts a huge onus on the receivers and QBs being on the same page and reading the D the same way. I don't think Goach is the type to hold guys back for the sake of maybe having them available for an extra season.

This is why you create a limited package of plays for talented/athletic freshmen that play to their strengths early on in the season. Then, as time passes, you incorporate them into the offense more and more if they earn it. I really get the sense that CAG's focus is on getting the basics of his offense in place. To me, it appears that he is doing this at the expense of placing some of our guys on offense in the best position to win. Where is a rollout pass for BB? Where is a halfback wheel? Where is a jet sweep? So far, the only real creativity I have observed was the Atkins WR pass. I hope this changes as we enter conference play. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

15 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

This is why you create a limited package of plays for talented/athletic freshmen that play to their strengths early on in the season. Then, as time passes, you incorporate them into the offense more and more if they earn it. I really get the sense that CAG's focus is on getting the basics of his offense in place. To me, it appears that he is doing this at the expense of placing some of our guys on offense in the best position to win. Where is a rollout pass for BB? Where is a halfback wheel? Where is a jet sweep? So far, the only real creativity I have observed was the Atkins WR pass. I hope this changes as we enter conference play. 

Never watched TN.  Did they have that stuff in their playbook?  If so, you are probably right and we'll add things as we go.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

11 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Never watched TN.  Did they have that stuff in their playbook?  If so, you are probably right and we'll add things as we go.

From what I saw and read, they had a few interesting wrinkles, but they also had solid o-line play and a starting QB that completed 70% of his passes. They also had WR that could beat man-to-man coverage. At some point, we need to adjust the offense somewhat to fit what limited skillsets we have. 

• Upvote 1