• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No More Rumors - Official AAC Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  97
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Triple B said:

Probably the most level headed, succinct take on all what's going and the approach that needs to be taken ..... we're also only four years away from double digit wins and top 25 finishes but people want to just ignore that because it doesn't fit in with their ******** about the last decade. It definitely sucks right now and I get the frustration but hopefully things improve enough that those fans planning to bail on the program reconsider.

Timing is everything.

If we were in top 25 last season than we are in the B12
If we went to a big bowl game in 2017 we are in B12

If the other schools had bad luck with there coaching hires they wouldn’t have been invited

We need to make the best of this and that’s playing better teams by going indipendent. This is more important than ever. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Local Bully said:

Timing is everything.

If we were in top 25 last season than we are in the B12
If we went to a big bowl game in 2017 we are in B12

If the other schools had bad luck with there coaching hires they wouldn’t have been invited

We need to make the best of this and that’s playing better teams by going indipendent. This is more important than ever. 

1. How will athletics survive with no tv contract (or one less than $500k)?

2. Where will you park basketball? What conference wants USF basketball only?

3. Schedules are put together years in advance. The big schools as you describe them are full for the next four.  B12 will most likely start chapter 2 in about four years.

4. Where do you park the olympic sports?

5. Are you prepared for four home games a year? 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959

3 hours ago, HyperBullee said:

ESPN is funneling everyone to buy MickyMouse+ or whatever.

I've wondered about this, with Cable usage dropping and streaming services taking over. Do physical media markets even matter anymore when fewer and fewer people watch traditional broadcast TV and cable? Maybe ads are still regionally- or locally-targeted, even with streaming? I dunno. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, widerberg said:

I've wondered about this, with Cable usage dropping and streaming services taking over. Do physical media markets even matter anymore when fewer and fewer people watch traditional broadcast TV and cable? Maybe ads are still regionally- or locally-targeted, even with streaming? I dunno. 

Ads still play a role but because I see the same ones over and over it tells me the inventory for as buys still has a way to go. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

18 hours ago, widerberg said:

Totally agree. At this point, I don't even care what the conference looks like. If we win it and keep winning, hopefully we get ranked, noticed, and called up. Worst case, we win and keep winning and don't get called up and we get to watch exciting football (it's exciting to me if we win, even if they're ugly wins at this point), we'll be collecting hardware, and it'll give alums a sense of pride. Even if we're in Metro 2.0/C-USA 3.0/AAC 2.0, if we win it, how can people not have pride? Now, a casual who has no connection to USF, will they care? I have no idea. I doubt they care now, so who cares. Maybe we can lure them with some sexy OOC games?

18 hours ago, 12inchtaint! said:

Brightside of this could be with the coming playoff expansion, this is an easier route in.  To be honest, the new B12 teams are going to be middle of the road teams like we were with the Big East.  With the new AAC the expectation should be a conf title every year and with good scheduling consistent contention for the G5 playoff spot.   

As a fanbase, we think extremely highly of ourselves, when in reality the best description of this program is "Eh/good".  No championships, a history of choking away winnable games that could have won us championships, and fans who harp on #2 like UCF harps on their national title. 

Realistic outlook for the next 5 years, and its not a bad one, would be:

1.  Announce an OCS this year to be completed in 4-5 years. 

2. Win 6-8 games NEXT year. (2022 Season) Start season at least 2-2 or hopefully 3-1 with wins over BYU, Howard, and Louisville. 

3. Start 2023 season 3-1 with a close/non blowout bama loss.  Win the new AAC.  Finish year ranked in top 20 

4. 2024 season starts with Louisville, NC State, Bama, WKU, win 3/4 and dont get blown out by Bama. Win AAC (dont lose a conf game). This should get us in the top 15 to end the year, that gets you in an expanded playoff if its there. 

5. 2025 Is the year we play Boise, UF, Miami and SJSU. This is a year we could go 4-0 to start the year, and again win AAC without losing a conference game- puts you right in the playoff picture.  Hope academics have grown to AAU status. 

This rolls right into a future expansion timeline. Do the above, or close to it and you cant be denied an upgraded conference invite.  If the program is not succesful by this time, then USF is a failed football program and everyone needs to accept that we are an AAC level team, and lucky to be that. 

10 hours ago, michibull said:

So, it has taken a long time to really process what has happened to us. If we are honest with ourselves, since we were called up to the Big East, we have won nothing in Football and Basketball. We will never be Florida, Florida State or Miami. CFB is creating a haves and have nots right now and even the new B12 is in a very vulnerable spot. At this point we need to accept this. I think we should build a nice 25-30k OCS with an option to expand built into it (it’s important to have this for the students experience  and alumni pride(almost ALL G5 schools have them), we are never going to capture fans of UF and FSU in Tampa now). Let’s have pride in our school and realize, we are where we deserve to be. If in the future we get called up, great; until then, let’s win our conference (whatever it is) as often as possible. I’m not happy either, but it’s where we are. I’m a Bull for life!!

ALL my thoughts exactly!

• Upvote 2

I do think, with the strength of schedule in this conference, that the out of conference games will become much more important. They use to say the same about the BE, that the strength of the conference games wasn't strong enough to get the rankings needed to playoff consideration. Will winning this conference get us the "highest ranked G5"?

Edited by BDYZR

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,649
  • Days Won:  6

23 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Will winning this conference get us the "highest ranked G5"?

That will depend on 4 teams year in and year out:  Boise, SDSU, Coastal and App State.

Edited by 79 Bull

24 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Will winning this conference get us the "highest ranked G5"?

I'm thinking that will depend on SoS, how we beat the teams we beat, and whether the selection committee likes USF that year. It's pretty subjective, but all we can do is try to get ranked as high as possible at the end of each year. If we get snubbed one year, hopefully it would create enough attention that we wouldn't be overlooked if in the same position the next year.

4 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

That will depend on 4 teams year in and year out:  Boise, SDSU, Coastal and App State.

The (old) AAC had 5 NY6 appearances to MWC's 1 and MAC's 1. Of course, 4 of those appearances were from UCF, Houston, and Cincy, so there's that. I think all we can do is win win win and eventually we'll get in there.

9 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

5 minutes ago, widerberg said:

I'm thinking that will depend on SoS, how we beat the teams we beat, and whether the selection committee likes USF that year. It's pretty subjective, but all we can do is try to get ranked as high as possible at the end of each year. If we get snubbed one year, hopefully it would create enough attention that we wouldn't be overlooked if in the same position the next year.

Exactly my point. I think that we would need to schedule stronger out of conference games.