• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

would you rather have had usf accepted in a power 5 or AAU?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 6/4/2023 at 7:08 AM, Friscobull said:

Power 5, didn’t even know what AAU meant(besides amateur sports) until a few years ago. Considering this is a sports thread your results would be biased if we didn’t have so many people that aren’t afraid to stretch the truth.

im wth you

i love your honesty and outlaw's honesty

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 6/4/2023 at 2:14 PM, Ghostbuster said:

No brainier, P5.

AAU would have been there eventually.  They're not inviting based on who ESPN tells them to take. 

Contrast that with the P5, where the musical chairs have pretty much been taken away at this point and we're SOL (nothing within our control).

There's a 300+ million dollar gamble being played by the university that says not only can we quickly win enough to be attractive to a P5, but that a conference will have an opening for us.  And I would not want to be on the losing side of that bet, making interest payments with AAC revenue.

you cant blame espn for usf not being in a p5

we stink

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, smazza said:

you cant blame espn for usf not being in a p5

we stink

Not what I was saying.  ESPN has supposedly been a big driving force helping conferences pick which team is more desirable.

So I was saying it's harder to convince a conference and ESPN to promote us (now) than it is to convince the AAU to accept us.  To be clear, I'm not saying the AAU is less work to get, but I am saying there are more reasons for a conference to deny us a spot and there are no quantifiable metrics for us to achieve that automatically qualify us for any P5.

Let's say we turn things around the next 5 years and are conf champs 3/5 years (in football).  Would that qualify us for the SEC?  Would going undefeated in the new AAC for 'X' number of years *ever* matter to the SEC?  Probably not...

My point is the P5 has finite spots, and even if you accomplish great (fleeting) results in athletics, there are lots of reasons for you to be denied.

The AAU, unlike the SEC, doesn't care if it already has Florida.  There are no limits to the number of seats because you don't start taking money away from the others once you join.  (Technically there are incentives for AAU to stand still, but with sports the TV contract *is* the lifeline; whereas AAU grants you access to more funding and grants, but it is not the sole source)

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,061
  • Days Won:  38

4 hours ago, smazza said:

you cant blame espn for usf

What about the Big East collapse shenanigans?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  603
  • Content Count:  16,390
  • Days Won:  43

28 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

What about the Big East collapse shenanigans?

Exactly lol. Basically big east had a tons of members going in all different directions lol. Glad USF is out of that mess. I’m pretty sure history will repeat itself for the big 12. Stay tuned 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

38 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Exactly lol. Basically big east had a tons of members going in all different directions lol. Glad USF is out of that mess. I’m pretty sure history will repeat itself for the big 12. Stay tuned 

That's ... not what he's getting at. ESPN was the driving force behind the Big East falling apart. The Big East turned down a big money deal from ESPN because they were set to potentially get more on the open market. So ESPN pushed the ACC to invite Big East schools to devalue the conference.

BC's AD literally came out and said they were just doing what ESPN told them to do.

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

10 hours ago, 00Bull said:

I have a degree as well and would love nothing more than to reap some sweet benefit but I’m not holding my breath. In my 2 decades of work in corporate America, the words “AAU membership” have never been spoken, nor does anyone ask or actually care about collegiate schooling. Actually, now that we are discussing it, I can think of very few examples of college/alumni talk in the office being about anything other than sports. 

And what sweet benefit would you, as a fan, reap just by getting a P5 invite?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

And what sweet benefit would you, as a fan, reap just by getting a P5 invite?

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

:rolleyes: ..... I thought it was pretty self explanatory. I guess i was wrong ....... maybe the word "benefit' is a sticking point?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

:rolleyes: ..... I thought it was pretty self explanatory. I guess i was wrong ....... maybe the word "benefit' is a sticking point?

I would think that improved competition/match ups and better television options would qualify as benefits to the average fan? But maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. 

• Upvote 1