• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brian Gregory "news"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

You have to these days....gotta give everything.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

On 3/29/2022 at 12:12 PM, smazza said:

i thnk cjs is the real deal

this year is key

dont think so youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

I hope he is, but I think pinning hopes on a year we start off playing BYU, Florida and Louisville is asking to be hurt.  I honestly don't know what a realistic expectation is at this point though.... hopefully we get solid QB play, no blowouts and fun to watch games.

Going back to the topic at hand tho, for those of you that actually watch basketball, aside from wins/losses what have you seen in regards to Gregory?  I can watch football games and tell where coaching fails, but I couldn't hope to do that for bball.  And I don't mean generic 'he can't coach them up' stuff.  Is it just 'they don't make enough baskets' or are they always out of position/look lost?

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

CBG is a nice guy and says the right things.  I think his defensive philosophy and offensive philosophy is to always try and play at pace to keep it close.  Our defense at times is good enough to win, but we dont play a style of defense that generates any offense. However, offensively there have not been many bright spots over the last 4 years.  These kids know how to shoot a basketball or they wouldn't have made it this far.  This coaching staff doesn't know how to coach these players up, nor get them to be able to play with confidence consistently within the Princeton style of offense that Gregory wants to run.   This lack of confidence is why we struggle consistently with scoring.  There are so many players at the Div 1 level and the fact that we can't find guards who can create space and get their shot, or post players that have decent footwork around the rim. Every facet of our offense struggles........yet most times I would say the players need to play, in this situation coaches need to coach

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

9 minutes ago, monktified said:

Our defense at times is good enough to win, but we dont play a style of defense that generates any offense. However, offensively there have not been many bright spots over the last 4 years.  These kids know how to shoot a basketball or they wouldn't have made it this far.  This coaching staff doesn't know how to coach these players up, nor get them to be able to play with confidence consistently within the Princeton style of offense that Gregory wants to run.   This lack of confidence is why we struggle consistently with scoring. 

This about sums it up. Are there numbers out there on fastbreak points in college basketball? 

feel like other teams always have so many more than us, wondering if that not only puts points on the board but also gets guys into a rhythm. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I keep opening this thread with the hope he has been fired. 

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, monktified said:

. . .  This coaching staff doesn't know how to coach these players up, nor get them to be able to play with confidence consistently within the Princeton style of offense that Gregory wants to run.   This lack of confidence is why we struggle consistently with scoring . . .

The Princeton Variant of the motion offense (like all basic motion offenses) is designed to address this very issue.  If executed properly, the team should be getting layups and easy jump shots

The fact that the team is struggling running CBG’s chosen offense points back to one thing - coaching 

A motion offense is easy to understand and run at the youth level, where players  are mostly unselfish.  It is quite challenging to run at the collegiate level, where players want to show off for ESPN and the NBA

The funny thing is that when motion is run properly (at any level of basketball) it is almost impossible to defend - the fact that CBG and his staff can not get it to work speaks volumes about their ability to select and coach players within their chosen offensive system

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

A motion offense is easy to understand and run at the youth level, where players  are mostly unselfish.  It is quite challenging to run at the collegiate level, where players want to show off for ESPN and the NBA

The funny thing is that when motion is run properly (at any level of basketball) it is almost impossible to defend - the fact that CBG and his staff can not get it to work speaks volumes about their ability to select and coach players within their chosen offensive system

Good points. Players are harder to coach these days.  It’s mostly not looked at as a team sport.  It’s gotten pretty rotten.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

51 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

The Princeton Variant of the motion offense (like all basic motion offenses) is designed to address this very issue.  If executed properly, the team should be getting layups and easy jump shots

The fact that the team is struggling running CBG’s chosen offense points back to one thing - coaching 

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Good points. Players are harder to coach these days.  It’s mostly not looked at as a team sport.  It’s gotten pretty rotten.  

The Princeton offense had its most success before the shot clock. You could run back door crap all day until one opened up and you got a layup.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Theoretically, shouldn't that work in our favor since the offense we're trying to run relies less on superstars (we sure as hell aren't signing any real ones who are thinking 1 or 2 or even 3 and done) and more on a balanced team approach? Or is this even more of a knock on CBG since he shouldn't need starts to make this work?

The problem is most kids think they’re NBA material.