• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

would you rather have had usf accepted in a power 5 or AAU?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

35 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Which brings more excitement for the local community , USF fans, USF students, and USF alumni beating top programs in college football or being an AAU membeR? Maybe we can hang an AAU member banner in the IPF with all of the wins we have been racking up under AD MK in football and basketball.

Which brings more money into athletics. Which does nothing for the University as a whole, just more money for athletics. 

AAU brings more applicants with a higher academic profile. P5 and its money brings more applicants who like athletics.

Neither is wrong, they just do different things.

I could be totally wrong. In 3-5 years, let's revisit how much UCF's academic ranking has risen as a result of their Big 12 situation. If they rise in the rankings, I'll happily admit I was wrong and P5 helps the University as a whole. Feel free to pin this and hold me accountable.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, 00Bull said:

I feel like I’m in bizarro world reading some of these responses. How can half of the folks on this athletics forum think an AAU membership is better than being football relevant again? 

How “football relevant” is Wake Forest? 

Just now, Triple B said:

How “football relevant” is Wake Forest? 

And how much has being P5 helped Wake's academics? I'd argue it has helped Wake's athletics immensely. Doubt it has done much else. Their baseball team is reaping the benefits of P5 and the money for facilities, budget, etc. It probably makes the community happy. Alumni likely love it. Academics are still chugging along like they always have.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,392
  • Days Won:  43

14 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Which brings more money into athletics. Which does nothing for the University as a whole, just more money for athletics. 

AAU brings more applicants with a higher academic profile. P5 and its money brings more applicants who like athletics.

Neither is wrong, they just do different things.

I could be totally wrong. In 3-5 years, let's revisit how much UCF's academic ranking has risen as a result of their Big 12 situation. If they rise in the rankings, I'll happily admit I was wrong and P5 helps the University as a whole. Feel free to pin this and hold me accountable.

I do believe you are right 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,392
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And how much has being P5 helped Wake's academics? I'd argue it has helped Wake's athletics immensely. Doubt it has done much else. Their baseball team is reaping the benefits of P5 and the money for facilities, budget, etc. It probably makes the community happy. Alumni likely love it. Academics are still chugging along like they always have.

Exactly!! I’m surprised people are still worshiping the P5. Newsflash is there probably won’t be a P5 within the next ten years. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, 00Bull said:

How can half of the folks on this athletics forum think an AAU membership is better than being football relevant again? 

Starvation has a strange effect on how people think and behave. As great - and it is indeed great, just to be clear - AAU membership is, how long before discussion of such fades from the board as we amp up for football and hoops? Our game of "would you rather" has a very short shelf life. 

Just now, Bull Matrix said:

Exactly!! I’m surprised people are still worshiping the P5. Newsflash is there probably won’t be a P5 within the next ten years. 

Look at the number of P5 schools who have been P5 or the equivalent for a decade. How many of them have reached AAU status? Hundreds of millions of dollars and the academic side hasn't budged. I'm not saying P5 is bad, I'm just saying it only helps one side. And again... that's not wrong or bad. Just see it for what it is.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Look at the number of P5 schools who have been P5 or the equivalent for a decade. How many of them have reached AAU status? Hundreds of millions of dollars and the academic side hasn't budged. I'm not saying P5 is bad, I'm just saying it only helps one side. And again... that's not wrong or bad. Just see it for what it is.

P5 definitely has its advantages for the school’s athletics but it doesn’t miraculously grant football relevancy, whatever that really means ….. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Starvation has a strange effect on how people think and behave. As great - and it is indeed great, just to be clear - AAU membership is, how long before discussion of such fades from the board as we amp up for football and hoops? Our game of "would you rather" has a very short shelf life. 

Wow that actually is truly bizarre. No lie, I literally had a remark about usf fans being at the delusional stage of fan starvation in my original comment but ended up editing it out prior to posting. Needless to say, I agree.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Because some have degrees so there is a recognition of both aspects.

I have a degree as well and would love nothing more than to reap some sweet benefit but I’m not holding my breath. In my 2 decades of work in corporate America, the words “AAU membership” have never been spoken, nor does anyone ask or actually care about collegiate schooling. Actually, now that we are discussing it, I can think of very few examples of college/alumni talk in the office being about anything other than sports. 

• Upvote 2