• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Allen and NIL at Indiana

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,074
  • Days Won:  469

We'll have a board for it.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

22 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So should we try to continue to spend on things that everyone continues to point out are of zero value in today’s world or should we be grateful for a reduced budget and the ability to pivot any and all funds into the one thing that continually is pointed out as the only difference maker between success and failure? Cheap coaches + cheap rent in a stadium better than we can build = more money to throw at NIL and it would be even better if we could sell the IPF for scrap and get back all the money wasted on paying people to fail at coaching as well as the money wasted on paying them to stop failing at coaching.

For someone with a Ted Lasso avatar, you sure are negative about everything

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,074
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Tom Allen, former USF DC, has been mentioned as a possible candidate for USF if he is let go by the Hoosiers.  Interesting to see how NIL is dramatically affecting IU football.

Interesting how his experience with NIL might influence his interest in a school with very little NIL.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

That article was kinda sad.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

It’s not everything, but it’s a variable, and if you don’t have that variable, I’m telling you, they can love you as much as they want, they can think you’re the most awesome person, they can love your culture, and they say “Coach, it’s been great to meet you, I’m going to go somewhere else and get my money.’"

Just another day at the office, boys. Now would be the time to embrace the fact that the have-and-have-not-DMZ is clearly marked. But what happens to all those schools that simply don't, or will not, have the NIL funding to produce a seat-at-the-big-peoples-table team? Is there a point where you simply accept the fact that you're destined for G5land in perpetuity and should just get used to it? 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

It’s not everything, but it’s a variable, and if you don’t have that variable, I’m telling you, they can love you as much as they want, they can think you’re the most awesome person, they can love your culture, and they say “Coach, it’s been great to meet you, I’m going to go somewhere else and get my money.’"

Just another day at the office, boys. Now would be the time to embrace the fact that the have-and-have-not-DMZ is clearly marked. But what happens to all those schools that simply don't, or will not, have the NIL funding to produce a seat-at-the-big-peoples-table team? Is there a point where you simply accept the fact that you're destined for G5land in perpetuity and should just get used to it? 

Indiana is a p5. Plenty of p5 teams will be left behind. eventually the top 30 programs will break off forming something similar to the NFL. I'm ok with that. I'm tired of the money grab that has become college athletics.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

21 minutes ago, Brad said:

Interesting how his experience with NIL might influence his interest in a school with very little NIL.

Funny thing is Tom Allen makes $4.9m per year. Maybe he should donate half to the NIL instead of complaining that he only has $1.5m to spend on players.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

27 minutes ago, ForestBull said:

For someone with a Ted Lasso avatar, you sure are negative about everything

I guess it’s a matter of perspective, I see it as being positive that there is an executable path forward instead of being defeated because we can’t afford all of these things and nil money. That begs the question to me why spend the money on all of these other things just because that’s the way people used to do things before the world changed. Taking on a challenge is a lot like riding a horse, isn’t it? If you’re comfortable while you’re doing it, you’re probably doing it wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

47 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So should we try to continue to spend on things that everyone continues to point out are of zero value in today’s world or should we be grateful for a reduced budget and the ability to pivot any and all funds into the one thing that continually is pointed out as the only difference maker between success and failure? Cheap coaches + cheap rent in a stadium better than we can build = more money to throw at NIL and it would be even better if we could sell the IPF for scrap and get back all the money wasted on paying people to fail at coaching as well as the money wasted on paying them to stop failing at coaching.

I was with you until you said the IPF should be scrapped.  That legitimately has a purpose.  In freaking Florida we need a way to practice during storms.  Just embarrassing for us not to have it.

Hell I would argue the dedicated football facility would be still be worthwhile even as the immediate ROI is not as great as NIL.  If you have a recruit deciding between two schools with comparable NILs, but one has nicer facilities that the other straight up doesn't have....who is he going to pick?  

The stadium on the other hand, that's a downgrade going from RayJay to OCS.  So I'm fine skipping it.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,355
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Tom Allen, former USF DC, has been mentioned as a possible candidate for USF if he is let go by the Hoosiers.  Interesting to see how NIL is dramatically affecting IU football.

Tom-Allen-Locker-Rooms-e1656997314905.jp

“Recruits, come play for this man.  Best coach in America.” That was Indiana offensive lineman Dylan Powell, who interrupted Tom Allen’s post-game interview on ABC after...

Hmmmm he spurned us after one of the best defenses (Bullsharks) for Indiana and stole our recruits too. His “ play in the Big 10” pitch won’t work here. Hmmmm… I’d be careful. He jettisoned us before.