• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ECU @ USF @ FAU

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  568
  • Days Won:  1

Last night was pretty harrowing even in Ft. Lauderdale.  I am about 10-15 miles South from where the game will be played Saturday.   We lost power for 6 hours, but it was restored by this morning.  I did a few perimeter checks at my house, and found no real damage, but experienced lots of rain and wind throughout the night and morning.

I'm pretty sure the damage in our area is minimal compared to what a near direct hit or hard glancing blow that Tampa will be getting.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I am thinking many people are not experienced managing large projects.

It’s all that I do, being risk adverse is often romanticized by the fearful but it’s only difference from being risk seeking is that it pays off in cost all of the time for things that were unlikely to happen. Was Ray Jay likely to experience weather? Absolutely. Was it likely that it would be impossible to play the game on Saturday? Absolutely Not. Playing a 5 pm game had a high probability of not being able to start, we didn’t seem to avoid that foreseeable issue that had people in the stadium for long periods of what would be the actual in danger period. 

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I am thinking many people are just chronic, nit picking ***** and moaners .....

Wrong. And I actually said that I appreciate that they didn’t just try to cancel the game entirely. That being said I understand why some people wouldn’t like the decision and it’s absurd to take a position that this is what has to be done. It was definitely one of the options, it definitely wasn’t the worst option but it’s hardly a cut and dry this is the only option and the one that made the most probable sense. There is often a sense in the face of issues that I need to something which unfairly discounts the value of doing nothing in the equation, even when it is more likely to yield the positive result.

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

36 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The NFL knows more and demonstrates at every moment that it can that it is a made for tv event. The next day the NFL is playing a Sunday night game that that is of greater importance from a tv perspective than if it was just a run of the mill 1 pm game. The NFL appears to have determined that game is in no way at risks of not being able to be played at Ray Jay which makes it hard to conclude that it would be like impossible to play a similar event the day before. Also one of the beautiful things about renting is there is much less you are responsible for planning and preparing. Much of the stadium staff is going to be in town on Saturday because they are required to work on Sunday. 

Really? So parking lots won't drain more in 24 hours? More downed trees and electrical lines can't be fixed in 24 hours? You sometimes just make me crazy. Other times you just irritate me. 😀

An aside, as we were driving back from L'ville on Monday we saw electrical and tree crews coming down 75 from Ohio, KY, Indiana, Michigan and I'm probably missing a couple. God bless those guys.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

9 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Really? So parking lots won't drain more in 24 hours? More downed trees and electrical lines can't be fixed in 24 hours? You sometimes just make me crazy. Other times you just irritate me. 😀

An aside, as we were driving back from L'ville on Monday we saw electrical and tree crews coming down 75 from Ohio, KY, Indiana, Michigan and I'm probably missing a couple. God bless those guys.

Add to that more time for the field to dry out and not be dug up from a game the day before. There are so many variables in this decision that we have no clue about ...... but the blame USF first crowd is in full form.

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Yes they absolutely will get more accomplished in 24 hours and I did say parking was the only legitimate concern, but the good news about that in my little outcome sketch is that the worse it is the less parking you will likely need and we already require significantly less parking than the Bucs Chiefs. In the extra 24 hours they would likely have considered it necessary to clear every road to the stadium where as we just need one path. The scales between the two events and the necessity of being finished a day later are what make it highly unlikely that the smaller event the day before would be impossible, if our event was much bigger or if the NFL moved the Bucs game that changes the math but as it lied at the time and now it was pretty simple to conclude that there was only a small chance of not being able to play at Ray Jay on Saturday and not much worse than most Saturdays. 

The main reason I see for moving is practice. Moving an nfl team back and fourth is easier because you have every resource in the world. Moving us with less resources and one less day is a far bigger issue I believe than having the same event, in the same place  1/4 the size 24 hrs earlier.

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Yes they absolutely will get more accomplished in 24 hours and I did say parking was the only legitimate concern, but the good news about that in my little outcome sketch is that the worse it is the less parking you will likely need and we already require significantly less parking than the Bucs Chiefs. In the extra 24 hours they would likely have considered it necessary to clear every road to the stadium where as we just need one path. The scales between the two events and the necessity of being finished a day later are what make it highly unlikely that the smaller event the day before would be impossible, if our event was much bigger or if the NFL moved the Bucs game that changes the math but as it lied at the time and now it was pretty simple to conclude that there was only a small chance of not being able to play at Ray Jay on Saturday and not much worse than most Saturdays. 

The main reason I see for moving is practice. Moving an nfl team back and fourth is easier because you have every resource in the world. Moving us with less resources and one less day is a far bigger issue I believe than having the same event, in the same place  1/4 the size 24 hrs earlier.

To the first, not everyone actually lives on Dale Mabry or Himes. Some people live, you know, in developments and other streets.

To the second, if we had an OCS we could have done this: UCF’s home game against SMU is being pushed back from Saturday to Sunday. It’s scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and will air on a to-be-determined ESPN network.   And this doesn't sway my being against an OCS.

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

To the first, not everyone actually lives on Dale Mabry or Himes. Some people live, you know, in developments and other streets.

To the second, if we had an OCS we could have done this: UCF’s home game against SMU is being pushed back from Saturday to Sunday. It’s scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and will air on a to-be-determined ESPN network.   And this doesn't sway my being against an OCS.

I didn’t say that it was guaranteed to be the most convenient path to the game just that there would definitely be a path by that day accessible by 275. UCF moving their game back a day doesn’t seem like a major imposition which I’m sure we would have considered if it were possible, that doesn’t mean it would be impossible for them on Saturday. 

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I didn’t say that it was guaranteed to be the most convenient path to the game just that there would definitely be a path by that day accessible by 275. UCF moving their game back a day doesn’t seem like a major imposition which I’m sure we would have considered if it were possible, that doesn’t mean it would be impossible for them on Saturday. 

All I said was we could do that if we had an OCS. And, if you want to be technical you did say "one path".

Look what having time for sitting in the house does to me. I'm engaging with you. HOLY CRAP.

Edited by CousinRicky

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

All I said was we could do that if we had an OCS. And, if you want to be technical you did say "one path".

Look what having time for sitting in the house does to me. I'm engaging with you. HOLY CRAP.

**** you Ian! Certainly one of the more unfortunate events that will hit this area.