• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Former USF HC Undefeated So Far In His First Pro Football Gig

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Not going to call his time here a success but he did beat Miami and Notre Dame.  So he gets some kudos from me. Late game coaching was questionable. 

Yes he does..those were great victories. Down side was(as I remember) we then lost or our 3 or 4 games?? I could be wrong but....not 100% wrong

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Holtz was doomed.  Followed Jim Leavitt whose 8-9 win seasons were considered underperforming.  Administrators wanted a "smiley-faced, hug first" policy.  He had no chance as a football coach under the Woolard/Genshaft (me first) regime.  Most of us would admit he was a good hire on paper.  He was walking into a no-win situation. 

Agreed. I liked the hire initially. A mystery to me how he was good before and after USF though....I think those two are the answer. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Holtz was doomed.  Followed Jim Leavitt whose 8-9 win seasons were considered underperforming.  Administrators wanted a "smiley-faced, hug first" policy.  He had no chance as a football coach under the Woolard/Genshaft (me first) regime.  Most of us would admit he was a good hire on paper.  He was walking into a no-win situation. 

I appreciate these points as mine are somewhat similar.  I admit to sometimes being totally unfair to ol' Skip.  He was probably the most decent person we have had at the helm.  Some of my personal complaints were more mocking those who made those 8 and 9 win seasons seem like the 2 win seasons we are now accustomed to and were certain that a change at coach was all that was needed.  Of course, at the same time, we had some on here excited about the possibility of four 16 team conferences and were certain that USF was a shoo in.  Yeah, right. It is true fans can be irrational.   Holtz has a more laid back approach when compared with the craziness which  Leavitt  at times exhibited and I think that plays into folks thinking he wasn't passionate enough.   I think if Holtz were to be hired now (rather than back in 2010) and had similar results, he would not be vilified near as much as he has been. 

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,091
  • Days Won:  56

15 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You would be totally wrong in thinking that. He was hoping for this to be a lifelong gig. He's actually a hard working guy with a love for the offensive side of the ball. I'm done defending him on here but other than here he's been a fairly successful coach.

He didn't recruit worth a lick. The team he left Willie Taggart that first year was the smallest and slowest in USF history.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075

On 5/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, slick1ru2 said:

AAXzBAF.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f

On a more important note, there is something terribly wrong and terrifying about this photo. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

11 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

He didn't recruit worth a lick. The team he left Willie Taggart that first year was the smallest and slowest in USF history.

Not totally absolving him but I don't think he had the same "leeway" when it came to recruiting that CJL had ...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

22 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Yea that was his demise...I think he is a decent coach with good talent and as it left the program it wasn't replaced till Taggart got here.

I do think the academic board or whatever it was did him no favors also. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

It's a Holtz new era!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

The Ball State loss in Muncie was what convinced me he wasn't going to be the guy to take USF successfully beyond Leavitt. Best of luck to him elsewhere; it didn't work out here.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

33 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

The Ball State loss in Muncie was what convinced me he wasn't going to be the guy to take USF successfully beyond Leavitt. Best of luck to him elsewhere; it didn't work out here.

Even his first year that loss to Syracuse was actually a bad sign I felt. We never lost to them previously. 

But that Ball State loss...board had a big meltdown over that one.