• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

With Gerry out, let's look at our options at QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,115
  • Days Won:  56

If the OC doesn't feel confident enough to call a few designed QB runs with Marsh in the game, then he shouldn't be the starter. We're not going to have any chance if the quarterback run game isn't part of the offense. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,529
  • Days Won:  28

March can throw 50 yard bombs with the flick of the wrist. Besides Blake Barnett and Mike White, I think he may have the strongest arm of any QB we have ever had. If his passing replaces the QB run with more big throws, I can live with him staying in the pocket. If he needs to run, just let it be in a str8 line and only if needed. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

15 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If the OC doesn't feel confident enough to call a few designed QB runs with Marsh in the game, then he shouldn't be the starter. We're not going to have any chance if the quarterback run game isn't part of the offense. 

A few, to maybe keep the defense honest, but you're not using him the way GB was being used ...

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

March can throw 50 yard bombs with the flick of the wrist. Besides Blake Barnett and Mike White, I think he may have the strongest arm of any QB we have ever had. If his passing replaces the QB run with more big throws, I can live with him staying in the pocket. If he needs to run, just let it be in a str8 line and only if needed. 

Quite honestly, I could care less about how far or how hard he can throw it. It's not really a factor. We did nothing with strong-armed Blake Barnett and Mike White. We were most dangerous with good-enough armed Matt Grothe and Quinton Flowers. Not sure why people are wowed by arm strength. It's all about accuracy, timing and going to the right guy with the ball. Or in the case of Grothe and Flowers, the ability to move and make something out of nothing.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Quite honestly, I could care less about how far or how hard he can throw it. It's not really a factor. We did nothing with strong-armed Blake Barnett and Mike White. We were most dangerous with good-enough armed Matt Grothe and Quinton Flowers. Not sure why people are wowed by arm strength. It's all about accuracy, timing and going to the right guy with the ball. See: Tom Brady

I am more in this camp too.  Whenever we have gone this route in the past, we attempt about 3 big shots down the field and they all miss and we punt. 

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I am more in this camp too.  Whenever we have gone this route in the past, we attempt about 3 big shots down the field and they all miss and we punt. 

The whole strong-armed thing reminds me of the dunkers in basketball. They can't shoot the ball from the field or the free throw line, but those two dunks sure look good on the highlight tape - even though they still only get you two points and probably a big "L" at the end of the night. See: Caleb Murphy

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,529
  • Days Won:  3

41 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Roll out of pocket and throw it away. That will be Marsh’s biggest tool to help him. He needs to be able to progress through his reads and avoid turnovers. Get that run game going and he will hopefully do fine.

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Quite honestly, I could care less about how far or how hard he can throw it. It's not really a factor. We did nothing with strong-armed Blake Barnett and Mike White. We were most dangerous with good-enough armed Matt Grothe and Quinton Flowers. Not sure why people are wowed by arm strength. It's all about accuracy, timing and going to the right guy with the ball. Or in the case of Grothe and Flowers, the ability to move and make something out of nothing.

Did you see the 2 TD passes he had in the last game? That looked pretty accurate to me. Of course accuracy plays it's part. As much as I love running QBs, CJS added 26 pass catchers and 8 running backs to this team. GB is injured BECAUSE of a QB run. We had success with flowers and BJ Daniels b/c they ran better than they threw. Same with GB. At first, he wasn't in rhythm so he started running and once he found his rhythm the passing game improved. Marsh has the quickest release and strongest arm on this team. We have speed and those receivers need to figure out how to get open. And of course, If Marsh can't fix his accuracy issues, then next man up. We are too fixated on running QBs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The whole strong-armed thing reminds me of the dunkers in basketball. They can't shoot the ball from the field or the free throw line, but those two dunks sure look good on the highlight tape - even though they still only get you two points and probably a big "L" at the end of the night. See: Caleb Murphy

Strong arms leads to quick TDs just like a dunk is the MOST EFFICIENT shot in basketball. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

22 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

And of course, If Marsh can't fix his accuracy issues, then next man up. We are too fixated on running QBs. 

I think the problem is that we are shell shocked from these pocket passer attempts.  But this O line is good.  🤔