• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

All white coaching staff

sloan1919

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  602
  • Content Count:  16,378
  • Days Won:  43

Where is the love for the all Mutt coaching staff?? God is good. The world is a beautiful melting pot. God is in control. Those that don’t believe I pray that one day you find God to get you through to the finish line. God bless all you. Green & Gold United! 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

One of the new coaches was a GA and another was an associate SC coach.  It is difficult to believe that the best qualified coaches are being hired.

As a long term STH I am rooting for the success of our program.  However, representation matters, especially to young adults.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,368
  • Days Won:  10

I spent seven years investigating EEOC complaints.  Discrimination is real.  I am disabled and have been courted for two different jobs only to have the offers rescinded when they saw my cane.  There were many racial discrimination charges that I investigated that panned out to be true and they were zero tolerance infractions.

But call me crazy, but we always waited until someone did something wrong before charging them.  Looking like one MIGHT do something wrong didn't bring official action or warning.  You jumped the gun.

Your sensibilities are yours and, in a general sense, they are not misplaced.  In this instance you pointed out what someone MIGHT be doing and it alarmed you.  It didn't alarm us because the selections are not over, not because we are any less sensitive than you.  When you cry "WOLF!" prematurely, you do a disservice to those truly experiencing discrimination.

What I think happened is you made an "Inside words" observation and took it outside where you are guessing about a brand new coaches intentions and cautioning us.  That is not fair to a brand new coach and we really don't want to start his career here with as yet unfounded concerns.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, sloan1919 said:

Maybe not say anything but they would be thinking it. If Deion had an all black staff everyone here (including me) would be giving him the side eye. There are white players too. I bet their parents would notice.

Why would it matter either way? They are people. We want the best coaches. Not everybody looks at it and is like let’s make sure we have some of every race. I mean I get you do but that’s part of the problem. We are trying to hire people in the name of diversity rather than hire people based on what is best for that organization. And yes I am sure there are many African-American coaches who are great for this organization as well be on our coaching staff. This is a foregone conclusion. And to suggest otherwise it is idiotic.  We just want the best coaches. And I really don’t care what their skin color is. If they can coach they can coach

• Topic Count:  4,746
  • Content Count:  37,633
  • Days Won:  29

Diversity?

Should we have more Asian, European in the NBA?

Should we have more White Running Backs?

Race doesn't matter in coaching or playing?

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

9 hours ago, sloan1919 said:

You are missing my point and making another. I never said anything about racism just that having an all white staff may make it difficult to recruit POC. Think of it another way, if you were a black student getting recruited by an organization. One org has people that look like you in leadership roles, the other does not. Assume all else is equal which are you going to want to work for? Not that you want to work for people that look like you, just that you may think (right or wrong) that the one that is all white won’t promote you.

Again I disagree. If I went to a school with an all black coaching staff I would not think twice about it. I don’t look at it that way. I’ll be like awesome I hope these guys make me better and can help me win. I would never once look at it and go I’m not going there because there’s not a white guy on the coaching staff

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,472
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Skingraft said:

dave chappelle jokes GIF

That was a great episode.
Another one of my favorites.

Dave Chappelle Ihate You GIF - Dave Chappelle Ihate You I Dont Even Know You GIFs

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327

5 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

I agree with your first point. My push back on your second point is two fold.

First, If the staff were ALL black  we'd have Wakanda-level media attention, and this thread most definitely would exist.  Deion being a media magnet, mixed with the HBCU -> PWI conversation. If he then went and employed the best and brightest all Black coaching staff.  Oh good lord this place and the internet would get into a frenzy. Mix that with winning or heaven forbid losing and BOOM.

Secondly, historical context can't be ignored here.  We know that whiteness being written into law shaped our country and has had a lasting impact on every aspect of our everyday life.

Assuming we agree with that premise, racial discrimination doesn't carry the same weight in reverse because of the historical baggage that comes with it. We come off as disingenuous when we ignore the impact of legislated segregation. 

Furthermore, affording opportunities that would normally go to groups in power by default, to overly qualified but previously disenfranchised groups, isn't discrimination, it's restorative practice. 

So to haphazardly say "If we did this in reverse the world would be in an uproar..." is disconcerting, because the only way you can come to that conclusion is to ignore all context. 

*my apologies if my logic train is off the tracks right now. I'm exhausted but can't sleep.

I can see where you're coming from, but unfortunately I have a hard time seeing life through that lens. Colorado University, the PWI of all PWIs... I just visited their fan forum website and a thread about the skin color of the coaching staff doesn't exist. Take DS out of the equation, insert black coaching staff names here, would a thread like this still exist here? I truly believe it would not.

To me, discrimination is discrimination. Yes, there is more baggage with the black community and the history of this country. That said, we can't say it matters more for the black community versus X community because then we're just fostering the same ideals that got us here to begin with.

Diversification for the sake of diversification is counterprotective towards the goals of any organization. If we could find a female, lesbian, person of color, and  she can go 12-0 I'm all for it. I really don't think it matters to most bull's fans. There are a lot of blanket statements and assumptions about racism and this coaching staff that seem to be completely unfounded at this point in time.  Have the hires at this point been mostly white, yes, and what's the point of pointing that out, just to get things riled up? It's a little upsetting to be completely honest. All we want are results on the field at this point and the coaching staff hasn't had a chance to show anything and accusations are already being made.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,605
  • Days Won:  424

5 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

Secondly, historical context can't be ignored here.  We know that whiteness being written into law shaped our country and has had a lasting impact on every aspect of our everyday life.

While I've got no problem at all with the second sentence, I do with the first. While I'm not naive enough to think that there isn't some racism still going on in sports, it is one of the places that more mirrors what I think most rational people want all aspects of society to look like one day. Sports is one of the most colorblind things we have going on right now and I just don't see trying to insert racism (the op can deny it all he wants but if it walks like a duck ....) into this particular situation.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

31 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That was a great episode.
Another one of my favorites.

Dave Chappelle Ihate You GIF - Dave Chappelle Ihate You I Dont Even Know You GIFs

Dave Chappelle Player Haters Ball GIF