• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

All white coaching staff

sloan1919

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I understand all too well what the original post was talking about. I'm sure once some of you step back and stop being intentionally obtuse, you can see the optics that inspired the original post.

Going from hypothetically getting Deion to Golesh is jarring for many reasons, percieved ethnicity included. 

CAG talked about having specific people in mind to hire if/when he got his first job. If he picks people he felt closely aligned with that ran in his coaching circle, it's not a far stretch to see how his circle could potentially lack black and brown coaches. 

Ethnicity matters to those impacted by it. America literally legislated and enforce whiteness. Every aspect of life has been impacted by that, sports included. You can't simply update the laws and ignore the inequities created by the original moral shortcomings. 

We as a collective, need to get out of the habit of attempting to shout down voices that share an opinion that differs from our own. Your perspective is your reality, just as my perspective is my reality. 

I can tell you that my perspective/experience as a black man graduating from our PWI most likely differs from your own. It's jarring being 'the only' anything. Whether that's in a place of power, on staff,  in a place of worship, or in a class room. It is really awkward.

Then mix that with trying to explain to good natured people, who harbored no ill will, that they say and do things that are troubling, only to be told that you are creating a problem that wouldn't exist if you just would be quite and compliant... Always remember that your truth isn't THE truth. 

The original poster may have pinched a nerve, but they're not simply trying to provoke some of you. Looking at the history of the sport when it comes to race relations would really help some of you start to shift your perspective. 

Side note: It's not lost on me how quickly this thread started to resemble a Facebook or Twitter comment section discussing the little mermaid... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with most of what you said... I just feel the op pulled out the race card prematurely. The final staff isn't even assembled, so let's all pump the brakes before making accusations about the coaching staff and its whiteness.

And to play devil's advocate and echo what others have said: let's say we hire Deion and most of the staff was black, this thread or one like it wouldn't exist. Which brings up the issue of reverse discrimination towards a predominantly white coaching staff. 

I don't care if the coaching staff is made up of unicorns and elves, just win for the love of God! Go Bulls! 

Edited by Bull Nut

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, sloan1919 said:

It wouldn’t be the best person for the job if parents won’t send their kids. In your mind you clearly see it as “disqualifying people”, in mine I question if black people were even considered. Additionally, how is he going to handle the same exact situation with the students. 

It's all about the best coach to help your child grow, black white yellow green ect. If a parent doesn't feel that way then they are ****** parents

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953

16 minutes ago, Bull Nut said:

I agree with most of what you said... I just feel the op pulled out the race card prematurely. The final staff isn't even assembled, so let's all pump the brakes before making accusations about the coaching staff and its whiteness.

And to play devil's advocate and echo what others have said: let's say we hire Deion and most of the staff was black, this thread or one like it wouldn't exist. Which brings up the issue of reverse discrimination towards a predominantly white coaching staff. 

I agree with your first point. My push back on your second point is two fold.

First, If the staff were ALL black  we'd have Wakanda-level media attention, and this thread most definitely would exist.  Deion being a media magnet, mixed with the HBCU -> PWI conversation. If he then went and employed the best and brightest all Black coaching staff.  Oh good lord this place and the internet would get into a frenzy. Mix that with winning or heaven forbid losing and BOOM.

Secondly, historical context can't be ignored here.  We know that whiteness being written into law shaped our country and has had a lasting impact on every aspect of our everyday life.

Assuming we agree with that premise, racial discrimination doesn't carry the same weight in reverse because of the historical baggage that comes with it. We come off as disingenuous when we ignore the impact of legislated segregation. 

Furthermore, affording opportunities that would normally go to groups in power by default, to overly qualified but previously disenfranchised groups, isn't discrimination, it's restorative practice. 

So to haphazardly say "If we did this in reverse the world would be in an uproar..." is disconcerting, because the only way you can come to that conclusion is to ignore all context. 

*my apologies if my logic train is off the tracks right now. I'm exhausted but can't sleep.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  198

1 hour ago, Bull Nut said:

I don't care if the coaching staff is made up of unicorns and elves, just win for the love of God! Go Bulls! 

First off, nobody pulled any race cards. I simply pointed out a fact that literally you and most of the commenters couldn’t handle. All Alex G’s coaches have been white up to the date of this post. He named 6 key coaching spots and every single one is a white male. There is 1 non-position coach left and both OL and DL is filled. I’m not saying that he won’t add more POC at some point but it hasn’t happened and key roles are getting filled.

Regarding your point about waiting until the damage is done to say something. IMO that is dumb. Awareness should be raised while there is still something that can be done. Maybe an email to MK or AG is warranted before we continue down the road we are on. 

Your hypothetical is BS. I would prefer that my kids go to a school with diversity instead of one with just people that look like me. You, and several others in this thread, have been trying to twist my POV using ridiculous hyperbole and hypotheticals because you don’t seem to have anything intelligent to add to the conversation about the point I made. Alex has to walk into black, brown, and white homes with a team composed of all white dudes and try to convince the parents he is going to take good care of their kids. Most kids aren’t making the league so it isn’t all about football like many of the people here seem to think. They have no idea of the commitment that is made to the parents and what that expectation looks like. It has very little to do with winning when your kid isn’t a high stared recruit with league or nothing aspirations.

I want him to succeed but I don’t think he is going to win many hearts and minds of people showing up with a team that looks like a boardroom from the 1970s.

7 hours ago, MSBulls said:

Time will tell how it plays out. By your measure, Scott's staff had exactly what you're looking for and look how much of a disaster their recruiting and developing was. Not worth wasting time baiting with a post like this in my opinion. You're literally implying this staff can't coach, recruit and manage student athletes because there's not enough diversity on staff for you. 

We'll see how Golesh and this staff do, and hope for the best. If this is the best staff we could assemble then let's get behind and support. If it isn't, then that's an issue for MK and Golesh to fix. Only time will tell.

This post is BS. You equating diversity with incompetence. They are not linked in anyway. 

1 hour ago, goingbackbull said:

It's all about the best coach to help your child grow, black white yellow green ect. If a parent doesn't feel that way then they are ****** parents

They aren’t just football players. They are kids that are there to learn how to be men. Football is just the setting. What impact do you think it has on POC when they look up at leadership and none of them look like them. What do you think that does for their self-confidence and future aspirations? 

As a black parent, why would I believe this is the best place for my kid if black coaches aren’t employed? Who cares what he says, look at what he does and who he hires. If you ever play sports you’ll know that the coach is like your away dad while you’re on campus. If the coach is already showing bias for being around white coaches, why wouldn’t I think he has the same bias for mentoring white kids?

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

You're plenty clear. We're hiring 3 black coaches, making us 33% black. But, since they aren't officially coaches, you're mad today and we should be, too. Also, if we were better at football, diversity doesn't matter.

Also, saying black kids only want to go to better schools "from a football perspective" is pretty racist.

Maybe this will be the case. Just hasn’t happened yet. It isn’t just about the #s the roles should be considered as well.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660

Deion’s coaches at HBCU JSU were not all black so I doubt that will be the case at Colorado and wouldn’t have been at USF either. 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

10 hours ago, sloan1919 said:

Am I the only one seeing the trend? So far, it’s all white guys. If this is the coaching staff he is assembling, how is he going to convince black parents to send him their kids? IMO this doesn’t appear to be an inclusive coaching staff especially since he is planning on leading a team full of black players.

ED0645C3-BA9F-4DBE-B799-A26F24B98D0D.jpeg

66FAAC26-1842-472D-AF79-C814C26FF489.jpeg

25D00601-8092-49D1-803D-E3F77C1E08AC.jpeg

C31EF6A7-D289-4B66-A283-C4E3813BC491.jpeg

0673CB15-5B3F-477B-AF5A-F4606344527C.jpeg

F460334C-28DF-4EC4-9D68-4D5B61FA70DD.jpeg

dave chappelle jokes GIF