• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

2 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

Next, the athletes will push to be considered employees, unionize, demand benefits, etc.

It will be interesting when the players go on strike for a cut of the 60M per year their school gets.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,733
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

It will be interesting when the players go on strike for a cut of the 60M per year their school gets.

Great point. Hope that doesn't happen. 😕

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Keanu Reeves Yes GIF by Max

We will find replacements if that happens

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

50 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

We will find replacements if that happens

Given trending demographics and our relative programs success, maybe...

Photos: High School Girls Flag Football Jamboree

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Offer them a share in the profits 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Interesting idea: we should offer them a free education at the school in which they play, valued at some schools in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they take their education seriously and get a degree in a desirable field they can get a good paying job that could potentially be worth millions over their lifetime. Of course, some will try to take the easier way out and major in something less than desirable in 2023. Being a part of a team can also help round them out as adults and teach them discipline and respect, both important for contributing to a developed society. Crazy idea, I know. Instead let’s keep bloating the college football system and creating more haves and have nots amongst these supposedly amateur athletes. 

Edited by USFBulls12
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, USFBulls12 said:

Interesting idea: we should offer them a free education at the school in which they play, valued at some schools in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they take their education seriously and get a degree in a desirable field they can get a good paying job that could potentially be worth millions over their lifetime. Of course, some will try to take the easier way out and major in something less than desirable in 2023. Being a part of a team can also help round them out as adults and teach them discipline and respect, both important for contributing to a developed society. Crazy idea, I know. Instead let’s keep bloating the college football system and creating more haves and have nots amongst these supposedly amateur athletes. 

A good job is not a guarantee of going to college though.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

A good job is not a guarantee of going to college though.

There are no guarantees in life. But at the end of the day they get a free education while there are millions of young adults every year who have to pay for that education and live with the loan debt without the same guarantee of a good job. It’s what you make of it. And additionally the notion of not getting a good job after college that we know about in our country partially stems from so many people graduating with undesirable degrees weighing down the statistics. However, these D1 players get to travel the country for years for free, get free food, free board, free books and education, get to play their favorite game against the best competition for their level and some are even looked at as Gods on their campus. Let’s instead pay 18-22 year olds with low financial intelligence some quick cash now so they can blow it living a showoff lifestyle they won’t be able to maintain after they fail to make the NFL and instead develop heavy drug and spending problems. I don’t foresee that leading to any destroyed lives or suicides once the money train ends. Reminds me a lot of lottery winners. Those without financial literacy almost always give it all back. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

My position has always been that athletes should be employed and receive the same benefits that graduate students do. 

A graduate student package often includes full tuition, and a monthly salary. When I was in graduate school ten years ago I received full tuition and $1700/mo ($20,400/yr). I lived on that with roommates and still had money left over to buy cheap plane tickets to visit my long distance girl friend (now wife). I don’t know why this was never considered.

Player endorsement and compensation arrangements aren’t the real problem.

I honestly think the penalty free transfer rules are more harmful to the stability of the sport than NIL or player compensation. 

How can a team be built if all of the athletes enter free agency every year? And can select new teams every season? It’s a mess. There should be limits on transferring. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Then start charging them for class,housing,food, and books.

• Upvote 2