• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best article I've seen on USF NIL numbers

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,683
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

Anyone know if Fowler Ave is for profit or non-profit?

Just a guess that it is NOT a non profit.  Believe I was told that before making my donation  payment to them.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

20 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Just a guess that it is NOT a non profit.  Believe I was told that before making my donation  payment to them.

thats probably a good thing then. from what i've read the NIL's that are in tricky situations are the ones who have been claiming they are non profits and donations can be written off on taxes

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I can't get on board with the collective. Feel like I'd be throwing away money... and I wouldn't care if it was the #1 recruit in the nation. I want to win... but not willing to pay players that lack loyalty. Just my personal feelings. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

22 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

I can't get on board with the collective. Feel like I'd be throwing away money... and I wouldn't care if it was the #1 recruit in the nation. I want to win... but not willing to pay players that lack loyalty. Just my personal feelings. 

If that's the case directing dollars to the Bulls Club makes way more sense. It goes to USF, who in turn provides a great student athlete experience and facilities. And oh by the way that's a non-profit and tax deductible.

The NIL is private and not tax-deductible. I give just enough to NIL to help out but not enough to where if a player didn't pan out I would feel bad. Remember, the NIL can go to ALL student athletes, so that case would be a one-off. There are hundreds of loyal USF Bulls who want to wear the green and gold and to dominate and will be grateful for our support. 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, The Sheriff said:

Actually personally if I knew that my NIL donation went to particular recruit, and that recruit was then forced to play his entire career at USF, or not get paid; I would be all in in donating to the NIL. Now where you don't really know where or to whom the money is going, and where there is no long term contract involved between payer and  player, I am still apprehensive.

If you told me tomorrow about an effort to raise  NIL money to pay Brown, and if Brown is paid a certain amount, Brown will contractually be obligated to play at USF for his entire college career; or lets say for a period of at least 2 more seasons I would take out my wallet right away and donate.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  842
  • Days Won:  1

The NIL deals should be structured in such a way to enforce long-term commitments to the team/university. None of these deals are "$100,000 up front, no commitment", that would be suicide. Chunk up front, chunk for suiting up minimum # of games, chuck for redshirting, chunk for year #2, chunk for social media posts, etc. I just hope it never comes out that we "oversold" our NIL commitments, and 2-3 years from now we have balloon payments that we can't cover. I expect Colorado boosters are concerned of that right now. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Well, when I looked at Florida's rules last year, it was clear it doesn't work that way.  Of course people will bastardize it until action is forced by some ruling body.  The NIL has to have a quid pro quo.  You're paying for his name, image, or likeness or whatever it has been stretched in to today - paid interviews, camps, meet and greets etc. - things they previously did on behalf of the school/team.  It can't be tied to # of games or a commitment to stay.  Again, the rules/laws around this are a mess and probably have changed.  The player has to provide something and the NIL is in return for it.  You can't just drop money on them to stay. And as far as commitments to stay - never is my guess.  The lawyers want free agency, they'll win with that.  Why would anyone want to hold back a poor student athlete when there is money to be paid off of them?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,683
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, belgianbull said:

Actually personally if I knew that my NIL donation went to particular recruit

I believe the best you can do is to call and talk to the guy running Fowler Ave and ask that your money goes to a particular sport. If not, most likely will go to football or MBB.  I made it clear that I wanted it to go to WBB and I let Jose know to look for it.  Haven't heard anything since I gave so just assuming that it will go to a WBB player.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

12 hours ago, belgianbull said:

Actually personally if I knew that my NIL donation went to particular recruit, and that recruit was then forced to play his entire career at USF, or not get paid; I would be all in in donating to the NIL. Now where you don't really know where or to whom the money is going, and where there is no long term contract involved between payer and  player, I am still apprehensive.

If you told me tomorrow about an effort to raise  NIL money to pay Brown, and if Brown is paid a certain amount, Brown will contractually be obligated to play at USF for his entire college career; or lets say for a period of at least 2 more seasons I would take out my wallet right away and donate.

That makes more sense to me. If you leave a service academy in the middle of day one of your third year, you're screwed and have to repay the US government for the expenses your education placed on the US taxpayer. If you leave prior to the first day of your third year, you've essentially received two years of an excellent education for free. There should be a similar stipulation the minute NIL money is forked over to an individual. Just my humble opinion.