• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Former USF HC Undefeated So Far In His First Pro Football Gig

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Watch out Bill Belichick!

AAXcBz6.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f

Skip Holtz, son of legendary college football coach Lou Holtz, looks to make the undefeated Birmingham Stallions even better as the USFL season goes on.
AAXzBAF.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f

The only true home team for the USFL’s inaugural (sort of) season has made the most of its advantage. The Birmingham Stallions ran
Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

I'll never hope for anyone to fail however, I will always think SH never had much interest in coaching USF. He seems to be successful at all places except, USF. 

shrug.gif

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

13 hours ago, BulledOver said:

I'll never hope for anyone to fail however, I will always think SH never had much interest in coaching USF. He seems to be successful at all places except, USF. 

shrug.gif 

You would be totally wrong in thinking that. He was hoping for this to be a lifelong gig. He's actually a hard working guy with a love for the offensive side of the ball. I'm done defending him on here but other than here he's been a fairly successful coach.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You would be totally wrong in thinking that. He was hoping for this to be a lifelong gig. He's actually a hard working guy with a love for the offensive side of the ball. I'm done defending him on here but other than here he's been a fairly successful coach.

We used to sit in the stands and be able to call whether every play was run or pass just based on if the 6'10" receiver was on (Alex Mutt maybe). I don't think he had a single catch all season. It may have been Todd Fitch's fault, but that offense with the T-backs was almost as painful Willie's pre-snap shifts.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703

6 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Yep he was such a hard working guy that he needed that golfing vacation during an important on-campus recruiting event.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

?? Amazing how folks like to tell others they are "wrong". You and he may have been best buddies but I was referring to his value and poor results at USF. Your last sentence would align with my "correct" statement. As for the personal take ironically, we had a cottage on a lake in NC. Our place was around the point from the Holtz place(they sold it when he took USF job). A number of times we would be around that way in the boat/kayak and say hello to them. The entire family seemed very friendly/nice. See, we agree on the personalized portion but, he didnt build a consistent winner at USF. I too find it quite odd (maybe even telling) that he succeeded at ECU, LaTech and now the USFL but not at USF--odd indeed. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,580
  • Days Won:  29

He's the only team that has a Home Field advantage.

On paper, they were picked last before the season.

3 hours ago, USFRaider said:

Yep he was such a hard working guy that he needed that golfing vacation during an important on-campus recruiting event.

I do believe that he liked to Gulf fish also...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Not going to call his time here a success but he did beat Miami and Notre Dame.  So he gets some kudos from me. Late game coaching was questionable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Holtz was doomed.  Followed Jim Leavitt whose 8-9 win seasons were considered underperforming.  Administrators wanted a "smiley-faced, hug first" policy.  He had no chance as a football coach under the Woolard/Genshaft (me first) regime.  Most of us would admit he was a good hire on paper.  He was walking into a no-win situation. 

• Upvote 2