• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Allen and NIL at Indiana

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

I was with you until you said the IPF should be scrapped.  That legitimately has a purpose.  In freaking Florida we need a way to practice during storms.  Just embarrassing for us not to have it.

Hell I would argue the dedicated football facility would be still be worthwhile even as the immediate ROI is not as great as NIL.  If you have a recruit deciding between two schools with comparable NILs, but one has nicer facilities that the other straight up doesn't have....who is he going to pick?  

The stadium on the other hand, that's a downgrade going from RayJay to OCS.  So I'm fine skipping it.

It definitely has a purpose but if someone offered me $100k more to scrap my office for a cardboard box I’d figure it out. Ultimately the only people that will take no nil money are the people that have no nil offers and I don’t think them getting in 10 more practices is going to be a difference maker. If we have the money for both than great but since it seems like we do not the money spent on that would be better spent on players than a Twitter Headquarters. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It definitely has a purpose but if someone offered me $100k more to scrap my office for a cardboard box I’d figure it out. Ultimately the only people that will take no nil money are the people that have no nil offers and I don’t think them getting in 10 more practices is going to be a difference maker. If we have the money for both than great but since it seems like we do not the money spent on that would be better spent on players than a Twitter Headquarters. 

I agree  but I think we need to take it out of the coaches/athletic director salary first.

It's ridiculous how much they make.

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I agree  but I think we need to take it out of the coaches/athletic director salary first.

It's ridiculous how much they make.

Oh I agree and obviously since the ipf is built there isn’t much we can do about that, it’s just highlighting that capital investments are pretty dumb right now when the money is better spent on solidifying the labor force in this more competitive labor market 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Realistically we will still be competing among G5 schools in a similar boat as us.  And that *will* include recruits without NIL offers.  No different than the past when we couldn't snag 4 &5 star players, we still have to entice better players.

And I'm just saying we already let UCF pass us by with facilities and recruiting advantages...let's not allow FAU to come along and say "hey we're gonna be the best of the rest" and outspend us on tangible facilities that will last longer than NIL money spent for 3 years of service.

4 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Realistically we will still be competing among G5 schools in a similar boat as us.  And that *will* include recruits without NIL offers.  No different than the past when we couldn't snag 4 &5 star players, we still have to entice better players.

And I'm just saying we already let UCF pass us by with facilities and recruiting advantages...let's not allow FAU to come along and say "hey we're gonna be the best of the rest" and outspend us on tangible facilities that will last longer than NIL money spent for 3 years of service.

If nil can get the number one recruit in the nation to Jackson State NIL will get us anyone we are able and willing to write a bigger check to than their next best options. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

If nil can get the number one recruit in the nation to Jackson State NIL will get us anyone we are able and willing to write a bigger check to than their next best options. 

Why Deion is the best hire we could get. He didn't go there because Jackson State's NIL collective. He got 250k from Barstool to play under Deion.

We get Deion and we get the NIL backing that comes with it.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Why Deion is the best hire we could get. He didn't go there because Jackson State's NIL collective. He got 250k from Barstool to play under Deion.

We get Deion and we get the NIL backing that comes with it.

Deion won't come here. He's not in it for the money. Gets paid $300k per year and donated half of that towards their facilities. Most of these kids are being paid by black owned companies to go to a HBCU. Barstool was a rumor.

9244a6a9-6eaf-4ec8-a26d-ddc40614bba4-TCL

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders said on ESPN that rumors of a deal between Travis Hunter and Barstool are false.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Yes but at a certain point we will be competing with people at our same NIL level who *also* have the facilities we lack.

Unless the plan is to stay in the G5 forever.

Skip the 300 million on a stadium and figure out how to play the NIL game with that.  But keep the 30 million for a dedicated facility that can also help us recruit at the same level we want to be at.  That way when NIL is a wash between offers, we are still at the table.

Plus (and I think nobody mentions it but they should) how long will this this era of the NIL last?  If the fans get more and more jaded by all the money and tune out...you can bet espn and it's lobbyists will figure out a way to regulate things.  That or maybe enough senators get pissed that their alma matters aren't getting big NIL deals and they decide to reel it in.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

8 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

If the fans get more and more jaded by all the money and tune out...you can bet espn and it's lobbyists will figure out a way to regulate things.  That or maybe enough senators get pissed that their alma matters aren't getting big NIL deals and they decide to reel it in.

This is what I am waiting for.  After the elimination of several schools, when the the big boys are trying to outspend each other it "will need reform".

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Sounds like Tom Allen is making excuses for his team’s **** play.

Are teams like Minnesota reaping in the benefits of NIL that much more than Indiana? They don’t seem to be doing too bad in the B1G. I’d think the hoosiers probably have more $$$ boosters than the gophers, what’s the real difference? 🤔

I’m sure had you asked Boyles or Grier about fCJS they would’ve also said “he’s a great coach! Come to USF!” While results on the field say otherwise. 

Tom Allen and excuses isn’t what USF needs right now. I really hope we don’t hire him as HC - Joey Knight thinks he’s a solid candidate for us.